[SOLVED] Black EVERYTHING (even BIOS)After Computer Went To

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:55 pm

I have a problem with a blank screen. Here's the specs:

HP P7-1254
MOBO: AAHD-2HY
A6-3620 Processor with integrated Radeon HD6530D
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM
Windows Home Pro 7 SP1 dual boot - Linux Mint 17 (cinnamon)

The Symptoms:

The computer will momentarily ( .5 second flash) display the BIOS splash screen then go black. After a few moments the disk indicator starts flashing indicating loading Mint (I assume, as it is the first entry on the Grub boot loader) and after a few seconds of disk activity, the monitors activity indicator flashes yellow for a few seconds then goes green. That is when the desktop and pointer flashes for about a half a second then black again. IF i leave the computer alone and wait til (again I assume) Mint goes into sleep mode (monitor indicator turns yellow,) and shake the mouse I get the desktop for about the same half a second then black again.

Here's what led up to it:

I installed Linux Mint 17 (cinnamon, Code Name: Rafael) in a dual boot situation on the HDD from a USB stick, verified that ALL systems were up-n-running...booted into Win 7 AND Mint and surfed the internet, etc. in both OSes. Went into Mint and set up Power savings options to NEVER turn off ANYTHING...I thought. I updated and upgraded the Mint system, then installed Chrome to Mint. I went to the bathroom...and when I came back the computer (booted into Mint) has went to sleep. I shook the mouse, pressed different wake up key combinations, and finally tried rebooting via holding the power button til shut down and power back on...now everything is as described above.

What I have Tried:

As the issue appears to be in the power savings, I think that maybe Mint changed something in the BIOS power savings. So I have followed these instructions to reset the BIOS to factory default:

Step 4 here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095

The entire article here, but as I had NO display, no results: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

Clear CMOS like so: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02966470

Unplugged RAM, HDD, WIFI, Front USB and card reader, DVD, etc. (Always got appropriate "Beep" response on power on.)

Tried another monitor, checked the monitor suspected on another computer, and reseated ALL internal plugs.

This has happened once before when I installed Mint on this very same machine, and I solved it then by resetting the BIOS..I think, but I can't find the instructions I used then, and I think my BIOS is a little different than the ones I have found and posted here. These articles seem to be directed more toward notebooks and laptops.

Please HELP! I understand that this appears to be a Linux Mint related issue, that is why I am posting here, in the Linux Mint forums to get input on this issue, but the BIOS information I will get from HP forums if possible...BUT if you happen to find something I have missed please post it!

I need explicit instructions (UP arrow, Left, Right, etc.) on how to work with the Mint system in this machine...I'm essentially "BLIND"...and a little prayer that it works...I really need this machine.
Last edited by VictorHatley1964 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three people can keep a secret...if two of them are dead! B. Franklin

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Re: All Black EVERYTHING (even BIOS)After Computer Went To S

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:05 pm

EDIT: After playing around with it this afternoon, I have determined that the machine is booting into the Cinnamon desktop. Just a black screen. IF I let the computer sit long enough to go into sleep mode, indicated by a yellow light on my monitor, (Takes about 10 minutes) when I hit the Esc key the desktop will flash for about a half a second.

Don't now how this has affected the BIOS, but it appears to be a power saver issue. Wonder if I should move this to another forum index...

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Not a solution but could help you a bit.
A first good thing would be to be able to access grub. If it does not appear at boot, you can normally access it by pressing the left shift (it's supposed to, but perso it does not work on my computer).

Otherwise, can you boot into a live USB ? You have to get into the BIOS to do that ( to set the boot to USB). If you cannot get into the BIOS, then I'm frankly lost.
In the following I'm going to assume you can boot into a live usb.

