Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: All Black EVERYTHING (even BIOS)After Computer Went To S

Post by fabien85 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Cool !!!

I am not sure how you can change your power savings from command line now, but at least you can try stuff.
You can start with gold_finger suggestion, except that if you reboot you may lose the IP address.

First off, you are ok with using putty. No problem with windows or anything. It's not like you are sending windows instructions to your machine. By ssh you are just sending text, the text of the command you want to run on the machine. This text is interpreted and executed by the remote machine. Then the text output is sent back via internet to your windows display. But windows is never executing something on the remote (in fact that would be a huge security flaw), all operations are local.
Basically it's as if you were on a terminal in Mint.

One thing you can do also now is copy a file from your local machine to the remote (or vice-versa). The command is scp and works like cp. So you are on a terminal on the local machine, you navigate with cd to the directory where you have the file you want to copy, then

Code: Select all

scp local-file username@IPaddress:remote-file
Generally it's scp origin destination. So you can also download a file from the remote to the local machine.

Now let's use this to tackle the problem of the IP address changing, in case it happens. First you have to determine the new IP.
Then you have to get back to the desktop to execute some command blindly. You can try redoing my previous instructions with the new IP :

sudo echo ListenAddress newIP >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo restart ssh
(you dont need to reinstall openssh-server this time). But I'm not sure it works. The first command is appending the line "ListenAddress newIP" at the end of the ssh config file.
So the end of the ssh config file will look like this :
ListenAddress oldIP
ListenAddress newIP
and I'm not sure ssh will like this. If it works, good for you ! If not, we can fix it but it's a bit more complicated.
Basically you want to download the ssh config file, delete the last line, and reupload that to the remote as a backup file. Then, if the IP has changed, you can go to the desktop, put the backup file as sshd_config and append the new IP address.
It's complicated because personally, I know how to append text at the end of a file, but I dont know how to replace the last line of a file by something. (yes I feel a bit stupid). Maybe a better linuxer would know.
Anyway, here are the instructions to do all I said :
- download the ssh config file and name it stuff.txt on the local machine

scp username@IPaddress:/etc/ssh/sshd_config stuff.txt
- you can open and edit stuff.txt with windows notepad or Mint gedit (or nano,emacs,vim,...)
- reupload to the remote as backup file

scp stuff.txt username@IPaddress:/etc/ssh/sshd_config.bak
note that you will now have both ssh_config and sshd_config.bak in /etc/ssh/
- if IP has changed, go to the desktop and in a terminal :

sudo cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config.bak /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo echo ListenAddress newIP >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo restart ssh
if that doesnt work, there is possibly a problem of permission and ownership of the config file, so

sudo chmod 644 /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo chown root:root /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo restart ssh
Now with ssh and scp there are many things you can do. You can download files from the remote to inspect them and edit them locally for correction then reupload them to the remote. Only thing when reuploading is that I wouldnt put them back directly, I would put them next to the original file adding a ".bak" (or .bkup, .whatever) then inspect the permissions and ownership with
"ls -l file file.bak" then correct the permissions and ownership of file.bak with chmod and chown in order to match those of file, then "mv file.bak file". I would do that because permissions and ownership will not be conserved through ssh : windows doesnt have the same permission system as linux, and even if the local machine was linux I wouldnt be sure permissions would be retained.

With that you are all set to experiment on the remote.
(btw can you sudo via ssh ? If not that can be fixed by editing sshd_config)
Stays to find how to undo the power savings from command line or editing files. Which is another story. Try gold_finger instructions, but backup sshd_config before so that if the IP changes after rebooting, you can do the manipulations I said to get back a working ssh connection.

If gold_finger instructions do not work, there is also the modification of GRUB that I told in my first answer (sudo nano /etc/default/grub , doing some modifs, then sudo update-grub) which should make GRUB appear at boot (booting Mint by default after 10s, but maybe you would see GRUB at last).
If not, I may have another (a bit radical) solution.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Well, really gone and done it now...
Have you tried this suggestion by fabien85 yet? Can you see anything that way? If yes, then do the following:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

That will open file in nano terminal editor. Look for this line:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

And change it to this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

Hit CTRL+o (letter "O", not a zero) to write changes to the file, then CTRL+x to exit nano editor.

Then do:
Code:
sudo update-grub

And finally:
Code:
sudo reboot
AND Before I rebooted I set the IP as static according to these instructions: http://www.tecmint.com/ip-command-examples/

Hit sudo, reboot, my pwd, and then Putty informed me that the remote system was shutting down...now the kicker: When the computer rebooted, I didn't even get the splash screen. Then I noticed that the monitor indicator wasn't going green...just staying yellow.

