Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading from Darnya to Felecia

Postby Wesdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

I have LinuxMint 4 Darnya installed and would like to upgrade to LinuxMint 6 Felecia. I have searched for threads on upgrades but didnt find anything helpful. There were a lot of upgrade threads and questions but nothing about upgrading from 4 to 6 and skipping 5. I would like to do it without having to start over with a fresh install. I dont use linux a great deal but boot in once or twice a week and play around with it. I have kept all the updates current on Darnya. So whats the best most painfree way to go in and upgrade to Felecia.

Thanks alot in advance and if I missed a thread where this is already discussed point me to it and accept my apology for not looking hard enough. I only did 3 searches and went a couple of pages deep exploring the threads and didnt find anything. It might have slipped past right under my nose.

Thanks,
WesDog

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Upgrading from Darnya to Felecia

Postby proxima_centauri » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21596

Essentially the only way to upgrade from 4 to 6 is to reinstall with the LiveCD, if you do not have a seperate /home partition, then you will have to make a backup if you want to keep all your configuration settings/personal files

Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wesdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I am downloading Felecia now. Installing darnya was smooth and I did make a seperate /home so I will back everything up and install mint 6.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby proxima_centauri » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:22 am

Just a reminder, you mentioned making a backup, which is always a good idea; but from the LiveCD, you can do a manual install and keep /home. You can reinstall the main "/" part of the system on your system partition, and select to use your /home partition also as /home, without formating it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”