Before you post please read how to get help
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

How to preserve configuration settings?

Post by jharris1993 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Greetings!

Issue:

I frequently do a number of installs on different media, or different machines. Ultimately I end up configuring them all pretty-much the same way, and I have to do the same set of configuration steps over, and over, and over, and over, (sheesh!), and over, and over again. . .

Note: This ONLY applies to the Cinnamon and Mate desktops.

What I have done:
I have created an "installation configuration" script that I have on a thumb-drive, that I place on the desktop of the current install (along with some other things, like my list of Linux Magic Words and Spells, a folder full of useful administrative tools, etc.) Running the script - as root - configures the system, updates the repositories, updates the system, and installs the usual utilities I normally install.

However, there are a few other things that I am still doing by hand:
* Setting the clock display preferences.
* Setting power preferences.
* Setting screen-saver preferences.
* Setting Firefox browser preferences.

I would like to know where all these settings are saved, so that I can capture these settings into one or more files, and then unpack the files over the system after installation - and reboot! - to cause all of these settings to automagically be set the way I want them. Without having to re-re-re-configure ever single installation I do.

Thanks again for all the excellent help I get here!

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to preserve configuration settings?

Post by austin.texas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Make a change in the configuration that you want to track - for example, the power management.
Immediately after saving the change, open a terminal and enter the command:

Code: Select all

find $HOME -cmin -2
That will display all files that have been altered in the last 2 minutes. If you are fast, you can make it 1 minute:

Code: Select all

find $HOME -cmin -1
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 am

Hi jharris1993,
* Setting Firefox browser preferences.
They are in the hidden folder .mozilla in your home folder. You can save and restore the entire folder. It contains everything: settings, extensions, bookmarks, passwords, ... :D

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:23 am

The greatest part of the Cinnamon settings are stored in the binary file /.config/dconf/user. But there are numerous other places also for settings, themes, mini-applications (like applets) and more.

Settings in Firefox are stored in the file prefs.js, but it is not advisable to restore this file alone without the complete FF-profile, because data in other files are related.

Return to “Installation & Boot”