Intercepting the boot-up repair console.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Intercepting the boot-up repair console.

Post by How-old! »

If there has been a bad shutdown or if I create one with the hard reset button, the next boot offers to enter the repair/check console. This is a very useful feature, but is there a keypress to force this option after a normal shutdown? Prefer not to modify GRUB as this would bring up the option for each boot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Intercepting the boot-up repair console.

Post by Old Ruler »

Certainly. If you dual boot and see the Grub menu you simply need to find the advanced options and boot the recovery system. If you don't see that menu just press escape at the right time early in the boot process will bring it up. May take some tries to find the right moment on fast booting hardware.

But you could boot the live install disk and run fsck on your HDD if you want to check and attempt repairs on its filesystem. It's very good. Saved me a few times, but haven't had the pleasure of using it for ages. Modern hardware is ace! :)
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Thanks, O.R. Sometimes use a Puppy liveCD for repairs & co because it's small and fast, but it's less effort to use the internal console if it's there! Yes, modern kit is too fast - can't always hit the F8 at the correct time...
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

Oops! I told you the wrong key (which is why it was a bit hit and miss when I tried it). It's Shift key, not Escape. Sorry about that.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

How odd - ESC works for me!

Return to “Installation & Boot”