Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ANDer
Level 1
Level 1

acpi pcc probe failed

Post by ANDer »

I'm trying to start linux mint 17.3 from live dvd, but without success. I receive the message "acpi pcc probe failed".
In this pc it's running ubuntu 14.04 (kernel 3.19.0-39)without any problems, motherboard asus P8P67, graphic cards ATI 6850.
How to solve it? Thanks.
Electroplop
Level 1
Level 1

Re: acpi pcc probe failed

Post by Electroplop »

Same issue here on an asus P8H67 and asus gforce 550 vid card.

One hard drive partitioned as :

Windows 7 'c' ntfs
data 'd' ntfs
250gb free space

Boot to mint 17.3 live usb and I get acpi pcc probe failed but it will continue to load the live enviroment. Then when i try to install mint into the free space the install fails ( hangs dead ) so far I have tried this three times and each time the install hangs, first time was formatting the free space, hard reboot after half an hour wait, second time it hung while fetching files and third time I tried a different usb stick and different usb port on the target pc and booted to mint compatability mode, it again showed acpi pcc probe failed but loaded to the live enviroment but an attempt at install failed ( hung ) at copying files.

Despite these fails I dont get as far as loading the bootloader or grub so can boot into windows.

I am not too keen on trying a different distro as mint is my choice, unless its suggested for debugging.

---

--
Last edited by Electroplop on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

I'm pretty sure it's a harmless error, have seen it in my past Linux installations.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/584248/b ... obe-failed
● Windows 10 Pro 64
VMware Workstation 12 ○ Mint 18 ○ Elementary OS 0.3
● Ubuntu Server 14.04.03 Headless
Virtualbox 5.0.26 ○ Windows 7 64
● Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64
ANDer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ANDer »

It's not so harmless: I'm not able to boot successfully from the Linux Mint DVD.
Electroplop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Electroplop »

I did post an update to my prev post regarding this but it failed to show here.

The short of it, I have installed mint 17.2 almost problem free, I did get booted to the tty screen but I was able to recover and load the recomended nvidia driver, I then had another lock up before rebooting, so far mint 17.2 seems to work.

As for mint 17.3, it definately will install NOT on my asus P8H67. I have tried another four times now, totaling sevent times using different usb drives, two dvd's and tried different usb ports in both eufi and legacy, its a no go, it will load to the live enviroment but fails at different points during install.

--

--
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Several things have changed in LM 17.3, which may cause the problem: kernel, xorg and mesa.

This may lead to the impossibility to boot the LM 17.3 live system, see Known Issues.

Workaround is to boot and install a previous version of the LM 17 branch and upgrade it, when the upgrade option is ready for release. So for now you have to wait for it. Don't use another method for upgrading (provided on web-sites I do intentionally not link), they will lead to the same result at the end.
Electroplop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Electroplop »

Cosmo. wrote:Several things have changed in LM 17.3, which may cause the problem: kernel, xorg and mesa.

This may lead to the impossibility to boot the LM 17.3 live system, see Known Issues.

Workaround is to boot and install a previous version of the LM 17 branch and upgrade it, when the upgrade option is ready for release. So for now you have to wait for it. Don't use another method for upgrading (provided on web-sites I do intentionally not link), they will lead to the same result at the end.
Thank you for posting that, I had a read and yeah, theres a few issues, no doublt with more experiance I would work around them but for now I think your advice is good as I have 17.2 installed and running, I did that as a test to see if 17.2 would install, if it wouldnt then that could point to mobo or bios issues, happy to say it went in, however my install isnt perfect, its dual with w7 and after hours of setting up I have been nobbled with the w7 update bugs so will need to reinstall it, or to be more precise, wipe the lot and start over. Its no problem as its a spare pc and the dual boot setup is worth learning, I have set up intel based laptops a few times but this pc is more difficult for a newbie :-)

--
hzowiq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hzowiq »

Hi just to inform you, my Linuxmint 17.3 MATE installed successfully. So far so good, no problem, not even single crash as far as i remember. The interesting thing is, when the computer booting, the message "acpi pcc probe failed" still appear. So probably this message is really harmless and what make your installation fail is from another problem.
chuckwoodchip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuckwoodchip »

I could not get past the logo after receiving the same message. I took out the radeon hd 4350 video card and used the inline video on the ASUS motherboard. 17.3 then booted just fine.
Microsoft Free since 2007
Stephen Stadler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stephen Stadler »

Hi All - I am on Mint 17.3

Same issue here as well.

