Attempting an install of linux on my xp to possibly fix a major issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a1smkshp

Attempting an install of linux on my xp to possibly fix a major issue

Post by a1smkshp »

Basically my XP is turning off on boot after i disassembled it to airdust. I considered that it may be a hardware issue but it doesnt turn off randomly. To be clear i try to go into recovery and the machine won't turn off until i actually start the process. I tried booting with a secondary hard drive that has windows7. It tries to install but i get a message i basically understand that i need to actually log in before i can install. I may be wrong because it was a "code purple". (computer doesn't shut off randomly here neither) At this point i came up with the idea of trying to install linux. It's through a flash drive that i used to install linux on my laptop.

I boot it and select linux mint but this is where it freezes and shuts off. This is the part that im stuck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Attempting an install of linux on my xp to possibly fix a major issue

Post by Cosmo. »

I assume (because of XP) that this an older computer. Which version of Mint did you try? In case of 17.3 try LM 17 or LM 13.
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

I tried 17.3...ok i will try what you recommended and I'll reply when i can. Thank you
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Also I'd choose the Xfce version of whatever edition you're using.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

Ok i tried it and it didn't work. It tries to start but the machine shuts off after about 45seconds. I didnt try an Xfce version though because i didnt see it. Still tho it doesnt seem to matter which version it is =/
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Why wouldn't that matter? It might very well matter. Xfce needs less resources than the other current versions of Linux Mint. That's why I recommended it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

a1smkshp wrote:I didnt try an Xfce version though because i didnt see it.
Get the 32 bit version here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=213

Or the 64 bit here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=214

XFCE uses less resources than the other desktop environments, so for an old XP machine, that's probably what you'll want. Also, you probably want the 32 bit version, as it will use RAM more effectively. (I'm guessing that your old computer probably doesn't have a lot of RAM in it.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

It didn't work. I tried the 32bit too. I thought it did work because it got as far as the logo. And then the machine powered off.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

First sign of some processing effort and it goes all wobbly? Symptoms similar to...
CPU-has-no-heatsink (seconds)
CPU-heatsink-interface-has-an-air-gap (minutes)
CPU-fan-is-running-backwards (minutes)
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

Mute Ant wrote:First sign of some processing effort and it goes all wobbly? Symptoms similar to...
CPU-has-no-heatsink (seconds)
CPU-heatsink-interface-has-an-air-gap (minutes)
CPU-fan-is-running-backwards (minutes)
Well it lasts just over a minute at most

CPU has a heatsink Im sure of that

"CPU heatsink has air gap." maybe. i cant say. If so should i just tighten the screws?

"CPU fan is backwards" i considered that and tried placing it the "correct" way. Ill try again just to triple check but u doubt it.

FYI,
*one guess i had was that i messed with the bios settings but i reset it to default.
*the option i haven't tried yet was a full system recovery where i wipe the entire hard drive.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"If so should i just tighten the screws?" No. The heatsink is usually attached to the CPU with a controlled-force mechanism to stop over-enthusiastic pressure squashing it. An air-gap would appear, for example, trying to use the same hardened heatsink compound after disassembly, or cleaning the surfaces and omitting new compound. If you didn't split the CPU-Heatsink combination, it's not a problem at the top of the list.

Fan direction...it is supposed to push cooler air onto the heatsink, not pull the hot air off.
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

"trying to use the same hardened heatsink compound after disassembly, or cleaning the surfaces and omitting new compound"

So after disassembly this can happen. I havent tried adding new heatsink compound. I will do that though just to be sure. This didn't seem like the issue to me because like i said the machine doesn't turn off at random. For example i can leave it on in recovery "options"...once i begin the process it then shuts of. Do you understand? If im wrong please correct me, im just trying to clarify.

Also my computer had malware which made this a possibility to me.

The fan is ok. I just started second guessing myself.
Calthrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Calthrop »

It appears that the point here is precisely that the shut-downs are not random. It seems that whenever the processor moves from an idle state to a load condition you get a shut-down. That sequence of events fits the scenario that Mute Ant has given. So it is likely that the power supply or processor are faulty, Hardware failures are not always random as you seem to believe.
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

Oh ok well ill look into that. Thank you all for your support. I really appreciate it. I'll post a reply when i can give you an update.
a1smkshp

Post by a1smkshp »

She gave me 13years. Great machine. Great software.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

a1smkshp wrote:Basically my XP is turning off on boot after i disassembled it to airdust.
Keep looking at connections etc. this seems to be something you have done, so don't give up on it. Make and Model please?
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Installation & Boot”