mint 17.3 takes about 45 seconds from its login screen to the fully loaded OS

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
light-blue

mint 17.3 takes about 45 seconds from its login screen to the fully loaded OS

Post by light-blue »

Hi folks,

In every boot my mint 17.3 takes an unusual amount of time to get logged in.
It takes about 45 seconds from entering my password to get fully loaded and during this time i only see my cursor on a black background.
Isn't that strange?

PS:I'm on an Acer 5741G Laptop, with Core i5 M430 CPU and 4GB Ram.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pioruns
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mint 17.3 takes about 45 seconds from its login screen to the fully loaded OS

Post by pioruns »

That's not normal behaviour. What desktop environment you're running (MATE, Cinnamon, etc)? What session is chosen at login screen, have you tried all options (like MATE, Default Session, and whatever else could be there)?
Please paste results of command:

Code: Select all

dmesg
I am sure at this point, without even investigating it, you can create new user profile and it will be working fine - unless you really messed up your system (by mixing repositories and/or desktop environments) :)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 3.8GHz | 64GB ECC DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MT/s | PowerColor Radeon 6800 XT
Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD NVMe | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA @ RAID1 | OS: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid x86_64
light-blue

Re: mint 17.3 takes about 45 seconds from its login screen to the fully loaded OS

Post by light-blue »

Hi pioruns and thanks for your reply,
pioruns wrote:That's not normal behaviour. What desktop environment you're running (MATE, Cinnamon, etc)? What session is chosen at login screen, have you tried all options (like MATE, Default Session, and whatever else could be there)?
Please paste results of command:

dmesg
I am sure at this point, without even investigating it, you can create new user profile and it will be working fine - unless you really messed up your system (by mixing repositories and/or desktop environments) :)
I'm using cinnamon (which is my default session) and i don't have other DE like mate,
I've just installed this new Mint on my laptop and didn't do anything special, just tried to restart it 4~5 times to have an estimation of its boot time.

and the output of dmesg is:
http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/u25d

thanks
pioruns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pioruns »

Your dmesg paste in provided link seems to be not compete, it's only covering less than first 2 seconds since boot. Can you try from command line:

dmesg >dmesg.txt
File dmesg.txt will be created in your home directory. Make sure your Mint is fully loaded when you type that command. Attach that as an attachment to your post or upload somewhere again :)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 3.8GHz | 64GB ECC DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MT/s | PowerColor Radeon 6800 XT
Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD NVMe | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA @ RAID1 | OS: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid x86_64
light-blue

Post by light-blue »

Hi and thanks pioruns,

Here's the output
http://wikisend.com/download/255050/dmesg.txt

thanks
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I'm not really experience in this, but this seems to pop out :
[ 9.121349] EXT4-fs (sda6): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
[ 9.121352] EXT4-fs (sda6): write access will be enabled during recovery
[ 12.119620] EXT4-fs (sda6): recovery complete
[ 12.139819] EXT4-fs (sda6): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[ 21.350479] Adding 6004732k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:6004732k FS
[ 21.354770] EXT4-fs (sda6): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
That partition sda6 seems to have a recurring problem.
Not sure how to further troubleshoot.

If the dmesg chronometer is correct, boot takes you 32s, so fixing the sda6 problem would get you down to 20s which is relatively correct. (My computer takes a bit more than 15s between login screen and fully loaded)
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by foxtreat »

using 64 bit cinnamon 17.3 on a HP 4 ram intel core i3
a usb 3 port and a usb 3 live mint system boots up in about 30 seconds for me
on a HP mini with a intel atom 1 gig ram 32 bit cinnamon (installed mint)it boots in about 11 seconds
new to linux but id say 48 secs is stable compared to win 8.1 taking 1 minute and 29 seconds to boot for me(4 gig pc)
cinnamon is a bit slower compared to MATE but still faster than Ubuntu's Unity
which took me 43 seconds to boot installed on the 1 gig pc
just information for a comparison not a real answer to your problem :(
update:on a 4ram 2 core 2.4 ghz proccesor 500gb HDD with a EXTREMLY customized cinnamon 17.3 and viber at startup with teamviewer it takes about 1 minute,id say you are safe
Steam and Gaming bröther

Return to “Installation & Boot”