So if left shift failed, you should modify the GRUB configuration so that it is not hidden and has a timeout greater than 0 second. Instructions for this are in principle given in the xenopeek post of this thread. But this assumes that you are logged into the Mint system, not on a live USB, for the final

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
From the live USB, you can in principle do that also after chroot to change your root into the affected Mint system, taking the adequate parts of these instructions, originally aimed at reinstalling grub completely. Pay attention to the fact that point 3,4,5 of the Ubuntu instructions are valid only for specific filesystems/partition types, which may not apply to you ; if you did a standard install you are not concerned basically. Otherwise there are these simpler instructions.
You want to get to the point

sudo chroot /mnt
then instead of reinstalling grub, just "sudo update-grub" (assuming you have done xenopeek's modifications beforehand).

All this for what ? to get grub to appear. Because from there you can boot windows, which should be a first relief, and you can boot Mint into recovery mode or single user mode, which should help you troubleshooting further on.

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Plug the hard drive off from the computer and boot the computer. If the computer is alive, plug the hard drive on.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Okay UPDATE:

Even though I can't see the Grub boot loader, it is loading the Mint 17 to the desktop. The monitor led indicator will show green, (active,) for about 10 minutes then goes yellow, (inactive.)

When the display indicates the computer has gone into sleep (I assume) if I shake the mouse, hit Esc, Enter, etc. the monitor led goes green, then the desktop will pop up for about a half a second then goes black again. I have to wait til the computer sleeps again to get it to do it again.

I am presently operating on my wife's laptop, and do still have the USB stick with the Live Install I used, so if I could get instructions on how to do what Fabien suggested via ethernet...updating the GRUB may do the trick. IF I can get access to it.
Plug the hard drive off from the computer and boot the computer. If the computer is alive, plug the hard drive on.
Tried that, got absolutely nothing. I think the POST keeps even the video from starting if the HDD isn't present. Also unplugged all peripherals, even the memory sticks (2x4 GB) and the BIOS gave me appropriate beep errors for each...except the HDD, where absolutely NOTHING happened.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:36 pm

But can you access the BIOS interface ?
From what you say, the BIOS is alive (and indeed there would be no reason for it to have been corrupted). So you should be able to access it. You have even reseted it to default (btw did the computer indeed rebooted when you finished step 4 of http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095 ?) so it doesnt have any misconfiguration.
To access the BIOS, you have to press some key at boot, usually F2 (or esc or F8 or another F key) ; but you probably did that already the first time you installed Linux.
If, for a very strange and unknown reason, the hard drive prevents you from accessing the BIOS interface, try to plug in another available hard drive in place (if you have any), or maybe an external hard drive could work.
Better even if you have a hard drive with any system installed on it, to see if your computer boots it up. Admittedly not everyone has a hard drive lying somewhere just in case... :|
You already tried changing monitor (after resetting the BIOS right ? it could have been not initialized properly), so that seems ruled out.

If you can access the BIOS interface, you can boot on the live USB by finding the good option somewhere.
When booted from USB, you can follow my instructions, or at the very worst you can back up your data to an external hard drive or something then full reinstall.

The only option I see to access your computer by internet (once booted) is via ssh if you had installed it and made it start automatically at boot. But if you had done that, you would most probably have already tried.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:31 am

Also, what windows was your computer shipped with ? (i.e. did you downgrade to W7 ?)
Because http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095 is for computers with windows 8 or 10, so with a UEFI firmware. If your computer was shipped with windows 7 then it could be a UEFI firmware indeed, or it could be a Legacy one.
So I am wondering if http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095 is applicable to your computer.
If the computer indeed restarted at the end of step 4, then it means it was applicable and procedure was successful. So did it restart ?

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:46 am

Also, what windows was your computer shipped with ? (i.e. did you downgrade to W7 ?)
Because http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095 is for computers with windows 8 or 10, so with a UEFI firmware. If your computer was shipped with windows 7 then it could be a UEFI firmware indeed, or it could be a Legacy one.
So I am wondering if http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c03518095 is applicable to your computer.
If the computer indeed restarted at the end of step 4, then it means it was applicable and procedure was successful. So did it restart ?
It did restart, just did it again to make sure. Right now the computer is booted to the Cinnamon desktop with a black screen...wait til it sleeps, hit enter and get the same desktop half second flash.

