Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Dual Boot on seperate SSD's

Post by josweet »

Using two new SSD drive's, what would be the best way i should make a Mint/Windows a dual boot machine. Im not sure which version of Windows ill use (7, 8.1 or 10) but Linux will be the primary o/s
Should i install Mint first & then windows after or vice versa.
I will remove the drives from seeing each other within the O/S so all i really need is the a boot option after post.
My M/B is a modern Asus UEFI type
Elizine
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual Boot on seperate SSD's

Post by Elizine »

If you want them completely separate unplug the Linux drive and install Windows on the new SSD. Plug the Linux drive back in. Select which drive to boot from from the BIOS boot screen.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you are going to install in UEFI mode, it makes things a bit more complicated. If you install Windows to one drive in UEFI mode, it will create the ESP (EFI System Partition) on that drive, and the boot info will be registered in the NVRAM.
If you then unplug the Windows drive and install Mint in UEFI mode to a different drive, a new ESP will be created. Neither drive will be aware of the other. An additional problem is that when you unplug the Windows drive, the NVRAM information is re-created to reflect that the Windows drive is missing.
I would leave both drives connected.
Install Windows to sda - which will create an ESP on sda. Your ESP will probably be sda1.
Then install Mint to sdb, making sure to install the bootloader (Grub) to sdb1.
In order to do that, you probably have to create your partitions (including your ESP) on sdb before installing. Then use the "Something Else" option in the installation program.
Your ESP will be about 300 to 500MB, formatted FAT32

Then set the computer's boot order to boot sdb first.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josweet »

Thats excellent, ill give it a try and & see how it goes. Thanks for the info, i wasnt sure which direct to go in at first.

Return to “Installation & Boot”