Linux Mint 18 64-bit Cinnamon - installer hangs on codec checkbox screen until installer is restarted

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 18 64-bit Cinnamon - installer hangs on codec checkbox screen until installer is restarted

Post by Yfrwlf » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:52 pm

Anyone else having the problem where when you click continue after clicking (or not clicking) the checkbox to install the extra codecs (step 2 I think), the installer just hangs there forever? You have to quit it, then restart the installer, then everything works fine. I can see that the installer doesn't even try doing the disk scan in preparation for the next step, but after restarting the installer it works.

I've had this happen over and over again on different USB sticks, but on the same hardware.

Want to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

jdpiguet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 18 64-bit Cinnamon - installer hangs on codec checkbox screen until installer is restarted

Post by jdpiguet » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:19 am

Hi Yfrwif,

What kind of HW do you have?

Regards,
Jacques-D.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 18 64-bit Cinnamon - installer hangs on codec checkbox screen until installer is restarted

Post by InkKnife » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Are you connected to the Internet?

If not the installer might be hanging because it is trying to download the third party packages and failing to do so.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Thirid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thirid » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 am

Hi.

I have the same issue with my laptop (HP G62).
But even if i quit the installer and try it again it keeps freezing at the step 2 (codec thing).
It's connected to internet, but nothing is downloaded.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Sorry all, I can't reproduce this issue in Virtualbox, and the installer USB stick I was using is inaccessible at the moment so I can't verify if the installation medium may have been bad. Still very odd that it would work correctly the second time, though.

Since I can't do more testing for this issue at the moment, is there anyone else with the same issue who can verify it exists?
InkKnife wrote:Are you connected to the Internet?

If not the installer might be hanging because it is trying to download the third party packages and failing to do so.
Yes, it was connected to the Internet. I thought the packages for things like 3rd party apps got downloaded after you passed the hard drive configuration section anyway?
Thirid wrote:Hi.

I have the same issue with my laptop (HP G62).
But even if i quit the installer and try it again it keeps freezing at the step 2 (codec thing).
It's connected to internet, but nothing is downloaded.
What happens when you don't check the box and hit continue? And if you hit quit, then restart the installer, you still can't get past the same spot after waiting for a minute or two? I'd try a self-validation of the USB installation, then try a different USB stick install, and also verify the md5 sum hash of the ISO you are copying from.

mank_ito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mank_ito » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi, this happened to me today.
After the screen was stuck like, loading something, I was searching the web for answers while the mint installer was stuck at the checkbox but when I suddenly came back to see if there was something different... yes, there was. I google'd for like 7 minutes and suddenly switched back to mint installer and it went to the next step with no intervention from me (the Type of Installation screen). Maybe in this past 6 days this has been fixed -- or maybe not and we just have to be patient at that point. But in my case it was just a matter of time and patience. :)

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

mank_ito wrote:Hi, this happened to me today.
After the screen was stuck like, loading something, I was searching the web for answers while the mint installer was stuck at the checkbox but when I suddenly came back to see if there was something different... yes, there was. I google'd for like 7 minutes and suddenly switched back to mint installer and it went to the next step with no intervention from me (the Type of Installation screen). Maybe in this past 6 days this has been fixed -- or maybe not and we just have to be patient at that point. But in my case it was just a matter of time and patience. :)
Thanks for the info! I think I must have waited, I dunno, 5 minutes or so before finally giving up, but if this happens again I'll try continuing to wait, although it doesn't matter because it's still a bug either way. Thanks for helping confirm the issue! I'm not sure if the ISO has been updated since the original release. Here's the md5 and sha512 of the ISO I was using:

8e9dba7e5ae538e06a13c7135bf457f2 linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit.iso
a355ae8d30e38e70545a1c111004530ebc4a0eaeb2f04a154aacc8c26352a140e42980c2dc4518aae5b236403184dec8143736e5a468a705dc509dce98718b1f linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit.iso

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:09 am

I've seen this as well. The same thing happens in the Ubuntu installer sometimes and I have no idea why. Most of the time if you simply wait long enough it will progress. It only does it sometimes though and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Installation & Boot”