Old laptop install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stew

Old laptop install

Post by stew »

I've attempted to install both Mint and Ubuntu on an old Avertec 3100HS laptop. Laptop is x86, still has decent graphics, a 40Gb hard drive and I just changed RAM from 128Mb to 640Mb. I'm using an older Cisco 802.11b wireless card in the PCMCIA slot. When I run live CD the network card, video and sound are correctly identified and I have Internet and LAN access. When I attempt to install the system hangs after partitioning while copying files. This is true of both Mint 5 and 6 and Ubuntu 8.10

Why can't I install? Is there some method to get through installation as it appears (from live CD) the system will indeed work?

Thanks, Stew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
herman

Re: Old laptop install

Post by herman »

How long are you waiting before you decide it has 'hung'?
Sometimes the installers can appear to hang for quite a long time at certain parts of 'installing system . . . ', it depends on your hardware. The installation times can vary a great deal.
Maybe you just need to wait a lot longer.

If the laptop features an optical drive lense that slides out with the CD tray for easy access, try cleaning it with a cotton bud ('Q Tip), and some methylated spirits ('denatured alcohol'), that might help, also wipe the CD with a soft cloth and some metho (denatured alcohol). Maybe that will help.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Old laptop install

Post by exploder »

The low amount of RAM is the problem. You need something light like,TinyMe or SliTaz unless you can add some more RAM.

Return to “Installation & Boot”