Windows 10 & Linux Mint--- delete recovery partition?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jfcrail
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 & Linux Mint--- delete recovery partition?

Post by jfcrail » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:16 pm

New to the forum and I have not found a clear answer to whether I can delete the windows 10 recovery partition so that I may have enough primary partitions to install Linux Mint.

I have used various versions of Linux over that last few years and really like Mint. I would like to have the option of dual boot system.

I am not a computer savvy person, I know a little bit-- just enough to get in trouble and screw up my extra computer from time to time.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows 10 & Linux Mint--- delete recovery partition?

Post by Pierre » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:49 am

we need to know a little more about your PCs partitioning layout, first.

so, from the live disk / stick, use the Gparted program to paste a screen_shot
of how the partitioning currently is - back to this thread.

at the bottom of your reply, use the tab 'attachments' to add that file.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jfcrail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jfcrail » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:19 pm

partitions.pdf
(86.9 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
This is my current partition set up. I want to install Mint in the 58 Gig. section but get a message that I have too many primary partitions after I start to make the Linux ones during Mint set-up. I am limited to four primary partitions apparently.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:07 pm

jfcrail wrote:
partitions.pdf
This is my current partition set up. I want to install Mint in the 58 Gig. section but get a message that I have too many primary partitions after I start to make the Linux ones during Mint set-up. I am limited to four primary partitions apparently.
Windows is inaccurate. It says you have "unallocated partitions". Those might actually be Linux-formatted partitions. They might use the ext4 file system, for instance, of which Windows is wholly ignorant. Linux tells the truth about your partitions. Look at the drive from within Linux, while running the wonderful partition editor, Gparted, and you will see what is really there, rather than what Windows wants you to believe. Windows would be quite satisfied if you were to believe what it says and delete everything associated with Linux or any other operating system except for Windows.

The reason you get the message is because your drive uses the old standard, MBR, as the partition flavor. You likely upgraded to Windows 10 rather than buying the system new. Back in the day, MBR was the only game in town. GPT is another option, the modern standard actually, and would not give this problem. You can still use MBR, but just make some extended partitions to work around the problem. Linux can deal with extended partitions. Linux can also read and properly classify your Windows partitions, instead of calling them "Unknown" or "Unpartitioned."
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Return to “Installation & Boot”