Rebooted several times, and don't even BIOS splash >5 second flash any more, just that dam yellow led. So what I did, made it worse, not better. Now I can't use the sleep video trick to find what the dam IP is now...if the computer is booting into Mint, or anything else at all. Doesn't even appear to even be letting the video do anything at all.

I'm presently in Windows, and trying like hell to figure out how to get the IP off the flippin desktop I tried the supposedly static assigned IP, the one I gave it, and the connection timed out. Any suggestions on how to get it to give up the IP?
Three people can keep a secret...if two of them are dead! B. Franklin

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Humm...

How did you find the IP of the desktop the first time ?
Depending on the internet provider, there may be a way to see which equipments are connected on your internet connection. That's used for example to allow access to the wifi to only registered devices (whitelisting them).
Did you try the previous IP ?
I dont have much knowledge in networking.
The IPs that your internet provider allows you to use are in a certain range, not arbitrary. What I have seen is that the first three numbers are static, then the last number depends on the device and is usually in the order of which device connected first. So e.g. first device connected would have 100.101.102.1 , next one 100.101.102.2 etc. (it may not be always like that, but maybe you can check the IPs of the laptop and cellphone when they are connected to wifi)

Maybe what happened is that you tried to assign an IP, but it was not possible because it's not in the range that your provider allows.

To revert the situation, would be good to make sure the desktop still boots to Mint. e.g. playing with volume up or down or trying to open a terminal and calling a shutdown.
Then what you did are the instructions below "Assign Static IP Address to eth0 interface editing configuration file /etc/network/interfaces to make permanent changes as shown below." in the link you provided, right ?
If so, I guess we want to revert back /etc/network/interfaces to the state it was before. On my desktop, the content of this file is :

$ more /etc/network/interfaces
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
(the l are all lower case L)
and its permissions+ownership are :

$ ls -l /etc/network/interfaces
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82 Jan 27  2014 /etc/network/interfaces
so on the desktop booted to Mint, open a terminal and

cd /etc/network
sudo rm interfaces
sudo touch interfaces
sudo echo auto lo >> interfaces
sudo echo iface lo inet loopback >> interfaces
sudo chmod 644 interfaces
sudo chown root:root interfaces
then we restart the network following the instructions of your link

/etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
and we have undone the static stuff. I would reboot after that.

Then we have to find the IP of the desktop, this should be possible externally somehow. It's also possible that it did not change if there was no change in the devices which were connected to internet, i.e. if they all maintained their connection.

If you are able to find the IP, and its different from the original one. We are going to uninstall ssh completely, then reinstall it and follow the steps of my previous email

sudo apt-get --purge remove openssh-server
maybe reboot, just in case. Then redo my instructions for installing ssh

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
echo ListenAddress IP >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo restart ssh
then undo gold_finger instructions via ssh, and try mine which are just supposed to make GRUB appear at boot. If GRUB appears, you can select windows, and maybe booting windows will fix stuff. If the screen remains black, after 10s GRUB will still boot Mint by default.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:51 am

@VictorHatley1964
I am going to be offline for a few days. Transatlantic flight then christmas with my family. I will come back online on the 26th or 27th.
I hope you can make ssh work again.
If so, before trying any changes, note the output of the 3 following commands (all with lower case L, no number 1)

sudo parted -l
sudo ls -R /boot
sudo efibootmgr -v
as this could be useful to an idea I have if all else fails.

Also, I would do experiments just one by one.
For example, in your previous trial you did 2 things at the same time : make the IP static and gold_finger instructions. If you had done one by one it would have been easier to undo each thing afterwards.

Unless you are confident, dont experiment too much if the suggestions fail, without getting feedback from the forum or linux techies.
If someone else on the forum gives you advice, make sure they read all the thread beforehand.

Here is a brief summary of how I understand the original problem :
changing the settings of the power management in Mint has screwed up power savings in the firmware. Either because of miscommunication of Mint to the firmware or a faulty firmware. Now the screen remains black, unless Mint is booted to graphical interface, in which case the screen can be briefly flashed when awaking after a sleep period. This (flash at waking up) does not work when in the firmware interface (/BIOS), nor when in a Mint terminal (e.g. with ctrl+alt+F2). Mint still boots and executes terminal instructions correctly. Reseting the firmware did not help.
At some point we had a successful ssh connection to the Desktop.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Transatlantic flight then christmas with my family.
Well, I'm sure the flight will probably suck...I always hated it from Frankfurt to NY...my Army days..but have a real nie time with your family.

