Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Freeze on shutdown

Post by jdmckay » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi,

As subject says... happens with 17.2/3 Cinnamon. Tried most everything search here turned up, several proposed solutions on Ubuntu forums made matters worse. Just tried installation of Ubuntu's current desktop, same thing (freeze on shutdown).

My computer's bios set up for legacy (not UEFI) and my boot loader (for all installations I've tried) in boot partition (not on disk). I know UEFI recommended but I have reason to do it this way and suspect it's part of problem as this didn't happen w/boot loader outside of my installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Leon8200
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Freeze on shutdown

Post by Leon8200 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:35 am

I had a similar issue with 17.3 cinnamon and 17.2 XFCE, when I would shut down mint after my pc turned off a few seconds later it would power right back on :x

the only thing I could do to break the cycle was to "restart" my pc and when it reached the bios I would hold down the power button hard killing it, it was the only thing I could do :?

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freeze on shutdown

Post by jdmckay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm

There are quite a few folks judging on posts here experiencing the same problem: proposed fixes largely do not work. Perhaps this should become an acknowledged bug.

FWIW, only decent desktop distro (Debian/Ubuntu) I tried that had no problem with a clean shutdown is: lxle (worked fine).

If any of the more experienced hands here would care to walk me though determining precise diagnosis/fix I'm all for it.

Thx.

Return to “Installation & Boot”