Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
shawn524
Level 1
Level 1

External install oddity

Post by shawn524 »

Ok, after strenuous searching, experimentation, and swearing, I am at a stand still. I am trying to install Mint to an external Western Digital 1TB My Book. Now, when I get to the partition table and select the manual option, the external HD does not show up what so ever. But, if I were to go to just the regular partition editor, not through the install that is, it shows up fine, and I can edit it as I please. I'm just plain ol baffled by this. My mother board supports booting from usb and all that jazz. I just can't figure this out.

Any ideas?

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: External install oddity

Post by rdonnelly »

Sounds like the drive is mounted? Does the drive icon appear on the mint desktop? If it does, try right mouse buttom, unmount volume. Then start the installer.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Jace05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jace05 »

im in the same boat... i'd love to hear some response

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Live cd will mount all removable media, use RMB select umount, the drive will no longer be available, then run the partition manager.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

shawn524 wrote:
My mother board supports booting from usb and all that jazz.
To boot Linux on an external drive, your motherboard doesn't have to support usb booting. This is a common misconception. What is important is, "can the BIOS 'see' the external drive, is it mapped?" If it is you can boot Linux located on that external drive.

I suspect rdonnelly has given you the solution to the problem of the installer seeing the external drive. WD however has been problematic with some of their drives. The specialty drives, like you have, in particular.

The most reliable way I know of to boot to an external drive, regardless of type or location, is to use a small, separate /boot partition on one of your internal hard drives. Make a 50 - 100 MB ext2 /boot partition and you shouldn't have problems booting, regardless of where you put the / partition.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “Installation & Boot”