Wanted to try the step 7 in the post mentioned, but cant get enough description of the setup utility to disable the UEFI power management saver. ( UP Down Left Right...for the blind.)

Fixing to try hooking up ethernet to the wife's laptop, but don't now if Mint 17 has SSH already...it's the Rafael codename. Never done this before, but gottta figure out how to access the HDD on the down laptop, THEN figure out the files I need to fix...Any suggestions there?

Still have the Live USB stick, thinking I'll boot the laptop to that, then look on the Desktop to find files...but what am I looking for?

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Mint does not have ssh installed by default (and is right to do so), so forget about it.

I'm guessing you want to turn off that Power savings feature. As you say, maybe it communicated with the BIOS and did it incorrectly, e.g. it tells the monitor to always hibernate (although until now, the only communication I knew from the OS to the firmware was setting boot order, next boot etc. But this seems possible).
I do not know how to do that by changing a file unfortunately.

Yeah the step 7 seems to be exactly what you want, though without visual feedback it seems hard to do.
And e.g. in "2. In the BIOS Setup utility, press the Right Arrow key and select the Power tab." it's not obvious if it's sufficient to press the right arrow, or if you have to do something more to "select the Power tab.".
Though without further information, I would try to just press the keys that they say in that typewriter font.
So F10 a couple of times at boot, right arrow, down arrow, enter, right arrow, F10, left arrow, down arrow, enter, enter.

If that did not work, I would reset the BIOS again, as it probably changed the BIOS to something wrong.

Another possibility is that you reset the BIOS and right after it restart, you press F10 repeatedly to try to access the BIOS interface. If that works then it's a first progress ! From the BIOS interface, you can boot an USB for the steps I told, or maybe you can even find a way to directly boot windows.
Most probably as soon as you boot the installed Mint it will turn back on power savings and you will be back to square one. So we would still need to find how to turn off power saving in Mint without booting it up.

Another check stated in one of my previous post, is that you have another hard drive with windows or linux installed. Then plug it in (as internal drive, in place of the other), reset the BIOS, and it should boot. If it does, then it's already something good ; if it doesnt I dont understand what's happening. (only possibility I see is that resetting the BIOS does not in fact reset the power savings)

One very annoying possibility to do step 7, is that you boot and press F10 repeatedly, then wait 10 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, shake the mouse or anything, and in that fraction of second try to see if you are indeed in the BIOS interface. Then you do the substeps of step 7 one by one and between each, you wait 10 minutes to have that fraction of second to try to check you are doing the right thing. Admittedly, this is very very very annoying. There are 9 keys to press so you are in for like 1h30 assuming everything goes perfectly... :(
An help for that very silly possibility is to record with a camera so you can rewatch the record ; that is very silly I admit.
Now maybe after substep 5, the monitor could stay lit, optimistically.
Also after you exit the BIOS, the computer will boot Mint, which will most probably undo all your changes... So you dont want to do that, you want either to boot to another hard drive, or restart (by forcing shutdown just after the last 'enter') and get immediately back into the BIOS. Feels like racing against your own machine.

If you want to access the hard drive externally, the only possibility I know is that you unplug it from the computer case, then you put it in a small case like this
http://recherche.fnac.com/SearchResult/ ... sft=1&sa=1
so that it effectively becomes an external hard drive that you can plug via USB to any computer.
I dont know of a possibility to access the internal hard drive by being booted to another computer. If it was a Mac it would be possible, it's called booting in target mode. But I have never heard of it for a PC.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Mint does not have ssh installed by default (and is right to do so), so forget about it.
Bull-hockey-sh*t-F^&K-fart-dam!!

