Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fred60
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Install disc doesn' t see Windows 7 is installed

Post by Fred60 »

I am trying to install Linux 17.3 Mate on a system with Windows 7 via CD. After Linux mint mate 17.2 CD loads the test version, I select the install icon. The install option I get is "erase disk before installing Linux" . Normally I would go right ahead and use that option, but not in this case. However, there is no option to install using a dual boot. Does anyone have an idea why the install program doesn't see the fact that Windows 7 is already installed on the HD?
Last edited by Fred60 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant"
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Install disc doesn' tsee Windows 7 is installed

Post by Pierre »

from the windows system, can you post a screen shot from it's Disk Management?.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ ... dows-7.htm

you may have to set, a free area in the windows system, via that tool,
by either deleting a partition, or re-sizing a partition.

then, from the LinuxMint installer, use the "something else" option.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Fred60
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Install disc doesn' tsee Windows 7 is installed

Post by Fred60 »

OK here is the Disc Management screen shot, sorry for the delay
Attachments
DiscMgmt.jpg
"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant"
Fred60
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Install disc doesn't see Windows 7 is installed

Post by Fred60 »

OK, no ideas?
lmintnewb2

Re: Install disc doesn' t see Windows 7 is installed

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Ohhhhhh, I got an idea ! Reread and apply Pierre's post. You have no free space on that hdd. As Pierre said, make some, using the win7 disk utils, beforehand I would personally advise someone to defrag and chkdsk the window$ partition.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

As Pierre said, you will have to use the Windows Disk Management to reduce the size of "C Drive" to create unused space on the hard drive where Mint can be installed.
Follow this tutorial
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fred60
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fred60 »

Thanks Pierre and Austin, It's always nice to have people who gives useful replies :)
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

so the HDD appears to be about 160Gb - maybe.

use the windows disk management to shrink the C: drive back, to the left,
by maybe 30 - 50 Gb. - apply - check that all is ok. & that is now some vacant space on the RHS of the screen.

then follow that Tutorial. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Fred60
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fred60 »

OK, I'm sure it is because of my inexperience with Linux, but I could not get a dual boot on Windows 7 no matter what I did. Dual boot was easy when installing on an XP machine. Something is definitely different about a Win 7 disk. No matter though, I finally used the following method:

1. Load Win 7 on one hard disc
2. Load Linux on another hard disc
3. Install the Linux disc as the Primary Hard Disc
4. Install the Win 7 disc as the Secondary Hard Disc

Since I normally run Linux, installing it as the Primary HD requires me to do nothing. If I want to load from the Windows HD to play games, I simply go to the BIOS screen and change the boot sequence to load from the secondary HD. When finished with games, I change the boot sequence back to my Primary HD.

I know it is clunky, but it works. :D

Now that I can do everything I want, I'll look into getting the games running under something like Wine. Then I think I can finally get rid of Microsoft, I can relearn how to edit pictures using a Linux application which was the only other thing I have been using Windows for.

:)

UPDATE:

While working on another thing that annoyed me, I came up with a better solution, "for me that is". http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1118483 . It was suggested that I install "Grub Customizer" so I could get more control of the boot process. Grub Customizer adds a setting that causes it to look for other Operating systems. So now it displays options when powering up or restarting that let me select which disk I want to load from. Works for me! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”