Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Unusual Login problem 17.3 cinnamon

Post by waynus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:36 am

I have an install of 17.2 Mint and liked it a lot. Today I attempted to "duel" boot it with win8.1 with the intention of removing windows altogether. The boot disc is the second hard drive in the machine for both os. (Don't ask)

Grub installs fine and boots into Mint. (NOt windows at first but a little magic from boot rescue and its all good)

Get to the graphical login screen of mint and it will not accept (validate) user name and password. Returning an error or just returning to the login screen.

Tried changing password using the tutorial
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1355 Worked well.

Tried using a number of passwords even single digit passwords

Tried multiple reinstalls and setting password to login automatically.

In the end nothing allows me to log in. Any ideas??????

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unusual Login problem 17.3 cinnamon

Post by cwsnyder » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:57 am

Did you follow one of the tutorials on dual-booting with Windows 8.1, such as http://www.howtogeek.com/99060/how-to-d ... e-same-pc/, especially, did you install Linux Mint/GRUB in EFI mode, not BIOS mode? If not, that is probably what happened. Re-enabling Windows boot would have completely wiped the GRUB boot to Mint boot path.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:33 am

Highly unlikely that the login problem is related to UEFI versus BIOS. I would even say impossible.

Simply changing the password like this should probably do the job:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5

If that doesn't work: what kind of keyboard are you using? And what's the layout?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks to @Pjotr for the correction.

Did you check your login username? Any misspelling of that at the login will result in the same problem.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the ideas:

Grub still boots to Mint which still won't accept the password.
cwsnyder that is how I installed Mint.

Pjotr those are the instructions I have used to successfully change the password, I have even tried using "x" as a password to make it very simple. I have reinstalled a couple of times so I am certain user name is also correct. The Keyboard is a vanilla logitech 250 wired keyboard.

The reason I asked here is I have tinkered with Linux for many years and have never heard of anything like this before. It has got to be (in my opinion) machine specific.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:13 pm

What's the layout that you've selected?

Have you tried another keyboard?

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:13 pm

standard us, will try different keyboard.

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Different keyboard makes no difference (does work on another machine with mint 17.2). I would have thought auto login would have bypassed keyboard problems anyway.

I would have thought a hardware problem would have caused a problem with bootup or starting the graphic server, so I cannot help but think a login problem is minor.

Any other ideas?

doorstop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doorstop » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Yup,
I've had this problem on two different systems. Tonight was the second time it happened . One machine is an Asrock990FX. The second is an Asrock880G. The symptom tonight was that I tried to add an applet but a message came up that it couldn't find a file. So I logged out and when I tried to log back in it took the password (I didn't get an bad password error) It looked like it was going to the desktop but came back to the login screen. The second system was installed 2 days ago and has been up to date.
I didn't fix the first computer but just reloaded it. Both systems are multi linux and windows (and hackintosh).

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:04 am

I have tried rebboting and re installing and it just won't get past that screen. I share your pain :)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:49 am

You might try editing /etc/mdm/mdm.conf, from the live session of the DVD. The relevant part is the first header, called [daemon]. For automatic logon it should be (for user account "waynus"):

Code: Select all

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=waynus
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=waynus
TimedLoginDelay=10
Replace "waynus" by your proper account name. Note that there are two instances, one for automatic and one for timed. And also note that your username doesn't contain capital letters "under the hood".

Lisa_P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lisa_P » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:01 am

This sounds a little like the problem with the Live CD/DVD/USB on some nVidia systems.

Can you login on the terminal at all?

When booting from a Live Media version, do you get the graphical login prompt with at the top right "Linux Mint user will automatically login in 10 seconds" (Or something that resembles it?) And no matter what you do, you can't login on that either?
If so, then try booting in compatibility mode and see if that helps. If that works, you're on the track of the source of this problem.

On my desktop where I had this after installation, I switched to the terminal screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and installed the nVidia drivers through aptitude (in my case it was an nVidia problem) and after that rebooted and was able to get into my desktop.

doorstop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doorstop » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:50 pm

The Fix
At the login screen, press ctrl+alt f1 to get to a terninal. Login, then do: sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon .

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Pjotr wrote:This sounds a little like the problem with the Live CD/DVD/USB on some nVidia systems.

Can you login on the terminal at all?

When booting from a Live Media version, do you get the graphical login prompt with at the top right "Linux Mint user will automatically login in 10 seconds" (Or something that resembles it?) And no matter what you do, you can't login on that either?
If so, then try booting in compatibility mode and see if that helps. If that works, you're on the track of the source of this problem.

On my desktop where I had this after installation, I switched to the terminal screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and installed the nVidia drivers through aptitude (in my case it was an nVidia problem) and after that rebooted and was able to get into my desktop.
This is exactly what happens with the live version.

I will try the fix you have suggested. What command did you use?

waynus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waynus » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Pjotr was correct it was an Nvidia Driver problem.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvid ... ntu-14-04/

Up and running now.

Thank you for your help!!!

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 am

doorstop wrote:The Fix
At the login screen, press ctrl+alt f1 to get to a terninal. Login, then do: sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon .
Uhh this saved my desktop. I couldn't get past the login, it would just bring me back to the login screen every time.

Cheers dude,
Donate to your favourite distros!

jfchabot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jfchabot » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 am

Chiefahol wrote:
Uhh this saved my desktop. I couldn't get past the login, it would just bring me back to the login screen every time.

Cheers dude,
Hello! I have dual boot (Windows 7 and Mint 17). At login the system do not recognise my root password. I use the command: sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon and it works fine one time and was able able to enter but do not fix the problem. The problem stay the same each time I want to login into Mint and now the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon do not work any more.
Please help!

jfchabot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jfchabot » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:49 am

Chiefahol wrote:

Cheers dude,
Hello! I used this command one time and I was able to login but it do not fix the problem. I am still unable to login (the system say that i must write password in the correct case) and the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon do not work any more.

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:36 am

jfchabot wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:

Cheers dude,
Hello! I used this command one time and I was able to login but it do not fix the problem. I am still unable to login (the system say that i must write password in the correct case) and the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon do not work any more.
Welcome to the Forums!

You should make a new thread for this issue in the 'Newbies' section of the forum, you will get much better responses in your own thread. :)

I'm sorry i can't help with your specific issue, another forum member will be able to help you though.
Donate to your favourite distros!

AnickaT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AnickaT » Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am

Thank you very much! Your tip worked for me.
Like :-)
There and Back Again :-) Windows XP, Linux (Ubuntu, Debian), Windows 7, Linux (Linux Mint)
Dell Inspiron N5110 & Linux Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu)
"Goro bílý pes"

Return to “Installation & Boot”