Need Mesa Drivers To Run WOW Via Mint CrossOver

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Need Mesa Drivers To Run WOW Via Mint CrossOver

Post by jimwg »

Greetings:

The message below is an exchange between me and one of the Linux techs at Crossover. The issue is self-explanatory. Basically I'm requesting the suggestions and leads of tech mavens for a source to the drivers concerned. The closest related issue my Googling has found is at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2061089 and http://forums.kleientertainment.com/top ... -graphics/

Thanks for any assist!

Jim in NYC

------------------------------------------------------------

> CX Version: CrossOver Linux 15.1.0
> Application: World of Warcraft
> Operating System: Linux Mint 17 (32-bit)

Re: Intel GMA 950 series video cards
There is hope! This tip comes based off of the information from the good people over at Ubuntu
The Intel drivers are quite buggy when it comes to more sophisticated games like WoW, and they cause this game to be almost unplayable on these cards. Nothing can completely make up for poor drivers, but the following tips might make WoW playable at its lowest settings.
Launch Crossover Bottle Manager, Control Panel tab, Wine Config, and go to the Graphics tab. Disable both vertex and pixel shaders.
Open the config.confused file in a text editor and remove any gxApi entries (i.e. SET gxApi "opengl")
Removing these entries will cause the game to run in DirectX mode instead of OpenGL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
Sirs, How do I find the Control Panel and Graphics tabs under CrossOver 15.0? I see only have the main menu with Show Bottles, Icons, Tree, Favourites, but none of the Bottle menus to reach mentioned Vertex and Pixel Shades. Also I did a system search and don't have a config.confused file to work with.
Any help much appreciated!
Keep up the great work!
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Andrew Balfour CrossOver Linux Tech
Posted 2016-06-27 11:26
Hello,

That tip is outdated, WoW now runs by default in DirectX and not OpenGL. After the last expansion WoW updated its graphics and the Intel 950 is no longer capable of running the current version of WoW as it's below minimum specifications https://us.battle.net/support/en/articl ... tem-requir
ements So it's not Crossover, but the game itself that won't work on that old of chipset.

Thanks,
Andrew
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Andrew,
I'm running Mint 17 in one of two partitions on my Thinkpad R60e, and in the XP partition WOW runs respectably well, so it can't be PC minimum specs issue. I hope to move all my gaming over to the Crossover/Mint side.

Good luck resolving this and keep up the great work!

Jim in NYC
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Client Followup
Andrew Balfour
Posted 2016-06-28 10:19
Hello,
Try running /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag and copy/paste the output from that command into this email. Then create a log https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wik ... ubmittechs
upportlog and in the Channels field enter +seh,+tid,+d3d and try launching the WoW .exe. After it fails to start zip & attach the log to this email and I'll take a look. The Intel GMA 950 is really old though and was underpowered when it was new, so I really don't expect it to be able to run a current version of WoW on a non-native OS.
Thanks,
Andrew
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jwg@Spacepad1 ~ $ /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag
[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.8 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="Intel Open Source Technology Center"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="1.4 Mesa 10.1.3"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2"

[Properties]
"opengl.glsl_version"="1.20"

[OpenglNoTextureFloat]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL has no floating point texture support"
"Description"="This is needed to run games using floating point textures."

[OpenglNoGLSL130]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="OpenGL shading language version is older than 1.30"
"Description"="This is needed for limited DirectX 10 support."

jwg@Spacepad1 ~ $

Okay, I should've supplied more info from the get-go.As before, WOW does boot-up clear to the main Starter Edition screen where a gauge is loading up a 29gig streaming file and there's Play button when it reaches playable mode. When hit the button the game screen comes on and for a instant you can glimpse the game's log-in screen before it goes black but music's playing and game info text is at bottom row. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but I put up the run command screen and inputted +seh,+tid,+d3d there, ran WOW till the black screen, ran run and all I got was a pop-up box stating "There's no Windows program configured to open this type of file. Am I doing it wrong?
Thanks and good luck!
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Andrew Balfour
Posted 2016-06-29 13:44
Hello,
Thanks for the info. The last thing I can think to try is see if you can update the Mesa 3D library on Mint to a newer release. 10.1.3 is from 2014 and it's slightly possible the latest version of the Mesa drivers might help as that's what runs Intel graphics chips on Linux. There aren't any official Intel drivers on Linux, and from what I've read there haven't been any bugfixes on the Intel GMA chipsets in Mesa in some time. On Windows you get real Intel drivers that can eek a bit of juice out of that chipset, but on Linux it's likely hitting a driver bug and stopping.
Thanks,
Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”