Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Dual-Booting Linux Mint MATE WITH Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by kanichiro »

Hello,
Is it possible to create a dual-boot system on the same hard drive with Linux Mint MATE "WITH" Linux Mint Cinnamon without causing tons of conflicts?

Previously, I ran a dual-boot MATE with Windows 7, then not long ago I moved to just L/M MATE. However, I ran the "Live" DVD version of Cinnamon and think it is using far less resources than the MATE version does on my 7-year old laptop.

What I would like to try is installing both MATE and Cinnamon as a dual-boot system for a real-life test over the next couple of months so that when Linux Mint 18 arrives I'll know what is the best version for me to install.

I realize I could keep running Cinnamon from the DVD, but it would be much easier of I could install both versions at the same time.

I wanted to ask before I possibly trashed my system!

Thanks!
Dis93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual-Booting Linux Mint MATE WITH Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by Dis93 »

MATE and Cinnamon are just desktop enviroments. The base installs are the same. You don't have to have separate installs for each DE.
MATE is supposed to be a lighter DE than Cinnamon.
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

I've read that MATE is supposed to be lighter.

However, running the Live DVD if Cinnamon with lots of stuff running at the same time I found I was using far less memory than I do with MATE running about the same amount.

Watching the resource use from the System Monitor on this laptop, Cinnamon sucks up far less memory than does MATE running the same about of things.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you want to install both, it is no problem. I have 6 different linii installed, each in it's own partition.
It is not a good idea for them to use the same /home partition, because the configuration files will get borked. Instead use a /data partition.
Another thing you need to pay attention to is which Grub is controlling the Grub menu. If you install Mint Cinnamon on one partition, and then install Mint Mate on another partition, and install Mate's Grub to the MBR - Mate will be controlling the Grub menu you see when you boot.
If you then decide to delete Mate, you will not have a working Grub menu anymore. In order to delete Mate, you would have to boot into Cinnamon first, and run the commands:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
(assuming it is sda, not sdb)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

Thanks for the dual-boot information, Austin.

However, overnight I decided that the best way to know for certain if Cinnamon takes up fewer resources as I suspect while installed on my laptop is to reformat and remove MATE and then install Cinnamon only. This I plan on doing either later today or tomorrow.

I am not sure why MATE is sucking up my resources like it does. MATE behaves the same install after clean install. However, I found that Cinnamon, while running "live" from the DVD uses far fewer resources on my laptop than does L/M MATE. As I said the only way to be certain is to nuke MATE and install Cinnamon only.

Thank you Austin, and thank you Dis93 for your input!
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

I wanted to post an update after reformatting and using only Cinnamon for a week.

Attached is a screen shot of my resource use under Cinnamon. This was taken while I had two instances of FireFox running, each with multiple tabs open. I was also streaming a radio show from Australia. I also had Opera running with one open tab.

Under MATE, my memory was virtually maxed out. Also, my CPU usage was much higher than under Cinnamon. I've read that Cinnamon is supposed to use more resources, but on my 7-year old laptop, MATE uses far more resources than Cinnamon while running about the same number of programs & stuff.

The memory use in MATE is not released back to my computer even after shutting every app down. There seems to be a memory leak in MATE on my laptop that does not exist in Cinnamon. Needless to say, I am sticking with Cinnamon.

There are a few things with Cinnamon I am not savvy about quite yet. In MATE I was able to insert an applet on the Panel that could open a specific file, such as a specific spreadsheet. I also had applets on the Panel that would open a specific Internet streaming site. So far, I've not found a way to do that with Cinnamon, but these are topics for separate threads.
Resource Use.png
sikejsudjek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sikejsudjek »

That confused me too for a while ! To make a shortcut to a file, open nemo (file manager in cinnamon) click the file to highlight, then click edit in nemo's menu, and make link. Drag shortcut to desktop. Not sure about network links yet...
kanichiro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kanichiro »

Thanks, sikejsudjek, I'll try that and maybe there is a way to copy the applet from the desktop to the panel.

I want to put the applets on the Panel. I prefer to keep my desktop clean, and without clutter. This was easy for me to do in MATE, but I'm not sure if it's possible in Cinnamon. At least I haven't found a way to do it yet.

Return to “Installation & Boot”