Linux Mint 18 boots to UEFI shell after installation, BIOS doesn't see any bootloader

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint 18 boots to UEFI shell after installation, BIOS doesn't see any bootloader

Post by Yfrwlf » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

I have a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard and when trying to install Linux Mint 18 in UEFI mode I just end up at the UEFI shell. The BIOS can't see any bootloader or anything else to boot to other than the UEFI shell.

I assume either my firmware is buggy, or whichever bootloader (grub2 or systemd-boot) that is trying to be installed is installing itself wrong for some reason. :/

Install works fine in legacy mode at least!

Edit: Bug found, see post below!

Issue only apparently happens when trying to do an EFI installation to a drive that isn't sda, the first drive.
Last edited by Yfrwlf on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint 18 boots to UEFI shell after installation, BIOS doesn't see any bootloader

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Here is a nice tutorial for UEFI installs

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 18 boots to UEFI shell after installation, BIOS doesn't see any bootloader

Post by rene » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:44 pm

The same thing happens when installing into an EFI-configured VirtualBox VM which probably says it's relatively fundamental. I get the feeling that Mint 18(.0) will not be going down in history as positive as 17 has.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:32 am

Boot from live usb or dvd and post following.
Is it a dual boot or do you have only mint on the pc?

Code: Select all

inxi - Fx
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:43 am

Hi deepakdeshp,
The forums suggested command to generate the inxi report is inxi -Fxz, the -z option adds security filters for privacy concerns.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:53 am

Thank you Laurent. Noted.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:02 am

Is it a dual boot with windows?If it is then you should follow UEFI process given above.
If there is only Mint on the computer. Legacy mode should be fine.

This is the installatin process.
http://www.linuxtechi.com/linux-mint-18 ... reenshots/
Regards,
Deepak

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:24 am

Manual pingback: this thread just now linked from viewtopic.php?f=208&t=224949.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:13 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:Is it a dual boot with windows?If it is then you should follow UEFI process given above.
If there is only Mint on the computer. Legacy mode should be fine.

This is the installatin process.
http://www.linuxtechi.com/linux-mint-18 ... reenshots/
I don't use Windows. So this issue is already known then I see. :) I was merely reporting that UEFI installation is broken. I'm not needing to install in UEFI as legacy BIOS mode is available, but I still wanted to report that UEFI is broken especially for anyone who doesn't have legacy BIOS mode available.

pfd27
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfd27 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:28 pm

uefi works fine for me. Where did you install grub to?

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:47 pm

pfd27 wrote:uefi works fine for me. Where did you install grub to?
The correct drive containing the necessary boot, swap, and root partitions via the manual partitioning tool. Either the manual partitioner failed to check I had everything correct that I needed on the drive (correctly-sized boot partition, etc), or it did something wrong when it went to install it.

It was the second drive that everything was pointing to, so that could have caused a problem for it too for all I know. If Virtualbox has functional UEFI virtualization then I could attempt to re-create the issue there.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:42 pm

YAY! I found the bug!

It is indeed an issue with the installer doing something wrong when installing to the second hard drive with the manual partitioner.

To recreate:
  • 1. Create a Virtualbox machine with EFI mode selected and two hard drives.
    2. Boot, run the installer, and select "something else" to enter the manual partitioner.
    3. Create the EFI boot sector of 50MB+, I created a swap but that should be optional, and a partition for / all on the second drive. (I did create the labels on both drives, too, if that makes any difference, but did not create any partitions on the first drive)
    4. Select /dev/sdb, the second drive, for the boot loader installation target.
    5. Install the system and reboot when asked at the end.
    6. Cry when you don't get a bootable virtual machine and instead get the UEFI shell!
And no, the issue wasn't because it tried booting to a broken bootloader on drive #1. Both of the drives were freshly created and blank.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:56 am

Note, an EFI-configured VirtualBox 5.0.24 VM even dumps me at the EFI shell with only one disk and after a fully standard, "erase disk and install", Mint 18 install -- after the first shutdown of the VM, that is. Before I shutdown the VM for the first time I can reboot Mint 18 as many times as I like. Certainly a bug there, probably a VirtualBox-only one, and I would as such not be fully confident that the above two-disk situation is an installer-bug specific to that situation.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm

rene wrote:Note, an EFI-configured VirtualBox 5.0.24 VM even dumps me at the EFI shell with only one disk and after a fully standard, "erase disk and install", Mint 18 install -- after the first shutdown of the VM, that is. Before I shutdown the VM for the first time I can reboot Mint 18 as many times as I like. Certainly a bug there, probably a VirtualBox-only one, and I would as such not be fully confident that the above two-disk situation is an installer-bug specific to that situation.
I soft-booted my VM following the reboot request after the install was finished, and almost immediately got the EFI shell, no hard reboot necessary for me on Virtualbox 5.0.18.

More to the point, I experienced this bug on actual real hardware where I did an installation to disk #2, which is what made me suspect and try that angle out in Virtualbox to begin with. So no, it's not a Virtualbox-specific issue.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:49 pm

I understand you got the issue on real hardware. My comment is that you are using things going south in VB as well as on real hardware as indication that's it a to your two-disk situation specific installer bug, whereas I've seen VB EFI installs do nothing but go south, two disks or one. That is, your real-hardware and VB problem may indeed both be the same installer bug -- or the former may be an installer bug, the latter part of the same VB EFI flakyness as experienced by me.

Indeed you not experiencing the issue delayed until a shutdown may say it is not the latter. Even more basicly though, my comment is that VB 5.0.x is not to be trusted for anything with a Mint 18 host; see the other current VB threads for this. And with my own experience of the EFI foul-up; certainly not when configured for EFI.

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:16 pm

rene wrote:I understand you got the issue on real hardware. My comment is that you are using things going south in VB as well as on real hardware as indication that's it a to your two-disk situation specific installer bug, whereas I've seen VB EFI installs do nothing but go south, two disks or one. That is, your real-hardware and VB problem may indeed both be the same installer bug -- or the former may be an installer bug, the latter part of the same VB EFI flakyness as experienced by me.

Indeed you not experiencing the issue delayed until a shutdown may say it is not the latter. Even more basicly though, my comment is that VB 5.0.x is not to be trusted for anything with a Mint 18 host; see the other current VB threads for this. And with my own experience of the EFI foul-up; certainly not when configured for EFI.
There certainly seems to be an issue with EFI bootloader installations either way. Fortunately I doubt those are too incredibly common yet. I'm not aware of any motherboards which don't have a legacy mode, but haven't researched that. Either way if there is flakiness with EFI installations that's not a good experience for new users to have to go through so I wish I could be of more help in tracking down the cause.

Return to “Installation & Boot”