I was afraid of that. Just finished downloading Putty, and was fixing to try to network in. Guess that also rules out remote desktop...one HUGE security flaw in Windows...but that's neither here nor there.
Yeah the step 7 seems to be exactly what you want, though without visual feedback it seems hard to do...One very annoying possibility to do step 7, is that you boot and press F10 repeatedly, then wait 10 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, shake the mouse or anything, and in that fraction of second try to see if you are indeed in the BIOS interface. Then you do the substeps of step 7 one by one and between each, you wait 10 minutes to have that fraction of second to try to check you are doing the right thing.
Hmmm...didn't think of that. And yeah VERY annoying, but if it works...gonna give that a shot now. It's almost more annoying to keep the cats off the keyboard.

I don't have another HDD to put in the case, and I guess (worst case scenario,) I'll get an external box to hook up to...might be cheaper to just get another HDD...

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:48 pm

An external box is relatively cheap : around 20-30 euros (one is at 15E at fnac), cheaper than a new hard drive (at least one of a decent size). And it could be useful another time. Like you get rid of a computer but you keep the hard drive to use it as external.

You could first try to do step 7 blindly, then if it fails, do it with the waiting. Most important I think is to reach substep 5.

A big hammer, and a dangerous one, if you can boot to USB or in any way can access the hard drive, would be to delete the Linux bootloader (GRUB) so that the computer would default to boot windows. And maybe booting windows several times might fix the power savings. To do that :
- locate the EFI System Partition (ESP) in the hard drive. e.g in gparted in linux it would have the flag 'boot'. It's very often the first partition sda1, and is by default invisible in the desktop.
- mount the ESP
- locate a file called grubx64.efi (it could be in EFI/ubuntu/ or EFI/grub/) (it could also be grubia32.efi if your system is 32 bits, but I'm going to assume 64 bits)
- delete it
- do NOT delete any other file ! especially not bootmgfw.efi which is the windows bootloader (it can also take the form bootx64.efi).
If there are any other files in the ESP, do not touch them (not even opening them with some programs). If you cant locate grubx64.efi, just post here the list of files on the ESP.
- unmount the ESP
- put back the drive in the computer, or shut down your USB boot, depending on how you found the way to access the drive.
- reboot. It should reboot to windows (maybe with the monitor still off).
Maybe I should not recommend this, if you mess up the ESP by touching anything else than grub, you are in trouble.
(Even deleting grub is dirty, but there is a way to reinstall it afterwards, though it's a bit technical).

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:14 pm

One very annoying possibility to do step 7, is that you boot and press F10 repeatedly, then wait 10 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, shake the mouse or anything, and in that fraction of second try to see if you are indeed in the BIOS interface. Then you do the substeps of step 7 one by one and between each, you wait 10 minutes to have that fraction of second to try to check you are doing the right thing.
Didn't work, the BIOS wouldn't let it go to sleep I guess...BUT you gavae me another idea. Here's what I did:

Let the machine boot up to the Mint desktop, (still black, but not in sleep yet,) then hit ctrl+alt+t to open a terminal.

Waited for the sleep, it came, I hit the shift key, the desktop flashed with the terminal opened. SO, I carefully typed:

sudo reboot (Hit enter)
My password (Hit enter)

And it rebooted! Meaning that I do have some measure of control. Now I need short simple commands (to reduce the number of typos possible,) to reload the desktop and disable the PM and set it to the original state...the UEFI anyways.

Gonna start researching that right now, but any pointers or input please!

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:14 pm

One very annoying possibility to do step 7, is that you boot and press F10 repeatedly, then wait 10 minutes for the computer to go to sleep, shake the mouse or anything, and in that fraction of second try to see if you are indeed in the BIOS interface. Then you do the substeps of step 7 one by one and between each, you wait 10 minutes to have that fraction of second to try to check you are doing the right thing.
Didn't work, the BIOS wouldn't let it go to sleep I guess...BUT you gavae me another idea. Here's what I did:

Let the machine boot up to the Mint desktop, (still black, but not in sleep yet,) then hit ctrl+alt+t to open a terminal.