After much, much, much, research, and then verifying that terminal was working using the shut down, I used your instructions to remove and reinstall the Open ssh server (blind again)...I tried to undo the network/interfaces thing, but AFTER I WAS LOGGED BACK IN! I discovered that while I managed to remove the file, I failed to recreate it, but the system detected it and put an empty file in it's place. I left it empty, the ssh is working right now and I don't want to lose what I have.

Anyways, (this is also serving as log of sorts for me...) After I got ssh installed and sent the restart command, I went to the laptop, (Win 7 w/Putty) started NMap, (wonderful program, BTW, Wireshark would have done it, but I didn't need that much info.) and NMap gave me a graphical of the network from my laptop and there it was...the IP.

After working all night on it, with even wireshark not getting anything I figured that somewhere I had messed up the config of Openssh...so a reinstall fixed it.

Fabien85, I would like to thank you in a big way, but I'm so broke that the only thing I can afford is good Karma...and sending LOTS your way. Also a big thanks to Goldfinger, the fixes you have suggested while good on some systems, made things worse. I'm now back in, set the openssh config file to listen for me, (the "echo" fabien5 suggested didn't work because the ListenAddress line was commented.

After getting in, I opened the ssh config file and uncommented the ListenAddress...I THINK that should work. Before I reboot the machine I am going to make the Openssh-server start with the system. Don't know if it's automatic or not...

First, undo the GoldFinger grub commands...then on to autostart openssh

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 pm

BTW: MERRY CHRISTMAS-HAPPY HANUKKAH-MERRY YULE!

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Merry christmas to you to !

Family is sleeping, so as the geek I am, I couldnt resist to look on the forum...

Sorry I forgot to say that indeed ssh does not start at boot by default. This may be the reason for some of your problems to get it back to work.
I made the change on my computer to have it start automatically at boot and completely forgot then. Sorry about that.
To auto-start ssh at boot it's as simple as editing /etc/rc.local and adding the line

sudo restart ssh
in the file before the exit statement. So that on my computer this file reads :

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

sudo restart ssh

exit 0
(maybe sudo start ssh instead of restart would suffice, but as long as it works...)

From ssh you can edit a file with nano, emacs or vi.

Also note the output of the 3 commands I stated in my previous post, with a correction to the second one :

sudo parted -l
sudo ls -R /boot/efi
sudo efibootmgr -v
(I dont want to see the entire content of /boot, just the efi part)
I would like to see if it's easy to set a bootnext to windows. In order to boot once to windows, see if that clears anything, and if not we can reboot to Mint.

After all this is over, you may find interesting to learn more about ssh. Like setting up a RSA key so that you dont have to type your password from a registered computer, ports, you can use ssh for version control or system backup or many other things.
In fact I just ssh'd to my desktop to check the /etc/rc.local thing.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Ok...Fabien85, man really...I'm humbled by your helpfulness. Again Thanks.

Screwed up pretty good, but got things back. Tried to get a remote desktop hooked up using xrdp and vino...something went bad somewhere though and had to do the blind thing to uninstall everything, get the openssh reinstalled...man, if this doesn't do anything for me, it WILL make me a more accurate typist. Did get it all done though.

Just opened the re.local file, (using nano for now, unless you know anything that works better,) it was completely empty, soo I just copy-pasted your code into it. But for some reason, on my machine, have to get ssh rolling by:

sudo service ssh restart

BUT whatever works is GOOD...

Here's the requested output from those commands, it appears that I have NO efi file anywhere in there...
sudo parted -l
Model: ATA Hitachi HDS72101 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
2 106MB 263GB 263GB primary ntfs (Win 7)
3 263GB 789GB 527GB extended lba
5 263GB 739GB 477GB logical ntfs
6 739GB 759GB 20.0GB logical ext4 (Mint 17 Rafael)
7 759GB 789GB 30.0GB logical ext4 (home Dir for Mint)
4 982GB 1000GB 18.0GB primary ntfs (Recovery)

Results of --sudo ls -R /boot/efi

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ sudo ls -R /boot/efi

ls: cannot access /boot/efi: No such file or directory

So I:

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ cd /boot

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 /boot $ dir

abi-3.16.0-38-generic memtest86+.elf
config-3.16.0-38-generic memtest86+_multiboot.bin
grub System.map-3.16.0-38-generic
initrd.img-3.16.0-38-generic vmlinuz-3.16.0-38-generic
memtest86+.bin

