<Solved>Move home dir and reinstall grub?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

<Solved>Move home dir and reinstall grub?

Post by lonestar144 »

Hello all,

I have a dual boot setup with windows, with the widows drive containing boot. The windows drive is a 1TB drive with 2 partitions, one for system and one for backup storage. I want to format the windows partition and use that as my home dir, as the drive I have mint installed to is only 80GB and I'm running out of room. I have thought about just reinstalling mint on the other drive, but I have spent a long time getting stuff set up and don't know if I could remember all I have done, lol. So, how would I go about moving my home to the other drive and making sure grub installed. I have done some reading, but most guides are geared towards more experienced users. Could one maybe try to explain, as to a 2yr old, on this? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Move home dir and reinstall grub?

Post by Pierre »

you could move the /home directory to the bigger HDD,
but it would be even easier to just move your data over to that big HDD instead,
- keeping just the minimum on the /home directory of that 80Gb HDD.
movies, music, documents - that sort of stuff, can all be moved over.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonestar144 »

Pierre wrote:you could move the /home directory to the bigger HDD,
but it would be even easier to just move your data over to that big HDD instead,
- keeping just the minimum on the /home directory of that 80Gb HDD.
movies, music, documents - that sort of stuff, can all be moved over.
Ok, say I format the windows partition and move my files over, keeping home where it is, would the mbr/boot be affected or would I need to reinstall grub?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Before going further please install and run the boot info script, open a terminal and provide the link resulting from second command:

Code: Select all

apt install boot-info-script
sudo bootinfoscript --stdout | pastebin
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonestar144 »

http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/qaes

I went ahead and formatted my windows partition and rebooted and got the grub menu, so looks like it's all good :D Also, I moved my home dir over to the other partition, wasnt to hard, just took a bit of time. No biggy though. I found some very good guides on all this earlier, more noob friendly. I was kinda tired last night when I was looking and overlooked these. Now just gotta go in and edit grub to remove the windows boot option.

Gonna mark this as solved, just for future reference, these are the links I used

Partitioning/Home/Moving
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Parti ... ome/Moving

Edit Grub2 entries
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/910
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: <Solved>Move home dir and reinstall grub?

Post by fabien85 »

Hi,
Your paste leads to a 404 not found.
I also followed that ubuntu tuto some months ago, inorder to get a separate /home. Works perfectly, I haven't had any problem yet. Instructions are not completely trivial though, so it's good that it worked for you without problem.

If you dont have any windows anymore,

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
will suffice to update the grub menu.

Just for the record, there was also the simpler solution to reformat the windows partition into a linux one (ext4 filesystem), and edit /etc/fstab to automatically mount that partitions e.g. at /home/username/data.
This was simpler and did not incur the risk of data loss, though it may or may not have been adapted to your use. (it would have provided space inside ~/data/ but not in say ~/Documents nor ~/Music etc..)
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <Solved>Move home dir and reinstall grub?

Post by lonestar144 »

yes, I could have used fstab, but I wanted to completely move /home to the other drive as I was gonna eventually move root over as well. When I reformatted the windows drive to move /home over, I went ahead and created a first primary partition to accommodate /root later on. Since my posts here, I have moved all data from original drive to the bigger drive with no issues.

Return to “Installation & Boot”