Waited for the sleep, it came, I hit the shift key, the desktop flashed with the terminal opened. SO, I carefully typed:

sudo reboot (Hit enter)
My password (Hit enter)

And it rebooted! Meaning that I do have some measure of control. Now I need short simple commands (to reduce the number of typos possible,) to reload the desktop and disable the PM and set it to the original state...the UEFI anyways.

Gonna start researching that right now, but any pointers or input please!

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Doing step 7 blindly seems as difficult as typing terminal commands blindly.

When you are booted into the Mint Desktop, you can also do ctrl+alt+F2 (or any F key between F2 and F7 actually) which gets you to a full screen terminal without any X server. Then you have to put your login, enter, then your password, enter. I wouldnt use the numerical pad but the row above qwertyuiop for numbers.
I am telling you this because the only simple thing I found (just google) to disable power saving from command line, works for when you are logged in a terminal
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-dis ... blank.html
which tells you to do

setterm -powersave off -blank 0
Actually, this command is also given in http://askubuntu.com/questions/47311/ho ... g-to-sleep (2nd answer)
but it says that X needs to be shutdown, so again would not work from desktop.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 pm

When you are booted into the Mint Desktop, you can also do ctrl+alt+F2 (or any F key between F2 and F7 actually) which gets you to a full screen terminal without any X server. Then you have to put your login, enter, then your password, enter. I wouldnt use the numerical pad but the row above qwertyuiop for numbers.
I am telling you this because the only simple thing I found (just google) to disable power saving from command line, works for when you are logged in a terminal
Tried it, still nothing...I've tried startx, and am now thinking about reinstalling video drivers as per this : http://askubuntu.com/questions/154063/h ... ay-drivers

But there again, I'm operating blind, and still cannot get the desktop from going black...any other suggestions? Gonna do a little more research before I go that drastic, but I'll try anything at this point.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Hum I dont see a reason why reinstalling the video drivers would change anything. Furthermore, the commands from the ubuntu wiki are complex, so your chances of getting that to work blindly seem small.

How about we try to undo blindly what you did to enable the power savings ?
There seems to be less chances to screw up.
Did you made the change in the system preferences, in the panel corresponding to the screenshot attached ? (in french, will post an english screenshot tomorrow, you can google translate if needed).
(this is the panel for a laptop, so you probably do not have the 'on battery' column for a desktop computer, but I will have access to a Mint desktop computer tomorrow, so I can still provide reliable instructions)
If so, this can be reached using only the keyboard, I just checked : menu key (the one with the windows logo), then you type the beginning of the name of the panel, enter, then you are in the panel. In the panel you can navigate the different lists with tab and choose the option with up/down arrow.
So this is possible.
For this I have to know the language that your Mint system is using, how the settings are right now (either from your memory, or if you manage to take a picture in that split second awaking after the 10 minutes), and how you want them finally.
Or maybe if you have yourself access to another Mint desktop computer you can find the sequence yourself.

I have to admit that otherwise I'm running out of ideas.
Attachments
screenshot-gestion-alimentation.png

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:09 am

Bios/UEFI should not have been altered by Mint, so that is likely not the problem.

More likely that the backlight settings are not working correctly.
fabien85 wrote:When you are booted into the Mint Desktop, you can also do ctrl+alt+F2 (or any F key between F2 and F7 actually) which gets you to a full screen terminal without any X server. Then you have to put your login, enter, then your password, enter.
Have you tried this suggestion by fabien85 yet? Can you see anything that way? If yes, then do the following:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
That will open file in nano terminal editor. Look for this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
And change it to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
Hit CTRL+o (letter "O", not a zero) to write changes to the file, then CTRL+x to exit nano editor.

Then do:

sudo update-grub
And finally:

sudo reboot
Hopefully that fixes it.

