Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Arp
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by Arp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:11 am

Hi,

Is the first post in this thread still valid for mint 18? Because I installed to a usb drive, and this is too slow for my taste, but I only have a raid 5 in the computer, so the only option would be to install to the raid (how can the raid be assembled before the system is booted?) or to somehow have just enough on the usb stick to assemble the array from there and continue booting from the raid.

bennabiy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by bennabiy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am

I have not personally set up Linux Mint 18 in this fashion, but I would assume it will still work with some minor adjusting.

I also would like to add the following for clarity (I will edit the original post as well). Someone PMed me with a request for more info on what a certain set of commands do, so I would like to add my response to help others... Originally this was a post to help me remember the steps for the future and assumes certain understanding of the commands to know what to copy / paste and what is generic information.

Response below:

Here is a breakdown of the commands:
The following line:

Code: Select all

root@mint:~ # mount /dev/md127p1 /mnt; mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
mounts your root raid partition to /mnt (this could be any empty, but existing folder) and then mounts the EFI boot partition within the correct folder inside the root partition.
/dev/sda2 would change to whatever partition you set for your EFI boot partiton

The following:

Code: Select all

root@mint:~ # for i in /dev /dev/pts /sys /proc; do mount --bind $i /mnt$i; done
bind mounts (basically a way to have a folder in two places at once) certain directories into your new root partition. These folders are essential for being able to install software and such in a later step.

The following:

Code: Select all

root@mint:~ # echo "nameserver 4.2.2.4" > /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
writes a nameserver for dns resolution within the new root, allowing for software install (this will be overwritten upon your actual running of the system and is temporary)

The following:

Code: Select all

root@mint:~ # chroot /mnt
switches to your new environment you just set up and will be just like you were booted to it. This allows you to install software, edit configs etc as if you were booted to the system in console mode.

man pages are a great resource for finding out about commands as well, if what I have said does not make sense...

e.g.

Code: Select all

$ man chroot
$ man mount


Let me know if you need more clarity.

rippy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by rippy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 am

I just wanted to say what a great resource this thread has been.

I've just successfully installed 18.3 on a pair of RAID0 nvme m.2 960 EVOs using GPT and EFI on a new Threadripper system I've built. Looking forward to a ridiculously fast mint system very shortly once I transfer from my current machine. :D

Thanks all for the great info posted here!

Note, I'm hoping that the keywords above might help others that just discovered that nvme raid on x399 is fakeraid find this post on google. Not necro-posting without reason (I hope).

User avatar
coffee412
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by coffee412 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 am

rippy wrote:I just wanted to say what a great resource this thread has been.

I've just successfully installed 18.3 on a pair of RAID0 nvme m.2 960 EVOs using GPT and EFI on a new Threadripper system I've built. Looking forward to a ridiculously fast mint system very shortly once I transfer from my current machine. :D

Thanks all for the great info posted here!

Note, I'm hoping that the keywords above might help others that just discovered that nvme raid on x399 is fakeraid find this post on google. Not necro-posting without reason (I hope).
So, How do you like the Threadripper???

Like to hear you impression of it. I couldnt afford it at the time and it was not out when I upgraded. I have the x1800 which is sweet!
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

rippy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by rippy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 am

coffee412 wrote:So, How do you like the Threadripper???

Like to hear you impression of it. I couldnt afford it at the time and it was not out when I upgraded. I have the x1800 which is sweet!
Pretty good so far. Everything working well as far as I can tell. I'm running an all core 4.0 GHz overclock (1920x so 12 core 24 thread) with 32GB of ram @ 3200MHZ. Along with the NVME RAID, this thing is FAST. :wink:

Still need to do stability testing with this OC and see if I can go a bit higher, but I did some gaming just now and no issue at all. Not a super CPU intensive task, but still.

No issue so far in mint 18.3 with the hardware. Using Aorus Gamaing 7 board and everything working out of the box. Only GPU and microcode showed up in drivers. WiFi, Bluetooth, ethernet, USB, etc. all working perfectly.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with my choice. :D

nevl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by nevl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 am

Hii,.. wanna ask something, I've been searching how to install linux mint on raid for almost 2 weeks,.. :roll:
I wanna install LM18.3 to HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8.
actually this post is the best tutorial for installing LM to mdadm raid, but there's no explanation about partition or example of the partitions. I had read Laurent85's explanation to i8igmac (how has success installing and booting), but my installation is always fail to boot.
in my case, I had 4 HD and wanna create raid 10, using legacy BIOS.
my partition:
sda 500GB
-sda1 1GB bios boot
-sda2 497GB raid
-sda3 2GB swap

sdb 500GB
-sdb1 498GB raid
-sdb2 2GB swap

sdc 500GB
-sdc1 498GB raid
-sdc2 2 swap

sdd 500GB
-sdd1 498GB raid
-sdd2 2 swap

/dev/md0 +- 989GB (ext4)

I used cfdisk for make the partitions. and on installer I'm using manual disk format, make the /dev/md0 as / and format only swap partitions.

