Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dld
Level 1
Level 1

uefi, LMDE2, install GRuB

Post by dld »

ITs a long story. I have tried a lot of the suggestions for getting LMDE booted again after messing with the windows partition on my dual boot machine. I have install LMDE2 4 or more times now. I am running under the live CD at the moment. Doing the "grub-install" thing doesn't work__some thing about blocklists. The latest trial reveals "Legacy boot on HDD." You probably know exactly what articles I have been following.
I don't know how to create priority boot order entries for UEFI. Is there another versionI of LMDE2 for UEFI that I should be downloading and installing? Anything??
Don

golf4fun
Level 1
Level 1

Re: uefi, LMDE2, install GRuB

Post by golf4fun »

Enable Legacy mode in bios and Mint should work fine as uefi is supported just not secure boot
Mint KDE 64 bit.

dld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: uefi, LMDE2, install GRuB SOLVED

Post by dld »

I am running again. Loaded LMDE from 2014. Didn't make any difference. So I went after uefi boot priority entries. Deleted a duplicate, and finally managed to creat a path toward grub.efi. Select that priority and I was in to 2014 LMDE. I will forget LMDE2 for now.
Don

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: uefi, LMDE2, install GRuB

Post by srs5694 »

golf4fun wrote:Enable Legacy mode in bios and Mint should work fine as uefi is supported just not secure boot
If the computer is already booting Windows in EFI mode, then this is very bad advice! It's very important in a dual-boot configuration that both OSes boot in the same way (BIOS/CSM/legacy or EFI/UEFI). If one is installed in one way and the other is installed in the other way, then you're creating problems for yourself. If, OTOH, Windows is booting in BIOS mode, then Mint should be installed that way, too -- but then, the relevant support would already be active in the firmware, so this advice would be redundant.

The regular Mint certainly supports Secure Boot. I'm not sure about LMDE2, though.

To the original poster, please check:
The second and fourth of those are the most important for direct practical advice. The first and third provide more in the way of background that will help you understand what's going on.

Return to “Installation & Boot”