Linux won't start automatically

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beginner@linux

Linux won't start automatically

Post by beginner@linux »

Hi, if I start up the pc my screen is black with just the cursor blinking. If I go into the bootmenu after restarting the pc, and manually boot from the hard disk, he'll start up normally. Any ideas about what this could be? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux won't start automatically

Post by karlchen »

Hello, beginner@linux.

This reads as if the bootmenu which you have to invoke and where you select to boot from harddisk is your BIOS menu.
If this is the case you may have misconfigured your BIOS by pointing it to a non-bootable device as the default for booting.
If this is the case enter your BIOS and select your internal harddisk as the primary boot device. Save. Exit. Reboot.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
beginner@linux

Re: Linux won't start automatically

Post by beginner@linux »

Hi Karl,
well that's the strange thing. I haven't changed this recently. The configuration is like you said. The first in row is the hard disk.

Return to “Installation & Boot”