Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DC80
Level 3
Level 3

[drivers] Nvidia drivers install but seems not to work

Post by DC80 »

Hi all,

I have a rather curious challenge. I have installed my computer with Linux Mint 17.2 after having windows installed. Kinda reinstalled it. It worked in the past fine but now I'm having troubles with my graphic card. It seems to function but not really properly.

When I boot, I get the "fallback" modus of Cinnamon. So I though having the driver of Nvidia installed would solve this problem but it is not. It is getting worse by the minute. At the moment of writing this topic I have a resolution of 640 x ??? (400 maybe???). Earlier on it was 1280 x ???? (on a monitor of 1920 x 1080).

After some research it says its the display driver. Apparently I can get the settings window but with very limited options. It seems I'm missing GLX and some other components which should be installed by the driver but it didn't.

Can someone help me on that? How do I diagnose this so I can find the solution? I did try to reinstall it and go back to the open source driver which gets me the fallback mode of Cinnamon. (which is odd since I get a normal screen in the past and not the fallback modus) .

This is some output of inxi.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,vesa,nouveau FAILED: nvidia tty size: 77x23 Advanced Data: N/A for root
I know, its an old card but it has worked fine! Well worth the money :-) (and still is, if this gets resolved :D)

Thank you in advance
"The future is predeterment by those who shape it"
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [drivers] Nvidia drivers install but seems not to work

Post by Pjotr »

Exactly which Nvidia driver did you try to install, and how?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DC80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DC80 »

I installed the driver that comes with Mint 17.2 and that is a legacy driver of Nvidia (304.* if not mistaken). I install this using the cinnamon settings window (at the bottom of non free/commercial drivers).
DC80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DC80 »

Maybe this helps too:

http://pastebin.com/K0Nudz2n

Return to “Installation & Boot”