Newbie Partitioning Help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keg

Newbie Partitioning Help

Post by Keg »

I am still in the beginning stages of understanding and using Linux. I have a second hard drive that I have partitioned just for Linux distro's. I got tired of flash drives and their slow read, write speeds, I'm not a big fan of virtualbox. If you are using either of these you would be shocked at how much better these distro's run on a real hard drive.I bought a used WD Black 1TB for about $40.Much better than cost of 1TB worth of flash drives.
I am curious and dont quite understand a couple of things about the boot partitions.Here is a snapshot of my sdb disk from Gparted.
snapshot1.png
sbd1 is Mint EFI BOOT
sbd2 is MInt Root and Home
sbd3 is Linux Swap
sbd4 is openSuse EFI Boot
sbd5 is openSuse Root
sbd6 is openSuse Home
sbd7 is Korora EFI Boot
sbd8 is Korora Boot
sbd9 is Korora Root
sbd 10 is Korora Home
sbd11 is Manjaro Boot
sbd12 is Manjaro Root
sbd13 is Manjaro EFI Boot
sbd14 is Manjaro Home
When I installed Korora the installer created two boot partitions EFI Boot and Boot, so, being a newbie, when I manually partitioned Manjaro I put in two boot partitions sbd11(boot) and sbd13(UEFI boot). Do I need sbd8 and sbd11,the two non-EFI boot partitions?
By the way, of all these Linux Mint KDE seems the most polished distro .Manjaro and Korora are also pretty nice but Korora is buggy, and it's hard to install things on Manjaro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Newbie Partitioning Help

Post by srs5694 »

It looks like you've got five EFI System Partitions (ESPs). These are your FAT partitions with the "boot flag" set. Normally just one ESP is sufficient, since it's designed to be shared across OSes. Having multiple ESPs should do no harm aside from the extra wasted disk space. I emphasize the word should because I know of one potential problem: The installer for Windows (at least Windows 7; I don't know about other versions) becomes confused with multiple ESPs, or with FAT-16 ESPs (which two of yours are). Thus, if you were to attempt to install Windows on that disk, you might run into problems. You can work around them easily by changing the type codes on all but one of those ESPs, but you need to be aware of the issue, and you might have to change the type codes back afterwards.

There is one other issue: If you install two closely-related distributions, they might try to place their boot loaders in the same place on the ESP. This is true of Mint and Ubuntu, for instance; both go in EFI/ubuntu on the ESP. Thus, sharing an ESP between these two distributions results in conflict, and only one boot loader would survive. If you used different ESPs, then both boot loaders would co-exist. Depending on how you intend to manage the boot loaders, this might be preferable. This issue does not affect distributions that use different boot loader locations (like Fedora, which uses EFI/fedora, with either Mint or Ubuntu).

Return to “Installation & Boot”