Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Uninstalling a distro on a dual boot machine

Post by royphotog »

I have been running Mint Cinnamon for a few months on an old laptop and like it, but wanted to see if Xfce would run a little faster. After playing around with it I see it is a little faster, but no great speed increase and I like the Cinnamon interface better. My question is, now that i have a partition on my drive for Xfce, is there a war to recover that space? Can I delete Xfce easily?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Uninstalling a distro on a dual boot machine

Post by Reorx »

When you boot your system, what is on the first line of the GRUB menu?

Also, are any of these installations encrypted?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog »

the first line is the Xfce install and no encryption.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

GRUB is in 2 parts on your HD. The first part is in the MBR of the HD. The second part is in /boot of the last distro you installed - XFCE. If you delete the partition that XFCE is on, you will break GRUB and render your HD unbootable. So you have to (effectively) move the second part of GRUB to the Cinnamon installation. The way that this is done (assuming the installations are on SDA) is as follows:

1) Boot the Cinnamon installation.
2) Open a terminal and execute these 2 commands >>>

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
3) Then close the terminal and shut down the machine.
4) Reboot the machine - the Cinnamon GRUB menu choice should be first. If it is, start the Cinnamon installation and login to a desktop. Then start Gparted and remove the XFCE partition - it should be the only partition that is not mounted (If Gparted is not installed on the Cinnamon partition, open Synaptic and install it first). Then close Gparted and shut down the system.
5) Next, boot the Live Mint medium and resize the Cinnamon partition as you like. Apply the changes and when the operation is complete, close Gparted and shut down the system.
6) Boot the system and select the Cinnamon installation again. Then open a terminal and update GRUB again (see second command in #2 above). Shut down the system and then boot it again. The GRUB menu should either not show up or will only have 1 installation listed.

BUT, BEFORE you do this, please post a Gparted screenshot of your HD just to be sure everything is as expected before doing any surgery on the HD (SDA).
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog »

Thanks Reorx for that detailed response. That computer is at my office and I am at home today, I will do that tomorrow when I am back at work.
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog »

Here is the screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

OK, so that screenshot looks as though it was taken from the Cinnamon installation. If that is true, the other installation is XFCE which is on the non-mounted partition SDA6. So if that is right, after executing those 2 terminal commands from my post above, you can delete SDA6 (but don't delete SDA5). Once SDA6 is gone, you can shrink SDA2 (the extended partition) which will leave room that you can expand SDA1 (your Cinnamon partition) into. (Note: you will have to turn swap off and unmount swap (SDA5) and unmount SDA2 in order to shrink SDA2 - this will be easiest to do from a Live session)

Does that make sense? :)
Last edited by Reorx on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Image Image Image
Elizine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elizine »

The best thing to do when multibooting with multiple distros is to have only "/" and NO shared /home.
You can boot with Ubuntu LiveDVD/USB and 'Try Ubuntu". Open Gparted and Format un-needed install partitions, if you want to delete the partition then just do so. You can resize the /home partition as well.
It is however, recommended that you BACKUP /home partition first.

Then boot in to Ubuntu and run update-grub.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Elizine wrote:The best thing to do when multibooting with multiple distros is to have only "/" and NO shared /home.
You can boot with Ubuntu LiveDVD/USB and 'Try Ubuntu". Open Gparted and Format un-needed install partitions, if you want to delete the partition then just do so. You can resize the /home partition as well.
It is however, recommended that you BACKUP /home partition first.

Then boot in to Ubuntu and run update-grub.
Poster obviously responding to some other thread somewhere else (misplaced post)... :roll:

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Roy;

So, how'd it go???

Image Image Image
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog »

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, and thanks for the reply, I have been busy with other stuff and have not had time to jus sit down to do this. I will get to it this Saturday and let you know how it goes.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Thanx :!:

Image Image Image
royphotog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royphotog »

Reorx

done, no menu now. Just boots right into Cinnunum. Thanks once again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”