no autologin Mint 18 Cinnamon

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: no autologin Mint 18 Cinnamon

Post by Tomgin5 »

I noticed that the timed login popped up on a couple of my machines after the last series of updates. I went into "System Settings" then "Login" on the bottom row. I deselected the checked box of "timed login enabled" . Things seen back to normal.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

sleeper12 wrote:Seems to me there must be a difference between the two machines entries, but darned if I know what it is. :roll:
The entries can be the same but one will work and the other will not. You can clone a drive and put the clone into the exact same hardware and one may work and one may fail. I still consider that it has something to do with systemd files configuration of apps that connect to the internet during boot up. Why that affects mdm, I have no idea.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

In the Login Window screen, in Options, check 'Automatically select last logged in user'. Mine was already checked, but uncheck & check again got auto login working once more. How long, I dunno, but my mdm.conf now looks like this in failed machine:

[daemon]

AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=sleeper
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=sleeper
TimedLoginDelay=5

SelectLastLogin=true

[security]
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Didn't last long, got the login screen again. So, just gonna go with timed login on this machine. I can live with a 5 second delay. Not sure why, but auto login still works on my other machine (fingers crossed :wink: ).
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

sleeper12 wrote:Didn't last long, got the login screen again. So, just gonna go with timed login on this machine. I can live with a 5 second delay. Not sure why, but auto login still works on my other machine (fingers crossed :wink: ).
You've officially joined a long list of others that had high hopes, only to have them dashed by mdm. So many of us have also said, "I don't know why." to the unpredictable behavior of auto login. :D

Both of my boxes now have the failure and I have switched back to lightdm again. Hopefully LM 18.2 will curtail auto login failures.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I've been working with LM 18.2 amd64 MATE Beta for a couple of days now. I selected the auto login option during installation. Have not had even one hiccup yet and that's with numerous reboots, power downs/ups between yesterday and today. Auto login works totally well so far.

Return to “Installation & Boot”