Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon over KDE

Post by qhris »

I have a 5 yr old HP laptop, which I installed Mint 17.3 with KDE on top. I later added the cinnamon desktop and found that I like it better on my laptop. My question is does it make a difference in performance installing it this way or would I be better off just installing cinnamon on its own as I would probably not be using KDE on this any more. There is a performance issue with this laptop to begin with as it has the legacy AMD 4000HD series video card, and it is no longer supported by AMD (thanks a lot AMD btw) but its a good all round laptop for browsing, emails and watching videos and has the 17" screen for old guys like me :)
Just wondering your thoughts as I'm not sure how one would evaluate the performances.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon over KDE

Post by Dngrsone »

I did the opposite-- installing KDE over Cinnamon. Some settings do seem to get borked, and if you call, say Kate or Konsole from within Cinnamon, then you'll end up with a bunch of KDE infrastructure running in the background, slowing stuff down.

I would recommend installing LM Cinnamon fresh.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

Great, thanks for the reply. I kinda thought that was happening just by looking at Ksys guard, It is showing as KDE4 is running while I am in the cinnamon desktop.
I love a fresh install....
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

So do I. Not a fan of having to do all the changes and settings, though. :roll:
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Following https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... vironments
(by the respected forum member Pjotr), it is advised against mixing KDE and other desktop environments.

So I think it is strongly advised to make a clean install.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

And with Mint 18 coming soon maybe just wait and install the latest greatest
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I'm looking forward to trying out Mint 18 KDE... but soon is a relative concept-- 18 won't come out until after Ubuntu 16.04 releases, and it won't be immediately after that.

My sincere hope is that Bluetooth will work better with the new release.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

Well I did the Mint 18 Cinnamon install and am never going back :) It works great and now have updated most of our computers to that. I tried the KDE 18 on one of my desktops, and even though I like the Mint KDE and have used it for a few years, it seems to be slower or bloated on that unit. The Mint Cinnamon 18 looks nice, and worked great right from the start, which is what I need. Our house is all Linux these days, except for a win laptop and a win desktop for a couple of games we play. Great job Mint people, you are the best!
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

i was a HUGE fan of kde4 and even though kde5 has it's bug fixes, the small things like the widgets in the panels are a MESS so i gave up on plasma5 and went the complete opposite with the MATE desktop. BUT on the other hand i HATE the new linux/mint/mate 18 distro layout so if by the time 17.3 goes EOL (end of life) and linux/mint/mate 18 is still the same i will have to leave linux mint

linux/mint/mate/17.3 is the pinnacle of the mate desktop and why they went and changed everything around i will never understand. lately i don't want any change but the same STABLE and BORING desktop that never breaks

Return to “Installation & Boot”