Can't install mint after update.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install mint after update.

Post by Paul L »

After my old motherboard died I bought and fitted a replacement. It's a Biostar P4M900-M4 board that uses my old P4 chip so that replacement wasn't too hard on the pocket. Once I had changed the board and upgraded the memory to DDR2 I tried to reinstall Mint 6 on my machine. Unfortunately, the live CD will not run properly. All appears OK until the main screen is about to load then the 'sandtime' wobbles about at which point the screen freezes. Running the CD in compatability mode works ok and allows me to install - unfortunately the system freezes again before loading the main screen. Ubuntu and Fedora do the same; Mandriva works ok, Suse works ok. Mint 5 has a similar problem; the screen loads up but has a lot of shadowing that renders it unusable. Mint 4 works ok. I suspect that the problem lies with the onboard graphics - Chrome9 HC. A search on the internet suggests that others have the same problem but no solution yet.

Since Mint 4 works I suspect that the issue can be solved by loading the system using the default vesa settings. Unfortunately I don't know how to install Mint 6 to resolve this. Any help greater appreciated

I know that I can hapily use Mint 4 instead and update the files but somehow it's not as good!

Many thanks for reading this far - hope you can help

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Can't install mint after update.

Post by merlwiz79 »

After it's installed to the hard drive, add xforcevesa to the boot options.
Then when you boot into mint it shouldn't freeze.
Doesn't Via had a 2d driver for linux?(no 3d acceleration)
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa ... CatID=3220
My wife has Chrome 9 HCI video card, it has the same problem booting into the live cd.
I can't install it on her laptop since she needs windows for school.
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't install mint after update.

Post by Paul L »

Tried to install again. Still no luck getting this to work. By now I am thoroughly peed off. If I had known that this motherboard was not compatible I'd never have bought it - maybe I should return it to the supplier as not suitable for use - although it works fine with the 'other OS'

I'm a great lover of Mint but unless I can get the thing to work with my system then it looks like I'm stuck with Mint 4 or Mandriva.

Paul L

Return to “Installation & Boot”