How to show Windows 10 in Grub not Windows 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

How to show Windows 10 in Grub not Windows 7

Post by RamBurner »

I have Windows 10 on a separate internal drive that had been updated from Windows 7.
It still shows Windows 7 loader in Grub. How do I get it to show Windows 10?
Updating Grub had no effect on it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to show Windows 10 in Grub not Windows 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

When you did the Win10 upgrade it updated the existing Win7 boot loader info with stuff needed for Win10 -- which is why GRUB still thinks that is Win7.

I've run into the same situation and what I did was install GRUB-Customizer to allow me to easily change the wording on the GRUB boot screen.

Manually making that change is the only way I've found to make GRUB indicate Win 10.
Ventotene

Post by Ventotene »

Know Win10 is 'free', why are canny Linux folk even touching this dreadful OS with a 10 foot bargepole.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Windows 10 is not free, it is almost $100 US here in America for the standard Home Edition. Linux is free.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Thank you Mark Phelps for the information to change it.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Rocky Bennett wrote:Windows 10 is not free, it is almost $100 US here in America for the standard Home Edition. Linux is free.
Windows 10 is a free UPGRADE to an existing, licensed version of Win7/8/8.1 -- and that has been the case since it came out.

And now, with the latest version (1511) you can install Win10 to a clean drive and activate it manually by entering the product code from your previous Win7/8/8.1 OS. This was not possible until the updated version of Win10 came out in November, 2015.
MeatHelmet

Post by MeatHelmet »

You can also go to /boot/grub and edit grub.cfg (as root, if I recall). It's a text file. Simply perform a word search for "Windows 7" and edit it as needed. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”