Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
geoffrob
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia graphics and boot freeze

Post by geoffrob » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 pm

i've been having issues with using nvidia drivers on linux mint 17.3 64bit OS. the OS was installed with no problems and always booted fine. then i discovered in the driver manager that my default graphics driver was an open source nouveau driver, not nvidia. Well as i had a Nvidia GTX760 fitted and the PC was bought primarily to use with some games, i wanted to use drivers to get the best out of my graphics card. i saw there was a recommended driver in the driver manager (352) so i switched to that, only to find the PC would then not restart whenever the nvidia driver was selected.

since then i have looked on the nvidia website for the correct driver for my machine (361.45.11) i have used ppa to get driver updates and have now been able to install the 361 driver but still i cannot boot when using it. if i switch back to the nouveau driver i dont have any issues but i doubt i am ever going to be able to play games. i have had trouble getting games to run, i presume due to the nouveau driver but i am waiting to hear from support about that.

the PC will not boot at all with Nvidia driver set. i get to that moment so many other users have reported, when APCI failed probe appears and a flashing cursor, then it just freezes. i used to do a hard shut down power off but now i found that ctrl-alt-del will restart the boot process, and when i get to GRUB i can edit with nomodeset xforcevesa and that will get me into the desktop, but i dont want to go through this at every boot.

there are still versions of nvidia drivers in driver manager that i have not yet tried but this is becoming a pain in the backside. if the correct driver (361) will not work, then why should any other? Is there a way to save nomodeset xforcevesa somewhere so i do not have to type it into GRUB every boot up, or another way of finding out the conflict which is going on. i really need to get a driver capable of running quite demanding games.

System: Host: geoff-H81M-H Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana)
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: H81M-H v: x.x
Bios: American Megatrends v: F1 date: 12/26/2014
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4440 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 24745
clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 3291 MHz 2: 3295 MHz 3: 3275 MHz
4: 3278 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.45.11 Direct Rendering: Yes

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nvidia graphics and boot freeze

Post by coffee412 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:46 am

So, It sounds to me that there is some conflict between the intel graphics and the Nvidia graphics. I do not know a lot about this as I run a asus board with no onboard graphics and a Nvidia GTX-720 fanless.

I have heard of Bumblebee. Perhaps this is your issue that you need to install Bumblebee and it may fix your problem. I am sure others might chime in here to offer other solutions.

Might also be a situation where you have to define which graphics to use in maybe the xorg.conf file or in bios if there is a setting for turning off the integrated graphics.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

geoffrob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffrob » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:41 am

yes i have heard tell of bumblebee , but i wasnt really sure what it was used for , i shall look into it.
i have also heard tell of the option for turning some things on or off in bios, but havent been brave enough to try. i've only had a linux OS for 2 weeks and most of that time has been spent re-installing or trying to repair after disasters, or looking at tutorials and help pages to fix installation issues. linux doesnt seem user friendly for beginners but i will keep trying.
thanks for the advice

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:09 am

geoffrob wrote:Is there a way to save nomodeset xforcevesa somewhere so i do not have to type it into GRUB every boot up
Edit file /etc/default/grub as root:

Code: Select all

gksu xdg-open /etc/default/grub
nomodeset parameter may suffice, change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Save & exit.

Update grub:

sudo update-grub
Then reboot.

geoffrob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffrob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 pm

thanks for that, it makes a nice change for people to give clear step by step directions how to do something.

geoffrob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geoffrob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:23 pm

coffee412 wrote:So, It sounds to me that there is some conflict between the intel graphics and the Nvidia graphics. I do not know a lot about this as I run a asus board with no onboard graphics and a Nvidia GTX-720 fanless.

I have heard of Bumblebee. Perhaps this is your issue that you need to install Bumblebee and it may fix your problem. I am sure others might chime in here to offer other solutions.

Might also be a situation where you have to define which graphics to use in maybe the xorg.conf file or in bios if there is a setting for turning off the integrated graphics.
i did look into bumblebee but it turned into a disaster for me. i followed their steps to install their commands and then rebooted as requested. i noticed before reboot that they seemed to be switching my graphics card. i thought they were able to detect the 340 nvidia driver was best for my system. as it was, my PC froze up again at the same point and not only that, but bublebee disabled X as it detected that the driver they had forced onto me was causing issues.
so at this point i was faced with a blank screen with prompt without knowing my way out of it. i tried another re-boot and could only get back to the prompt. in the end gave up and re-installed the OS from disc.
i dont think i'll be trusting bumblebee with my PC any more, i dont have the experience with computers to get me out of the mess it got me into.

i dont know why people will say there could be a conflict with intel and Nvidia, there was no such conflict when i had windows installed. it seems to me there is a conflict caused by linux, not only a conflict which means i cannot boot up using nvidia drivers but also a conflict which means i cannot install the games i want to install. linux is extremely frustrating. the same problems keep appearing in forums and much of the time they are not resolved. i have seen the same posts going on for 3 or 4 years and still not solved. like i say, frustrating.

Laurent85
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Laurent85 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:05 am

Did you try booting with the suggested nomodeset kernel parameter ?

Bumblebee should be considered a work in progress, not a stable alternative. See the release notes regarding Nvidia GPU's, for stability reasons you should stick to Nvidia Prime and select the gpu to use from the Nvidia Mint applet.

umesh india
Level 1
Level 1

Post by umesh india » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks, it worked for me. बहुत दिनों से परेशान था nvidia काम नही कर रहा था, आज जा कर सफल हुआ। बहुत-बहुत धन्यवाद।

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm

@ geoffrob, .......
geoffrob wrote:...
For some background information about dual-GPU systems ... https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

Archlinux and Debian are Linux distros developed for tech-geeks who are able to fully customize the OS to their liking; whereas LM(based on Debian and Ubuntu) and Zorin are Linux distros developed for non-tech-geeks who mostly prefer to do minimal customization of the OS = similar to most Windows users. So, the background info about Linux hardware device compatibility problems is usually better in Archlinux and Debian.

Refer also to ... viewtopic.php?t=122257

Return to “Installation & Boot”