Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Can Linux Mint 17.3 be install on UEFI computer

Post by wpshooter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Can Linux Mint 17.3 boot to / be installed on a UEFI computer ?

I know that the "BIOS" can be change from UEFI to Legacy and then Linux Mint can be installed but just wondering if it can be installed while the "BIOS" is set to UEFI (and that is regardless of whether SECURE BOOT is enabled or not enabled.

Or is it that Linux Mint can only be installed on/under UEFI computer if SECURE BOOT is turned off in UEFI ?

Thanks.

pfd27
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can Linux Mint 17.3 be install on UEFI computer

Post by pfd27 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:59 pm

i just installed on a new uefi laptop. I had to turn off secure boot and left the bios as uefi. Grub was installed to the efi partition. Mine didn't detect windows, so I had to manually partition the drive.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Yes, Mint can be installed on a UEFI computer. I've done it multiple times--though it was a while back so I don't remember the specifics.
It does help to either disable or enable CSM--I don't recall which so if boot fails with CSM enabled, disable it; and vice versa. :)

Now as to whether Secure Boot must be disabled...
Generally, yes, Secure Boot must be disabled, since it (usually) does not recognise the Mint boot keys. However, both I and several other users have been sucessful installing Mint with Secure Boot disabled--an interesting turn of events that Clem confirmed a few months back. AFAIK it's not entirely certain why this works, but it does sometimes. So it's worth a shot to see if you can install Mint with Secure Boot enabled!

This is an excellent guide to installing Mint on a Windows 8 machine (applicable to Windows 10 as well.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:35 am

My Linux Mint 17.3 is installed on a UEFI system, but the only thing that I had to do in the BIOS menu was disable fast boot. I left UEFI as it was and secure boot I did not mess with, but I had to disable fast boot.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 am

These guides will give you the basics of installing in UEFI mode, for dual-booting with Windows, or a single boot system. This tutorial is for installing in Legacy mode to a GPT hard drive:
GPT Partitioning for Legacy/CSM mode Linux Installations
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”