GTX 970
P8P67 Motherboard

I had to go back to kernel 3.16 as kernel 3.19 had the "acpi pcc probe failed" message at boot up. For me 3.16 seems more stable.
LUSTRUM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LUSTRUM »

Hi! :)
I have the same situation. At the start of the system ((before logo) - the same message: "ACPI PCC probe failed".
LM 17.3 is loaded successfully and works fine.
I ignore the message "ACPI PCC probe failed". But constantly seeing it unpleasant.

Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 460
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R
Mintdows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintdows »

got also the
ACPI PCC probe failed
i switched back to Mint 17.2
neonflx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neonflx »

I am not able to install 17.3 at all, install always freezes before it finishes, I also see the ACPI probe failed, it also happens with ubuntu 15.10 the only difference is that i can install the later but not 17.3
my motherboard is based on the z170 chipset with skylake cpu

I've tried usb and dvd install methods both failed/freezes in the middle of the installation.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

When you are in the live system, open synaptic and remove this package: ubiquity-slideshow-mint. Then try again to install.
Stephen Stadler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stephen Stadler »

Hi Cosmo

FYI

I removed the package ubiquity-slideshow-mint and I reinstalled kernel 3.19.0-32. I then rebooted and the acpi pcc probe failed message popped up again! :cry: I then installed kernel 4.2.0-19 and my PC booted without the no acpi pcc probe failed message! :D :D :D

Notes:

You may not have to remove the ubiiquity package? Or you may have to...
Kernel 4.2 seems to be very stable.
The ubiquity package is removed on my system
Nvidia drivers 352.63

Thank you Mint community!
Last edited by Stephen Stadler on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
neonflx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neonflx »

so by removing the ubiquity package I was able to install LM 17.3, had a few issues but after installing the right kernel and nvidia driver combination I have no more freezes thus far.

this is on z170 chipset mobo with skylake cpu and m2 ssd, seems to be working fine right now

i am using kernel 4.2.0-21 and nvidia 358
Mintdows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintdows »

i have intel h97 chipset
Nubee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nubee »

Hi, Linux newbie here. I noticed I had this problem after updating my Nvidia driver and solved it by reverting to the open source video drivers rather than the recommended ones. Hope this helps!?
MrRuupee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrRuupee »

Hello I have had this problem sense I installed a new Nvidid Geforce GT 610. But slightly different situation. I found the problem first with Centos7. I seen a quick reference to nividia at failure prompt. This might be a Xorg problem but the only time it happens is when I use a Hot Swap IDE drive. I thought it might be a Centos7 problem so I decided to try Mint which I have wanted to try anyway. Mint installed with no problem but same thing happened when reboot.I run 3 hard drives have always put one os on one drive. Recently put Ubuntu on win drive dule partition. I have no problem with my sata drives related to this problem. Seams strange to me to me. I have been using liniux exclusively for about 6 yrs now I'm not sure why I keep win xp around especially now it has expired! I found that i do have some bad sectors on that drive but don't think that really matters unless one of them is a boot sector. I'm not sure that I need help, not really concerned, just thought I would put this out there to show it is not just a Mint problem. Probably not much help to anyone!
Paul_1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul_1970 »

Provided you can boot and install 17.3 you can always re-load the 3.16.0-38 kernel (from 17.2) within Update Manager>View>Linux kernels

Return to “Installation & Boot”