Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Arp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Postby Arp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:11 am

Hi,

Is the first post in this thread still valid for mint 18? Because I installed to a usb drive, and this is too slow for my taste, but I only have a raid 5 in the computer, so the only option would be to install to the raid (how can the raid be assembled before the system is booted?) or to somehow have just enough on the usb stick to assemble the array from there and continue booting from the raid.

bennabiy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Linux Mint 17 to mdadm RAID array

Postby bennabiy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am

I have not personally set up Linux Mint 18 in this fashion, but I would assume it will still work with some minor adjusting.

I also would like to add the following for clarity (I will edit the original post as well). Someone PMed me with a request for more info on what a certain set of commands do, so I would like to add my response to help others... Originally this was a post to help me remember the steps for the future and assumes certain understanding of the commands to know what to copy / paste and what is generic information.

Response below:

Here is a breakdown of the commands:
The following line:

Code: Select all

root@mint:~ # mount /dev/md127p1 /mnt; mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi

mounts your root raid partition to /mnt (this could be any empty, but existing folder) and then mounts the EFI boot partition within the correct folder inside the root partition.
/dev/sda2 would change to whatever partition you set for your EFI boot partiton

The following:

root@mint:~ # for i in /dev /dev/pts /sys /proc; do mount --bind $i /mnt$i; done

bind mounts (basically a way to have a folder in two places at once) certain directories into your new root partition. These folders are essential for being able to install software and such in a later step.

The following:

root@mint:~ # echo "nameserver 4.2.2.4" > /mnt/etc/resolv.conf

writes a nameserver for dns resolution within the new root, allowing for software install (this will be overwritten upon your actual running of the system and is temporary)

The following:

root@mint:~ # chroot /mnt

switches to your new environment you just set up and will be just like you were booted to it. This allows you to install software, edit configs etc as if you were booted to the system in console mode.

man pages are a great resource for finding out about commands as well, if what I have said does not make sense...

e.g.

$ man chroot
$ man mount

Let me know if you need more clarity.

Return to “Installation & Boot”