Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BlckPttrn
Level 1
Level 1

Help for Lenovo ThinkPad T400 + Linux Mint

Post by BlckPttrn »

Hi all,

I have some questions to ask you, I'm new about this forum and Linux in general.
I just bought a reconditioned Lenovo ThinkPad T400 that I increased with a dual DD
thanks to the SATA Ultrabay adaptater and placed 8Go (2x4Go) of RAM.

First, I want to quit Windows OS but I would like to know if there are some modification
to do in the BIOS before install LinuxMint.
Then, I would like to know if the ThinkPad T400 tolerates and works well under LinuxMint
and if there are some configuration to do after the single boot.
I read some stuff about the trackpoint and the graphic driver...but i'm not sure about that.

I hope to find solutions with your comments.
Have a nice evening.
BlckPttrn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help for Lenovo ThinkPad T400 + Linux Mint

Post by BlckPttrn »

Thanks a lot !!
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Post by turboscrew »

I've been running Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon for years on T400 (4GB RAM) without problems. I'm actually writing this on the very machine.
It still feels faster than Windows 10 on newer laptops (like my work machine - some Dell) and much more stable.
(I often refer to Mint as "Ubuntu stable", even if Mint doesn't use that terrible Unity.)
Mint is a very good "general purpose" distro. It has the usual proprietary stuff, like codecs, and is quite up-to-date.
My other favorite is Debian - small and stable, wide but but oldish SW collection and no proprietary stuff. Not very suitable for entertainment or social media.

I've been thinking of upgrading to 18 series or even 19. I've heard that 18.3 runs fine, but I don't know about 19 yet.
I just need to find out the versions of some SW available for the newer Mints.

What I don't remember anymore is if you have to use "forcepae"-boot parameter or not. Machine supports PAE, but at least older "StinkBads" (like my T42) didn't have the flag. For the T42 Mint was too heavy, and so was Debian. I'm running Slackware on that.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I have a T400. Right now it is running Kubuntu 18.04 on just 3 gb of ram. You should be able to run any version of Mint on it. With that much ram Mint Cinnamon 19 would be nice, you might even try LMDE 3 which was just released.

Return to “Installation & Boot”