Mint17.3 Cancelled Install now Win10 wont start

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gilana

Mint17.3 Cancelled Install now Win10 wont start

Post by gilana »

OK, so Now I feel like a fool. A friend brings me his new laptop after seeing Linux on mine. I wanted to install a dual boot Linux Mint 17.3 next to the Windows 10 original installation. Idea was that Win will be for son's school compatibility, but all Online stuff will be under Linux...

In order to boot on the USB drive, I had to change two settings in the BIOS (Secure boot and UEFI) and it booted on the memory stick. We tried the new o/s and saw that the touch screen worked and all peripherals, Great, go for install...

Next step was to install Linux and GRUB, etc, except the option to dual install was not offered. Install was cancelled, and NO CHANGES written to disk, exited Linux, and tried to reboot on W10.

Error: No bootable device -- Please restart system

Booted Linux again and it is clear using Gparted that the 3 original partitions are there, and verified.

Tried holding zero start etc.

Please help, I am a bit embarrassed, but If we can't get WIN10 back we will reformat the drive and run Linux only.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint17.3 Cancelled Install now Win10 wont start

Post by Pierre »

you may have to change those two settings in the BIOS (Secure boot and UEFI),
back again - and see if it booted okay, this time.

but - why did you abort the installation?

do be careful, with the LinuxMint installer - - that you don't wipe out the windows partition:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
that Tutorial was written for win-8x, but also apply to win-10, as well.

what is the difference between your computer & your friend's computer?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Pierre wrote:you may have to change those two settings in the BIOS (Secure boot and UEFI),
back again - and see if it booted okay, this time.
I am pretty sure that is what is happening. You can't change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy and expect Windows which was installed in UEFI to boot again.
gilana

Post by gilana »

I did change back, but still that error. I neglected to mention it in the original post.

I think the installer did something.....bad Ctrl/z - Ctrl/z UNDO UNDO UNDO....
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

gilana wrote: Next step was to install Linux and GRUB, etc, except the option to dual install was not offered. Install was cancelled, and NO CHANGES written to disk, exited Linux, and tried to reboot on W10.

Please help, I am a bit embarrassed, but If we can't get WIN10 back we will reformat the drive and run Linux only.
but - - just how far did you get into the installation?
- you did run the installer - right?.
before you aborted the installation, that is.

since - it does seem to have written something to the HDD .. ..

are you able to post a 'print screen' from Gparted - within the Mint live environment,
back here ?

note: that recovering from this disaster - will take a little time - so don't rush it !

post back here, for further advice - if you have to - step by step - if necessary.

this has happened before - - your certainly not in a unique position.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gilana

Post by gilana »

Shooo, that was a long time ago...I just want to update what happened.

Toshiba and Microsoft have a thing. When I tried to partition the drive, it locked itself, I called Toshiba and told them that I wanted to install Linux and they said, "its not allowed!!" Hahaha.. The then told me that for $50.00 they could give me a password to unlock and re-build the original OS windows 10.

I replied that they should go and find a small room somewhere and bang their heads on the wall.

It cost me $55.00 for a new drive, installed Mint clean, no windows crap, and my friend is thrilled with his new laptop.

Return to “Installation & Boot”