If still see nothing but black screen when hit CTRL+ALT+F2, shutdown as follows (blind):
  • Type your username, hit enter
  • Type your password, hit enter
  • Type sudo shutdown -h now, hit enter
  • Type your password again, hit enter
  • Computer should then shutdown.
Boot from your Mint USB stick instead of harddrive. Like fabien85 said, there should be some function key that brings up a boot menu for you immediately after powering on. (Could also be either the <Esc> or <Del> key.) Once you boot into live Mint USB you need to edit the "/etc/default/grub" file on the hard drive with changes noted above. To do that you first need figure out which partition on the HDD is Mint's root partition, then mount it to the live environment.

In a terminal, enter either or both of these commands to figure out which partition is the root partition on drive:

sudo parted --list
sudo blkid
For sake of example, assume that it's /dev/sda3. (Change to fit your situtation.) Mount /dev/sda3 to live environment, then chroot into it:

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
Now open the file you need to edit with nano editor (no need for "sudo" because you're operating as root already):

nano /etc/default/grub
Make changes to file as per above, then save changes and exit nano (CTRL+o, CTRL+x).

Update grub:

update-grub
Exit chroot environment and unmount root partition:

exit
for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done
sudo umount /mnt
Reboot without live USB and hopefully that corrected problem.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Hum I dont see a reason why reinstalling the video drivers would change anything. Furthermore, the commands from the ubuntu wiki are complex, so your chances of getting that to work blindly seem small.
In spite of the difficulty, I did manage to get the amdcccle driver installed according to this post:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2210877

Did a reboot, and the same thing...Still a black screen that tkes 10 minutes before I get the chance to see what is going on. Using the wife'a cell phone to take the vids, an then replay then so I could see the terminal...took all of three hours...and still didn't work. But can still do the terminal, issue command, then wait for a vid.

I have tried almost everything, possible, but cannot get the ctrl+alt+F2...when I hit it the computer will no longer sleep so I can't see if the terminal commands are working...or even entered right.
Have you tried this suggestion by fabien85 yet? Can you see anything that way? If yes, then do the following:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Would have done this already, but after the BIOS screen flashes for a half second I get nothing til the mint desktop loads, then just a quick half second flash the gotta wait til the sleep starts again to get the half second flash again. So I can't edit anything. Just barely manage to run terminal commands.
If still see nothing but black screen when hit CTRL+ALT+F2, shutdown as follows (blind):
Type your username, hit enter
Type your password, hit enter
Type sudo shutdown -h now, hit enter
Type your password again, hit enter
Computer should then shutdown.
Tried that several times, to make sure I didn't typo. No good. And since it doesn't go into sleep I cant verify where in the hell I am. I ASSUME that the TTY is opening, but if I'm already logged in to the desktop will the TTY ask me for my username, or just the PWD first?

I've tried booting from the live USB. When the BIOS pops up, (then disappears,) I hit the ESC key. The From a black screen I have to guess which is the right boot device. have done this several times before installing Mint, but can't remember exactly how many times to hit the Down arrow to get the USB. Anyway, IF I have managed to get it right at some point, then the screen remains black.

I've tried using my wife's laptop booted to the USB Live to try to network into the computer, but have been getting blocked...I think I have to set up the network sharing so it will allow me full access to the entire HDD...any suggestions on that would be perfect. Then I COULD alter the documents necessary to get this right. IF there's a way to establish this from the terminal I am willing to go this route...or even enable a remote desktop. But I don't know if Mint comes with these capabilities built in...

