boot repair after windows 10 update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

boot repair after windows 10 update

Post by ejazzkatt »

Hi,

I have tried both Super Grub 2 and Boot Repair Disk

Super Grub 2 did allow me to boot into Linux Mint Qiana with the Super Grub disc in the drive but it didn't fix Grub. As instructed, here is a link to my problem on Paste Bin. http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/jimc I'm not sure if that is a capitol or small "l" in Linux

Boot Repair disc also didn't fix the problem. As instructed, I emailed a link about my problem to boot.repair@gmail.com. Here is the link.
http://paste2.org/PyOC615n I'm not sure if that is PyO or Py0 although I believe it's PyO.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: boot repair after windows 10 update

Post by Laurent85 »

Boot a Live session and open a terminal.

The Windows update might have changed the EFI boot order to Windows first. Install the efibootmgr package:

Code: Select all

apt install efibootmgr
Provide the command results:

sudo efibootmgr
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2002,0005,3005,0001,2001,2003
Boot0000* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
Boot0001* ubuntu
Boot0002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot0003* Notebook Hard Drive - HGST HTS541010A9E680
Boot0005* Windows Boot Manager
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3003* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3004* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3005* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

From the terminal change the EFI boot order:

sudo efibootmgr -o 2002,2001,0001,0005,3005
Then reboot.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Do I do this after booting with the live CD? I'll try it tomorrow. I just got home from work and it's bedtime. Thanks for your help.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Yes from the Live session install the efibootmgr package and change the boot order.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I've tried this several times with no luck. Actually it does change the boot order but when I reboot there is no change. When I booted again with the Live CD the boot order was back to where it was before I issued the command.

Incidentally, I had problems when I did the installation. Before this latest Windows Update, in order to boot Mint I had to stop the boot process by hitting F9, select Boot order. Then Windows Boot Loader appeared and I picked Linux. After that Grub appeared and I could pick Mint KDE.

Here is a link to my earlier problems viewtopic.php?f=46&t=177095&p=917233&hi ... tt#p917233
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

For a simple solution, you can use EasyBCD (https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/)... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Can you tell me how it works? I have the read the information but I still don't understand how it works.First I install it in Windows 10 and then what do I do? Do I reboot and it runs automatically? Do I have to configure something and if so, how difficult is it to configure?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

ejazzkatt wrote:I've tried this several times with no luck. Actually it does change the boot order but when I reboot there is no change. When I booted again with the Live CD the boot order was back to where it was before I issued the command.
Incidentally, I had problems when I did the installation. Before this latest Windows Update, in order to boot Mint I had to stop the boot process by hitting F9, select Boot order. Then Windows Boot Loader appeared and I picked Linux. After that Grub appeared and I could pick Mint KDE.
The EFI firmware is defective, it's a common issue with computer manufacturers delivering Windows OS computers. You may look for a firmware upgrade from your computer manufacturer.

Installing rEFInd manually in the ESP is an alternative, the procedure can depend on current files located in the ESP and on the EFI firmware implementation.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

ejazzkatt wrote:Can you tell me how it works? I have the read the information but I still don't understand how it works.First I install it in Windows 10 and then what do I do? Do I reboot and it runs automatically? Do I have to configure something and if so, how difficult is it to configure?
EasyBCD is a Windows app that allows you to add boot information to the Windows files in order to boot Linux distros.

To do that, you start EasyBCD and then click the Add New Entry button.

Then, on the right side of the Window, in the upper part, you select the information needed for the Linux partition.

When you save it, the next time you boot, in the Windows OS menu, you should see an entry for the Linux OS.

Also, if you go the the NeoSmart Technologies site, they have FAQs that walk through this.

Good Luck
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Thank you Mark Phelps for the information.

Laurent85, what is ESP?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

ejazzkatt wrote: Laurent85, what is ESP?
The EFI System Partition, the FAT32 partition where are stored the boot loader files for any system installed on the computer booting in EFI mode. This partition is generally sda1, Mint installer name it as type efi.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Thank you Laurent85.

Return to “Installation & Boot”