[RESOLVED] Install 17.3 to Asus AM1M-A MB (Bad RAM)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

[RESOLVED] Install 17.3 to Asus AM1M-A MB (Bad RAM)

Post by appalbarry »

I want to install Mint Linux 17.3 to a brand new Asus AM1M-A motherboard with an AMD 5350 CPU and 8 gigs of Kingston RAM.

Eventually I'll install the OS to a Kingston SSD, but right now all that I want to do it get the Live USB or CD to launch and run.

From trolling the Internet I'm gathering that I'm running into some kind of Secure boot/UEFI problem, but I've never had the delight of dealing with that before, and am quite lost.

If some kind soul can tell me EXACTLY what BIOS settings will let this thing install I will be eternally grateful.

(Side note: I've spent way too much time Googling forum posts that kinda sorta are similar, but have found that there's always some small difference that means what's offered isn't applicable.) (FWIW, no, Secure boot cannot be disabled. The best you can do is "Other OS," which didn't solve the problem.)

At various times, and various BIOS settings, I've run into kernel panics, and the UEFI screen that warns that hardware has changed, please press N etc. Other times things just seem to halt with no warning.

I've pulled the CMOS battery a couple of times to clear the BIOS changes, but that hasn't solved anything either.

The only hardware attached to the MB is the USB key with the live Linux on it. Or a CD with the same. There is no wireless card installed yet.

Barry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Install 17.3 to Asus AM1M-A MB

Post by Reorx »

For starters:
Set BIOS to Legacy (not UEFI)
Turn fast boot OFF
Turn secure boot OFF (select "Other OS")
Enable USB boot and put USB first in the boot order... and give it a try. Report back with specific error messages or other details...

<I think "Other OS" turns off secure boot>
From page 58 of the manual for this MB >>>
MB_manual.jpg
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

OK, it does start to boot from the USB. No grub screen, just starts to load.

I get the initial Mint loading screen with the count down, then it goes to an empty gray screen with a cursor blinking at the top corner.

Been there for five minutes with no change.

Hit the reset button on the PC, Got the Mint logo and countdown, then black, then kernel panic.

Screen grab here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_l9Q ... RRSExqQ1ZR
Last edited by appalbarry on Fri May 06, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Try pressing any key (space bar) when you see the count down...

P.S.: Which Desktop Environment (DE) are you trying to boot?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Hit the space bar - never saw that before - which choice do I want from the list offered up?

Cinnamon.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Tried starting witch compatibility mode, got as far as:

Code: Select all

Loading /caspar/initrd.lz..................................................ready
Then stalled with a flashing cursor.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Try the first for starters. If that doesn't work, try "compatibility" mode... post outcomes.

I was just reading the release notes looking for known problems... It's bed time for me (I'm @ GMT -4)... you might consider similar. LM17.3 Cinnamon release notes can be found here.

P.S.: If you get a chance, check the MD5SUM of your ISO to make sure it came down intact and that your not going to be banging your head against a corrupt ISO!
Last edited by Reorx on Fri May 06, 2016 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Image Image Image
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Thanks! Lots of good info there - never thought to check Release Notes.

In the past Mint always just installed without a hint of trouble on any machine.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

appalbarry wrote:In the past Mint always just installed without a hint of trouble on any machine.
Ahhh, the good ol' days! I miss them...

Don't forget the MD5SUM...

P.S.: Asus AM1M-A thread here on the mint forums - might shed some light?...

P.P.S.: Try the "nomodeset" option described in the release notes... <found a reference to this thru google>

Image Image Image
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Tried nomodeset with no success.

I'm downloading previous editions of Mint to see if they work.

At least the kernel panic seems consistent. :)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The first thing I would suspect is a bad download, or bad burn.
How was your Mint USB created? From Windows?

