[SOLVED] Laptop does not boot from USB stick

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linuxfreak

[SOLVED] Laptop does not boot from USB stick

Post by linuxfreak »

Hello,

Trying to install Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon from USB stick. But my laptop does not boot from USB stick.
UEFI is set to legacy.

I already wiped my HDD and SDD drive with Gparted so no access at all to my laptop.
MD5SUM is checked and is correct.

I tried 4 different brands of USB sticks. All stick were made bootable using unetbootin under Windows.

Is it my laptop? Or is Mint 17.3 Cinnamon persistent in not booting on my laptop??
I get a black screen or a screen with terminal text saying that there's is no boot device to be found, even with the bootable USB stick inserted. also tried different USB ports on my laptop, same result.

My laptop is a MSI GE70-2PE gaming laptop.

What is going on here??
Thanks!
Last edited by linuxfreak on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Laptop does not boot from USB stick

Post by JOPETA »

Hi linuxfreak!

I don´t know why are you trying a USB Live with persistence or wipped your drives but there´s a lot of entries in the forum if you search with MSI GE70-2PE (including booting from USB problems). Any way the fail your receiving ¨that there's is no boot device to be found ¨ maybe indicates some problem with UEFI/BIOS setting. Make sure you have enabled "Legacy USB Support" from "USB Configuration" in EFI/Bios settings. :wink:
Last edited by JOPETA on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Did you go into the BIOS and set the USB to boot first?
The MSI boot settings are a bit difficult to navigate at first.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

JOPETA wrote:Hi linuxfreak!

I don´t know why are you trying a USB Live with persistence
Didn't see any Live with Persistence mentioned, but good advice anyhow!

Maybe an easy fix would be to boot up 17.1 instead, this works a lot of the time, or else go to this page in addition to what has been suggested.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon.php
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

Sorry :oops: i didn't wear my glasses when reading this
linuxfreak wrote:is Mint 17.3 Cinnamon persistent in not booting on my laptop??

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

JOPETA wrote:Hi linuxfreak!

I don´t know why are you trying a USB Live with persistence or wipped your drives but there´s a lot of entries in the forum if you search with MSI GE70-2PE (including booting from USB problems). Any way the fail your receiving ¨that there's is no boot device to be found ¨ maybe indicates some problem with UEFI/BIOS setting. Make sure you have enabled "Legacy USB Support" from "USB Configuration" in EFI/Bios settings. :wink:
Hi, did youi read my post really cerafully? If so, then you should have read that i set my UEFI setting to legacy already.

To all,

I managed to install Cinnamon with a live-dvd but that took a long time. On my daughter's laptop installing Linux Lite with a live SB stick took a few minutes. So that is why i tried to do the same with my laptop. But now after installing some applications Cinnamon crashed ending up in a sort of gnome2 layout... terrible. But i already see that there are more people experiencing the same with cinnamon keep crashing and crashing... is this a bug in cinnamon? I now wanna try out Mate desktop. Looks great too.

Is my MSI laptop a bad purchase??

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

linuxfreak wrote: then you should have read that i set my UEFI setting to legacy already.
USB legacy support has nothing to be with UEFI Legacy mode.
linuxfreak wrote:Is my MSI laptop a bad purchase??
I have an MSI laptop (not your model) and I know theese machines have not the best EUFI implementations in all models and series. That's all. There is no MSI pandemia. Mint could work fewsly in your MSI laptop as in mine.
linuxfreak wrote:But now after installing some applications Cinnamon crashed ending up in a sort of gnome2
I don't Know if you are talking about your daughter's laptop or yours. Please open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) copy&paste following codes and post back results using Code.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxn
If it is your daughter's laptop open a new topic with this, If not, some details are needed: Windows present/preinstalled?, HD/SSD partioning(GPT/MBR)?,...

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

linuxfreak wrote:Is my MSI laptop a bad purchase??
My comment was not meant to say that MSI is a bad choice. It is just that their BIOS or EFI setup (and their manuals) are not intuitive. For example, you can read all 90 pages in the Ge70 manual,
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/420339/Msi-Ge70.html
and never discover the information that you can get a boot menu for booting a USB drive by pressing F11.
That info is not there! That is pretty sad.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

@austin.texas
Yes it is, I needed to call my local vendor (two years ago :mrgreen: ) to know how to get into UEFI/BIOS setting in my GT70 laptop w/o coming from inside Windows 8 (Spanish keyboard Supr so Dell in English ones) . A great laptop indeed but infected with W8 (there was no FreeDOS option to choose two years ago, nor W7).

In other hand, a fake UEFI/BIOS was a nightmare for me and others (even with MSI desktop PC, as you can find us in forums) when tried to install MInt in UEFI mode. Even booting Mint Live USB/DVD in such UEFI mode was not possible till Linux MInt 17.3 released . We installed in UEFI Legacy BIOS mode and then change into UEFI mode with REefind/Boot Repair USB live help or other tricks. 8)

@linuxfreak
Get into you UEFI/BIOS pressing Dell key as soon a MSi logo appears>Advanced>USB Configuration and make sure Legacy USB Support is enable. (disable let only EFI systems see USB drives as you will see in that window). It is not the same that Boot> EUFI Mode >LEGACY. :wink:

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

JOPETA wrote:] If it is your daughter's laptop open a new topic with this,
i quote myself:
On my daughter's laptop installing Linux Lite with a live SB stick took a few minutes.
Last edited by linuxfreak on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

JOPETA wrote: Get into you UEFI/BIOS pressing Dell key as soon a MSi logo appears>Advanced>USB Configuration and make sure Legacy USB Support is enable. (disable let only EFI systems see USB drives as you will see in that window). It is not the same that Boot> EUFI Mode >LEGACY. :wink:
That's a good one. i'll check this.

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

I would like to teel all of you that my problem is nbot solved but i got now Mint 17.3 Xfce installed and that works fine!

This topic can be closed.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop does not boot from USB stick

Post by pcpunk »

pcpunk quote: Maybe an easy fix would be to boot up 17.1 instead, this works a lot of the time, or else go to this page in addition to what has been suggested.
If you used the same procedure then it was probably the Nvidia thing. You could have used this advice to install, or the link I provided to boot with Nvidia Cards. Cinnamon is a better choice for that machine but Xfce has got it's merits also. Even better would be KDE-17.1. Maybe one day you will run KDE in live Session.

pcpunk
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Installation & Boot”