Results Of: sudo efibootmgr -v
sudo: efibootmgr: command not found
Also found page with a bunch of very interesting commands, the one I liked in particular was dmidecode. It gave me this:
Results from dmidecode

SMBIOS 2.7 present.
42 structures occupying 1623 bytes.
Table at 0x000EB240.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: AMI
Version: 7.06
Release Date: 08/16/2011
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 2048 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
PNP is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
EDD is supported
Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
Serial services are supported (int 14h)
Printer services are supported (int 17h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Function key-initiated network boot is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 7.6

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: p7-1254
Version:
Serial Number: MXX1510G1J
UUID: F1C04620-0A04-11E1-AABF-386077BF79F1
Wake-up Type: Power Switch
SKU Number: QW699AA#ABA
Family: 103C_53316J G=D
It gave me a LOT more than that, mostly system Handles like shown above.

Well I've made all the changes necessary, I think, to get the ssh starting automatically. So I'm gonna reboot it. I haven't tried to set the ListenAddress yet, last time I did I lost ssh and had to reinstall. I've been using a Windows program called ZenMap to get the IP off the ethernet, hasn't failed yet if the ssh was running...GREAT little sniffer. Was gonna load Backtrack to the wife's desktop, and she said, "If Linux F&%ked your machine up, what makes you think it's a good idea to put it on mine."

I didn't have a good answer to that, but didn't tell her I'd already used the USB Live Mint in hers... :mrgreen: So as I submit this post I'm crossing my fingers and hitting the enter in Putty...

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Okay, I thought about Flashing the BIOS to get back what I've lost...thught long and hard because I've heard LOT of horror stories about the Flashing going wrong. So Decided to look a little closer at the Video...

Ran a few commands, here they are, and the output:

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~/flashrom $ lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6530D] [1002:964a] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:2acf]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45
Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
I/O ports at f000
Memory at feb00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port [1022:1707] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
--
Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=64

00:14.5 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH USB OHCI Controller [1022:7809] (rev 11) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:2acf]
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
Memory at feb4b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci

00:14.7 SD Host controller [0805]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SD Flash Controller [1022:7806] (prog-if 01)
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SD Flash Controller [1022:7806]
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 71, IRQ 16
Memory at feb4a000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~/ $ sudo lshw -numeric -C display
[sudo] password for victor:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6530D] [1002:964A]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] [1002]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
resources: irq:45 memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:feb00000-feb3ffff

victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
Error: unable to open display

So I tried startx, and the thing locked up...at least I waited about an hour before hard resetting the machine.

Thanks @fabien85, Open ssh starts automatically, and I can get the IP by scanning. A little bit of a pain, but...

Gonna investigate now how to change the boot order in GRUB to make the Windows partition show up as the second option in the menu. I should be able to select it...even blind. Also put in a 10 second pause during the Grub menu display. IF that works, we'll see if I get the display back.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Well, that didn't take too long.
While getting instructions to alter the Grub boot menu, I needed the version...most likely 2, but one never knows, so:
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ grub --version
The program 'grub' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install grub
Then:
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ cat grub.conf
cat: grub.conf: No such file or directory
So, looking for evidence of Grub:
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 2> /dev/null | grep -q GRUB && echo "GRUB found"
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ sudo efibootmgr
[sudo] password for victor:
sudo: efibootmgr: command not found
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ df -h --local | grep /boot
victor@seymourebuttes-p7-1254 ~ $ grub-install -v
grub-install.real: info: executing modprobe efivars 2>/dev/null.
grub-install.real: info: Looking for /sys/firmware/efi ...
grub-install.real: info: ... not found. Looking for /proc/device-tree ...
grub-install.real: info: ... not found.
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install.real: error: install device is not specified.
Can't startx..now no Grub boot loader?? Is that what this means?

If so a simple reinstall of Grub should fix it...that and a scandisk fixing the bad sectors...

I'm gonna get off here for the night...starting to go blind from looking at all the small print...

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi,
I have to say this may go beyond my competences, I didn't understand all you did in your previous posts.

From the output of the three commands I said, you have a Legacy mode installation, you are not using EFI/UEFI. That's why efibootmgr does not work.
I was asking you these outputs to try to set a bootnext to windows, something UEFI can do. So this is not possible, and I dont think Legacy boot can do it, too bad.
GRUB should be installed in the MBR of the hard drive. GRUB is the default bootloader installed by Mint, so that's what's installed unless you explicitely installed something else, in which case you would know.