I already follow this step from Laurent85's:
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo chroot /mnt mount /proc
sudo chroot /mnt mount /sys
sudo chroot /mnt mount /dev/pts
sudo cp -a /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /mnt/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
sudo su
chroot /mnt
apt update
apt install mdadm
apt install grub-pc
grub-install /dev/sda -> on my installaton I tried grub-install /dev/sda1 and error
grub-install /dev/sdb
sync
exit
exit
I fail while trying to chroot /mnt mount /proc (same fail on /sys and /dev/pts), the error like "there's no /proc on /etc/fstab" (I forgot the full error)
and get error too on intalling grub.

anyone can help me, and sorry for my bad english..
NevL

User avatar
catweazel
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6319
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by catweazel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 am

nevl wrote:anyone can help me
Try these instructions: viewtopic.php?t=127676#p695514

It's from 2013 but I reviewed it and it should still apply. If you have issues, start a new thread.
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by Laurent85 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 am

nevl wrote: I already follow this step from Laurent85's:
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo chroot /mnt mount /proc
sudo chroot /mnt mount /sys
sudo chroot /mnt mount /dev/pts
sudo cp -a /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /mnt/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
sudo su
chroot /mnt
apt update
apt install mdadm
apt install grub-pc
grub-install /dev/sda -> on my installaton I tried grub-install /dev/sda1 and error
grub-install /dev/sdb
sync
exit
exit
I fail while trying to chroot /mnt mount /proc (same fail on /sys and /dev/pts), the error like "there's no /proc on /etc/fstab" (I forgot the full error)
and get error too on intalling grub.
Those instructions were for LM 17.x. On LM 18.x change instructions as follow:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo chroot /mnt mount -t proc proc /proc
sudo chroot /mnt mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
sudo chroot /mnt mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
sudo mount -o bind /run/resolvconf /mnt/run/resolvconf
sudo su
chroot /mnt
apt update
apt install mdadm
apt install grub-pc
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install /dev/sdb
sync
exit
exit
grub-install /dev/sda -> on my installaton I tried grub-install /dev/sda1 and error
Install grub in the MBR of sda, not in sda1. Grub will on its own use sda1 to store its core.img when free space missing. Your 1GB sda1 partition is way too large, only a few MB is required, say 2-4MB.
Image

nevl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by nevl » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Laurent85, thanks for your reply.
I just wanna make sure that my partitions is correct? I had 4 drives, must I create 4 boot bios (or other partitions type) on each drive witch each 4MB and grub-install on 4 drives ?
NevL

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by Laurent85 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:09 pm

nevl wrote:Hi Laurent85, thanks for your reply.
I just wanna make sure that my partitions is correct? I had 4 drives, must I create 4 boot bios (or other partitions type) on each drive witch each 4MB and grub-install on 4 drives ?
You can. Installing grub in the mbr of all drives you wiil be able to boot wathever the drive failing.
Image

BlackBox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by BlackBox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 am

Hi all.
How can I use this guide to install LMDE2 to mdadm RAID1 array?
I don't have ubiquity, so I can't launch it with option -b.
The LMDE2 installer doesn't let me choose RAID install option.

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by Laurent85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 am

It's possible to install in expert mode. Provide the partitioning of your drives you want to use.
Image

BlackBox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by BlackBox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 am

I will create new topic in LMDE 2 Forums -> Installation & Boot.
Last edited by BlackBox on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by Laurent85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 am

Your request deserves its own thread, can you please delete your previous post and copy paste your message into a new topic, thanks.
Image

nevl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by nevl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Laurent85 wrote:
nevl wrote:Hi Laurent85, thanks for your reply.
I just wanna make sure that my partitions is correct? I had 4 drives, must I create 4 boot bios (or other partitions type) on each drive witch each 4MB and grub-install on 4 drives ?
You can. Installing grub in the mbr of all drives you wiil be able to boot wathever the drive failing.
Dear Laurent85, thanks for your guidance, now I can boot mint on Raid 10 HD. and yes iam installing grub in the mbr of all drives..
thank you very very much Laurent85.
NevL

nevl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by nevl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 am

Hi Laurent85,
I got succeed booting on last configurating LM18 on RAID that you had guided. but today I got my UPS corrupt and while I turn on the LM I got black or blank screen. I used that LM for server monitoring :roll: .
how should I do, to recovery the LM. LM has 4 HD and used RAID 10, all drives already grub installed.


btw, sorry for this question.
NevL

nevl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 am

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Post by nevl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 am

nevl wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 am
Hi Laurent85,
I got succeed booting on last configurating LM18 on RAID that you had guided. but today I got my UPS corrupt and while I turn on the LM I got black or blank screen. I used that LM for server monitoring :roll: .
how should I do, to recovery the LM. LM has 4 HD and used RAID 10, all drives already grub installed.


btw, sorry for this question.
Hi Laurent85,
my LM succeed booting right now, I suspect that one HD broken. I'm trying detach off all drives one by one. while I detach drive 4, the LM want display the desktop.
and now my question is how to replace it :D .
NevL

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”