Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Question re upgrading 17.0 to 17.3

Post by expat_tony »

Quiana (64-bit) with Cinnamon 2.2.16 (installed version according to my Synaptic list) has been working nicely for me for well over a year now, and I heeded Clem's words in http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2725 about not upgrading if necessary.

So I ignored LM 17.1 and 17.2., though I have religiously installed every Level 1-3 update offered to me via the panel update applet.

Now, having watched some tutorials about 17.3, I think I'd like a version that takes me through to 2019 and adds several interesting and convenient new features.
BUT. I've configured a lot of customised one-off features into my Quiana (my own Nemo colour scheme, one-click icon-driven commands etc) and wouldn't like to lose them and face the chore of re-doing them.

So my question is, can I click on 'Edit' in the Update Manager and then on 'Upgrade to ...Rosa', and expect my customisations still to be there after the upgrade, or not?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Question re upgrading 17.0 to 17.3

Post by Cosmo. »

This is impossible to predict. Maybe there will be a compatibility issue, maybe not. Save all our customizations or better do a complete image backup, so you can restore, if you don't like it. Another possibility is to install Qiana in VirtualBox, apply your customizations and do the upgrade there.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Question re upgrading 17.0 to 17.3

Post by austin.texas »

My upgrade of Mint 17 Cinnamon to 17.2 via the Update Manager preserved all my configurations perfectly.

On Monday I installed Mint KDE 17 and used the Update Manager to upgrade to 17.3
As a new installation, I did not have a lot of personal configuration done, but there were some (installed programs and theming tweaks). Everything was preserved fine.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”