I dont have experience with Legacy+MBR install unfortunately. I have EFI+GPT. I have grub installed (efi version), but when I do 'grub --version' I get the same output as you, idem for 'cat grub.conf' and 'df -h --local | grep /boot'. (I'm not sure what 'dd etc' does, so didnt try it)

To look for grub, I would try simply

locate grub.cfg
and

dpkg -l | grep grub
(lowercase L)
which both say something for me.

The GRUB you have installed is most likely GRUB 2 (or 1.98,1.99, something like that), that's what comes with Mint 17.
I'm pretty sure GRUB is installed, I mean what else would boot Mint otherwise ? And you did edit /etc/default/grub which made a change (not in the good way unfortunately, but it did something), btw did you undo that change ?
And it's very improbable that it is GRUB legacy (aka GRUB 1), which is discontinued.

I would try to flash the BIOS only as a really last resort. I mean if anything goes wrong you dont have any display to see what's going on, and you dont have ssh either because you dont boot. (btw ssh works only when you are booted to Mint). I'm not sure if/how you can flash the BIOS through ssh or blindly.
I'm incompetent to decipher the lspci, lshw and dmidecode outputs. Sorry it's beyond my experience.

I would say keep on grub as stated previously : tweak /etc/default/grub as in this thread, to make it display and have non-zero timeout.
Maybe it will display at boot. If not, put a big timeout like 30s, like that you can wait 10-20s at boot, be sure that you are in GRUB and not yet booted to Mint. Then in GRUB, the first option (selected by default) should be Linux Mint, second option should be Mint recovery mode ; third option may be memtest86 or windows, I'm not sure. I think memtest is not displayed by default, but if it is, windows is below it.

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Post by floweringmind » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I have the same issue, I gave up and threw DVD in the trash, maybe next version will work.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:59 am

@floweringmind
If this problem of power savings happened when you boot the live DVD, it's indeed fortunate that you did not install to the computer.
I guess it's a problem of miscommunication between linux and the UEFI firmware, fault could be on either side. Sometimes a different kernel and xorg version can change this. If you want to keep on trying Linux, you could try other versions of Mint (in particular earlier in the 17.x serie) or Ubuntu (in particular LTS versions). I would say to use live USB, this way you can rewrite, so try different distros without buying a new DVD each time.
If this problem happened when you booted on the DVD, did it just undo itself when you booted back to your previous OS ?

For VictorHatley1964, Mint is already installed and running so we dont have yet the option to take it away.

VictorHatley1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VictorHatley1964 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Solved it...had to install the AMD APU drivers. Not sure why the out-of-the-box drivers did this, but once I installed the driver I got everything back...Even though I had to do it via ssh..

One word of advice to folks checking out this post:

CHECK your hardware carefully. If it appears to be present, with out-of-the-box drivers, then install an Up-to-date proprietary driver. After the next reboot everything was back to normal. IF the graphics is on board, the proprietary drivers will set up the power saving and UEFI stuff the correct way.

Another word of advice: Allow ssh and remote desktop to run in every OS you have. Especially if you're installing or changing things. I had my Windows 7 install with the RDP off...bad mistake because I couldn't ssh or RDP into it. Then I had to install OpenSSH without a monitor. VERY difficult, but not impossible. I'm gonna mark this one as SOLVED.

THANKS A LOT TO fabien85...Dude I can't say enough...

floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Black EVERYTHING (even BIOS)After Computer Went

Post by floweringmind » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm

I installed 17.2 and upgraded to 17.3 via this guide. I also had the Nvidia drivers installed on 17.2 before I did the upgrade.

https://mintguide.org/system/529-early- ... -17-3.html

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [SOLVED] Black EVERYTHING (even BIOS)After Computer Went

Post by fabien85 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm

@VictorHatley1964
Congratulations !!!
This is the most painful troubleshooting I have yet seen.
So much for a power savings setting...
It probably ruined part of your christmas, but at least it's repaired before new year. Consolation is that you learned many things in the way.
I wouldnt have thought about the video driver. I didnt know it could communicate to the BIOS (if that's what happened)...
Well done finding this solution and congrats again !

@floweringmind
yeah probably the 17.3 kernel or xorg is not compatible with your hardware. There are reports like this on the forum.
In fact the upgrade from 17.2 to 17.3 is at the moment much easier than in your guide : in the update manager there is an option for this in the menu Edit->Upgrade to Mint 17.3 Rosa. (this path was not yet open at the time your guide was written, it was opened mid-december)
Following VictorHatley1964's experience, check for a proprietary driver to your video card as this would be more robust.

Return to “Installation & Boot”