Here we go with day 5 trying to get this POS fixed...and the wife is starting to get grouchy bout me using up her laptop and cell phone...but she is being really understanding. I have had the computer in the TTY terminl (ctrl+alt+F2) for 30 minutes now, and have tried all these suggestions.
Bios/UEFI should not have been altered by Mint, so that is likely not the problem.
Not sure about that...see, there's a power saving feature in these BIOS. Anyways, I am pretty sure I did manage to reset the BIOS to default cause I did have it with no splash screen, just the blac with white print, and now it is showing the blue HP splash...at least for the half second it shows it. BUT, I did read somewhere, (though I can't find it now) that even when the BIOS default is reset, that the power saving feature isn't reset...it stays the same.
Did you made the change in the system preferences, in the panel corresponding to the screenshot attached ? (in french, will post an english screenshot tomorrow, you can google translate if needed).
When I first logged in, (when it was working,) I did go to the power settings like that and set all settings to NEVER shut off the computer. But I have read all over the place that this is a point of contention too. Is there some way I can disable ALL the power settings, or even UNINSTALL the PM and take out all the settings from a terminal?

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Yes the fact that you cannot get any visual feedback renders many things virtually impossible.
gold_finger suggestions would be perfect if you could see the screen (at least for instructions like 'Look for this line') and if you were sure you were logged in the tty.
When you do ctrl+alt+F2, the tty asks you first for your login/username, then for your password. Even if you spawned that while logged in to the desktop.

Did you look at my suggestion from the previous post ?
Basically to go in the system preferences blindly to undo your power management changes.
I attach a screenshot of the power management panel on an english desktop (I guess changing the language would just change the text but not the ordering of stuff.).
Screenshot-power-management.png
This can be reached by pressing the menu/windows key, then typing 'power', enter. In the panel, if you do tab 3 times, you reach the first drop list, which contains for me (from top to bottom) : 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hour, never. If you do tab twice more, you reach the second drop list (corresponding to 'suspend when inactive for') which contains the same items as the first drop list. Then tab twice more reaches the third drop list which contains : Lock screen, suspend, shutdown immediately, hibernate, ask, do nothing.

If system preferences is not the place where you changed the power settings, boot Mint on another computer to reach the same place, and find if you can do the same stuff just with keyboard. Personally I wont have anymore graphical access to a Mint desktop from tomorrow on.

Second possibility : installing ssh to your machine, blindly, then you will be able to make terminal commands in it, via another computer.
For this, you need to know the IP address of the machine. Can you know it ?
With some internet providers, you have a web interface where you can see the equipments which are connected.
Also we do not want the IP to change, so after you have the first successfull ssh connection, do not shutdown the desktop until you have fixed your problem.
(because IP address are often dynamic, i.e. they change each time the computer reconnects to internet)
Here are the instructions to make your machine run ssh :
-

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
this will install ssh. Wait a bit for it to conclude the installation (2-3 mins should be enough).
- now we need to activate it. Normally you need to edit a config file. We are going to do the bare minimum so that it works. Let's say for example that the IP address of the machine is 100.101.102.103

echo ListenAddress 100.101.102.103 >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
then finally

sudo restart ssh
Ok now your desktop runs ssh optimistically, and you should be able to access it from another machine with

ssh username@100.101.102.103
it will ask for your password obviously.
Then you are in a terminal as if you were on the machine.
I am not sure if the default ssh configuration allows root login (to do sudo commands), but we can fix that later on if not.

Last possibility : extract the hard drive, put it in an external box and access it as external hard drive to make the changes. Or drop the hammer : backup your data and erase Mint (format the Mint partition, and delete grub as described in one of my previous post), then reinstall.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:15 pm

fabien85, man...thanks. I'm logged in to the machine...NICE...wife says I haven't been this happy in years. I understand about the address changing each time I shut it down, and yes, that is exactly where I changed the power settings, it's the only place I found to change the PM settings.

Presently I'm logged on from Win 7 using Putty. Not sure about how to go about changing things from Win though not the same editors, etc. and Windows is generally known to have problems with the linux file system and I don't want to risk Windows not saving something right. I'm going to boot the wife's laptop off the Live USB I used to install Mint and edit/change things from there.

Not sure what exactly will work, but going to try a couple of things starting with moving the hibernate/suspend file like this recommends.https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... mate-first

Then I'll have to reboot, and if that doesn't work, I'll get back in and try editing the GRUB files suggested, reboot, then back...

Return to “Installation & Boot”