Mint 17 Cinnamon on Toshiba Chromebook 2 (64 bit Baytrail)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nailed_barnacle
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 17 Cinnamon on Toshiba Chromebook 2 (64 bit Baytrail)

Post by nailed_barnacle »

Well, the good news is - it can finally be done. I'm posting this from a Mint-powered Toshiba CB2, which has a 64-bit Baytrail processor, 4GB ram, 16GB flash, a *gorgeous* ISP 1920 x 1080 screen, and no booting from USB in standard form.

To allow it to boot from a USB, it is necessary to remove the write-inhibit from the bios and install John Lewis's Seabios following the instructions here: http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/howto ... n-5-steps/ - note that this will invalidate your warranty and *may* brick your machine if you do it incorrectly. You will also be killing any data on your machine, though that shouldn't be a lot, depending how you use it.

Once you get to the stage where he installs Ubuntu, you boot from a pre-prepared Mint USB stick. You will come to places where you need to restart the machine - you'll need to hold down the power key for something like ten seconds to make it turn off.

I tested first the live install from 17.1
(a) Compatibility mode - keyboard not recognised, and only 2.4GHz recognised on the WiFi.
(b) Normal mode - keyboard works, but still only 2.4GHz WiFi. The boot phase included a long wait with just a rather disturbing grey screen with a single text cursor on it, but it got there in the end. I didn't progress further since I wanted the 5GHz Wifi.

17.2 I tested straight into normal mode (the grey phase was much shorter than with 17.1) - everything appeared to work at first sight, including both 2.4 and 5G WiFi, so I hit the install icon and - with the 'use the complete disc' option it installed from a generic USB stick in around ten minutes. Normally I'd have a separate partition for \home but on a disc this small there doesn't see a lot of point.

parted -l shows me this.
Model: MMC 016GE2 (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 15.8GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 11.6GB 11.5GB primary ext4 boot
2 11.6GB 15.8GB 4206MB extended
5 11.6GB 15.8GB 4206MB logical linux-swap(v1)

Nemo tells me there's 3.8GB available in /home but 4.2GB in swap.

Woohoo!

Now the bad news: three things don't work, and you may consider them show-stoppers...

1) touchpad doesn't do anything, and doesn't appear to be recognised. An external mouse, in my case a generic wireless optical mouse, works fine (and is my preferred option most of the time anyway - I don't particularly like touchpads or touch screens).
2) suspend doesn't work; it just crashes to black. Hibernation works but I'm guessing that it's writing the RAM state to the flash partition. With suspend working, I'd resize swap to around a gig, I think. The power key works correctly and brings up the shutdown message box.
3) sound doesn't work - unless you happen to have a second screen plugged in through the HDMI, in which case the sound through the second screen works fine. It appears that it's not actually recognising the headphone or internal speakers or microphones. Still investigating this one - though I can live without it, I'd like it to work. There are a couple of posts out there in the world if you dig deep enough that have some potential pointers.

For my use, I've turned off all the screen effects; Mint works fine without them and there's no point slowing it down or using extra power. All in all I am a happy bunny - I had previously been running Ubuntu Unity 14.04 through crouton - kudos to Mr Schneider for that but I just can't get on with the abominable Unity.

Any hints as to where to look for fixes for the outstanding issues would be gratefully received, but in the meantime once again, woohoo!

Neil
nailed_barnacle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon on Toshiba Chromebook 2 (64 bit Baytrai

Update 2

Using a micro-SD card in an adaptor shows as read-only to everything except root, even if permissions show me as the owner and with r/w access. The usual suspects don't fix this, including formatting as a dos partition table or as dos/ext4. Curiously, I can change the name of a directory if it's made previously by root and has had ownership set to me.

Tested with two different cards, one of 16GB and one of 64GB, one of which was know to work with the original ChromeOS and the other of which is brand new.

Neil
nailed_barnacle
Level 1
Level 1

Update 3

To get the touchpad and suspend working, it is necessary to upgrade the kernel to 4.2: instructions here - http://mintguide.org/system/482-install ... -mint.html

Neil
nailed_barnacle
Level 1
Level 1

For the sound - firmware must be updated. Current version (for me) is 1.127.12; an updated 1.143.3 is available for the Ubuntu Vivid build.

First do the system updates, then download the .deb from http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/all/li ... e/download

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge linux-firmware*
Install the .deb to your taste; I just clicked on it.

Follow the instructions on FascinatingCaptain's site (above) to replace asound.state and you will have at least loudspeaker output and HDMI output. It's still showing no input device yet, so there's still work to do...

Neil
steven4601
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steven4601 »

Hi all,

Hope this helps other linux users on their chromebooks with the baytrail hardware.

I bought a new FHD toshabbi chromebook 2 yesterday, installed mint 17.3 xfce4 on it straigt away.
Follow these instructions: http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/howto ... n-5-steps/
(bios from https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook- ... -download/)

everything rocked except for the sound.... my symptom was that I only had the HDMI outputs, no speakers, no analog.

I fixed it after i did the following:

1)
Update the kernel version from 3. something to 4.2.0-23 by the update manager. (start the gui version of the update manager, click View->Linux Kernels, click atleast the 4.2.0-23)

2)
update / install linux-firmware package through apt or whatever you like.

2b)
check /lib/firmware/intel for this file "https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm ... i2s_master"
if it is not there when you installed the linux-firmware package, copy this file into the firmware folder.... its blob, but better than nothing. you can perhaps try to source it from somewhere else if you don't like blobs from forum posts.

2c)
----- copied from the linux installation instruction from facinatingcaptain -----
Download the modified sound config file (asound.state) from https://gist.github.com/n1trux/3751a87f374a8af5f611
Open up a terminal window and type sudo alsa force-unload to kill the audio services.
Replace the system’s sound config file with the downloaded version:
Type sudo cp ~/Downloads/asound.state /var/lib/alsa

3) reboot, open pavucontrol and unmute your analog speakers, also perhaps check alsamixer , speaker should be enabled.

Tada!

Does this help?
nailed_barnacle
Level 1
Level 1

Did the microphone work? Mine doesn't as yet...

As an aside, though, I noticed this morning that the keys for screen brightness and volume have suddenly sprung to life, I think with a recent update (but I don't know which one!).

Neil
fullmoonguru
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fullmoonguru »

I had the same thing working. Installed 17.1 & upgraded to 17.3. It was all good until I tried to run a virtualbox. Wouldn't do it and Googling seemed to suggest teh problem was with kernel 4.2. Does anyone have VB working with this setup?
fullmoonguru
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fullmoonguru »

Also, I love teh 1280 screen but things are pretty small. What's the best way to keep the resolution but make things big enough to see? I know where to increase the size of the fonts but it's going to take more than that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”