If you are going to install in Legacy mode to a GPT drive, there are some things you need to know.
1) You have to create a "bios_grub" partition of about 1 MB or so...
2) You will have to create your partitions before installing, and then use the "Something Else" option in the installation program
3) When you create your final partition, leave about 1 MB of free (unallocated) space at the end of the drive - because that is where GPT partitioning stores a backup copy of the partition table.
Use this tutorial → https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tuto ... artitions/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Followup: Ubuntu, SUSE, and Fedora also crash with the same fault.

If I owned a Windows disc I would try that. :)

Who knows - maybe bad MB?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Check to see if a firmware update is available for your motherboard.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

More followup:

It was suggested that I update the BIOS, which I did. It was on 1301, my CPU requires 1501.

Check here: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AM1MA/HelpDesk_CPU/

(Incidentally, very easy to do)

(In my defence, I might have done that sooner, except the the product information part of the ASUS site was down on that day. In fact, a lot of parts of that site seem to be less than functional.)

Still get the same kernel panic, so I'm off to ASUS support land....

(Just for consistency, here's what I posted over on the ASUS forums: https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id ... uage=en-us
By way of followup,

a) Have tried every possible BIOS setting, with options on and off, boot priorities etc. Everyone on the Internet suggests roughly the same things, and they haven't worked.

b) Mint 17.3, 17.2, 17.1; Ubuntu; openSUSE, Fedora all crash as well.

c) Did update the BIOS to 1501 to support my CPU. I would have likely done that sooner except that product info part of ASUS' web site was down on that day, so I had no way of knowing it was needed.

I'm actually finding a lot of things that are broken on the ASUS site - including the email form to request support.

d) I now know that motherboard support by chat is not open on weekends. Would have been nice if the web site warned me about that.

e) Someone on the ASUS twitter account sent me an email to use instead. socialsupportus@asus.com

f) I am trying very hard to NOT spend more money on long distance charges to call the support phone line.

At this point I'm seriously suspecting that I just have a bad motherboard.

Barry
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Half hour on the phone with ASUS tech support - who were nice, knew what they were talking about, and didn't treat me like an idiot - and the MB is on it's way back for repair/ replacement.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad you got it figured out, and they were supportive.
Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [RESOLVED] to the title.
Linux Linx 2018
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Followup: ASUS did indeed determine that the motherboard was faulty, and replaced it with a new one.

Which didn't solve the problem, so I guess that their support people guessed wrong.

After another hour or so of chasing possible solutions all over the Internet I finally ran memtest86 (from the Mint installer as I recall) and it found that my brand spanking new 8 gig Kingston HyperX memory was bad.

In my defence, it's been ten years since I built a system, and I forgot that you ALWAYS swap out the RAM to see if that's the problem.

Dropped in an el cheapo 4 gig stick of RAM, all is good!

So in order, here's what (ideally) I would have done:

1) Install the MB and RAM, hook stuff up.
2) Go here to see if you need to upgrade the BIOS to match your CPU. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AM ... pDesk_CPU/
3) If so, download the update, unzip it and put the CAP file on a fresh USB stick formatted for FAT or FAT 32. Insert it in the PC.
4) Start the PC, hit F2 when you see the ASUS logo.
5) Once into the BIOS setup, select "Advanced", Then Tools, then the first item on the list: ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility It will walk you through the process of updating the BIOS. Just select your CAP from the list, click again, and wait til it's done.
6) Restart the PC, hit F2 again for BIOS setup.
7) Choose "Advanced", then "Boot"
8) "Fast Boot" - disable
9) "Secure Boot" - change to Other OS.
10) Exit: Save Changes & Reset
11) Start the updated PC from a Mint live USB stick, then click Install.

Possible other settings changes:

There was so much fiddling that I can't be entirely sure about these:
1) You might need to enable Legacy USB Support for the USB ports. (Advanced | USB Configuration)
2) You might need to set the boot sequence to default to non-UEFI USB device. (Advanced | Boot)

Finally, if things just seem to have gone all wrong, shut down, UNPLUG the PC, remove the round CMOS battery on the motherboard, wait five minutes, put it back in, then start over fresh. This resets everything back to the factory settings.

Return to “Installation & Boot”