Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Install partitioner not showing all drives

Post by phil »

I just downloaded Felicia 6 XFCE today and it seems very good except for one thing. I cannot do an install.

I have two hard drives. sda which is a pata 80G. I have installed Windows on partition 1 and Data for Windows on partition 2. File system is ntfs. My second drive, sdb is sata 120G and has Mint 4 on partition 1. Mint 5 / is on partition 3, /home on partition 6, swap on partition 5, Now I want to install Mint 6 / on partition 1, /home on partition 6 without reformatting and swap on partition 5.

The Mint 6 XFCE Partition Editor on the install CD accessed from the menu shows the drives correctly but on install only the Windows partitions show. I do not want to reformat them.

So I am stuck and cannot install without disabling the Windows drive, install Mint 6 XFCE, then grub will not work and I will have to fuss around with that. I( am sure this is not the way it is supposed to be. The old install partitioners worked very well. I do not care for the new colored bar style, especially when both drives do not show.

Any suggestions.

Mother board Asus A8NVM, Athlon X64, 2g memory.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Install partitioner not showing all drives

Post by Fred »

phil,

When you get to the partitioning part of the install select manual and assign the partitions to the mount points manually. Be sure and select that only the new / partition be formatted.

You need to take notice that the UUIDs of any partitions that you tamper with or format will be changed so your existing installs that use UUIDs will have to be corrected in their respective /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst files.

EDIT: If you are planning to reuse your config files and data in your /home folder be sure you use the same user name and password for the new install. Be advised that reusing /home has a few "gotchas" so don't expect a completely trouble free, out of the box install.

You might want to look at the thread below. It doesn't address your question directly but you may find it helpful for auto mounting partitions after your install.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I did that Fred. Checked manual but the second drive does not show up. Thanks for the quick response.

Also read you narrative about uuid. I have been using the old drive designations and have not had any problems mounting drives.

The reason I have the old pata drives is that they are still working o.k. I back up regularly as each project is completed or if it is in progress for a while, on a daily basis. I do engineering work in CAD in Belize and Colorado or would not be bothering with Windows. I have three computers running with essentially the same pattern of drives and partitions.
Last edited by phil on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

phil,

Use gparted, it can be found in the menu of the live cd menu, and look at your partition tables. Are all of your partitions and drives shown there?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Here I am again. I use gparted to actually set up the partitions. Problem is the install partitioner does not show all of the drives, in particular the one I want to do the install on.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

phil,

That is definitely an error. Have you used this install disk before? It almost sounds like you got a bad burn.

Fred

phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

After downloading and burning the disk I checked the checksum, it was correct.

So can someone duplicate what I have observed? I think it is probably an unnoticed bug, probably an oversight because very few of use use two or more drives, especially with Windows on the old pata drive. This results in the old drive being called sda and the newer sata being called sdb. The motherboards I use allow this by selecting boot order in the bios.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

phil wrote:
This results in the old drive being called sda and the newer sata being called sdb.
You are absolutely correct, however you should still be able to see the two drives and their partitions in the installer. And many do have more than one drive, I am using 5 internal and 1 external, for backup.

Something is amiss if you can see the drives in Gparted called from the menu, but can't when using the version in the installer.

How about the burn speed, did you burn it s-l-o-w and check the md5 sum after the burn? You definitely want to burn at < 8X, I use 4 X, in a RAW mode. RAW modes may be listed as DAO, SAO or TAO. These isos use some pretty aggressive compression which can often cause a problem when the burn speeds are high, and still get a good md5 sum check.

Fred

phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Fred,

The md5 checks out on the CD. I will try a reburn at very low speed, but this has never been a problem for me. I am using an Asus burner and KB3 to make the disk. I am also reading the live CD with the same drive that made the CD. I will let you know the result. I am going to Mexico today so it will be late this afternoon. Thanks for your help on this issue.

Phil
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Fred,

Felicia is installed, but not without a lot of bother. After five disk attempts I went to the best Linux geek I know. I took my ISO download on my USB stick. We did two more disks with Ubuntu and K3B and the same problem showed up. K3b indicated a successful burn but during the verify said that the md5 checksums did not match. I checked the debuig info and it aplpears that there was a glitch in the write early in the burn process. So we checked the disks we had made and they checked out to be correct. Then we installed direct from the downloaded ISO file on Virtualbox. Everyhthing went just fine. So I tried one of the disks we had made on my own computer and it went o.k. until we got to the "Getting time from network timeserver. Since I use static ip addresses I checked "skip". Nothing happened and soon I got a black screen. Next attempt I did not check "skip" and the install completed. It is interesting to note that several of the disks I had made would let me get to this point.

There are two possibilities I can see for my problems.

The burning of the disks seems to encounter have some kind of glitch. Is it possible that could cause the disk write to use more space than the disks provide?
Could the "skip" for setting time have a bug in it?

What I do not understand is how K3b could say that the written data did not match the original ISO file downloaded, when a separate check of the md5 of the disk indicates that the written data is correct.

Anyhow happy days are here again.

Phil
ColJep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ColJep »

I have the same problem with LM8 RC1 and the final release and have reported a bug on launchpad.

Number 488306

I have been using a two drive setup for ages with no problems. I have mainly been using Ubuntu but have also tried many other distros. All without problems. Even Ubuntu 9.10 was happy with two drives.

Unfortunately I had so many sound problems that I looked around and discovered Linux Mint. What a revelation ! :D I set up a second computer again with two SATA drives and installed Felicia with no problems. I have the system installed on a small partition on one drive and the second drive as /home. I have done this many times before and have solved the little "gotchas".

No prizes for guessing my new distro of choice. I installed my usual programs and have been loving it. Gloria was due so I left my main machine with Ubuntu 9.10 and managed to get sound working but not system sounds. I can live with that for now.

When Gloria RC1 came out I downloaded it and tried to install it alongside Felicia on my test machine. That is when I came across the exact problem you describe. The live CD version of Gparted works with both disks and all their partitions seen and correctly identified. Trying to install gets as far as the partitioner but then only the second /home drive is seen and I am told there is no operating system on the computer.

I reported the problem in the forums and was a eventually asked to report it as a bug. Soon afterwards the final .iso came out and I confirmed the bug still existed. It has now been upgraded from "unconfirmed " to "new" but not yet allocated. I have tried starting the install on a total of three computers with the same result. All are dual disk units two with SATA drives and one with PATA drives.

I shall probably now remove one drive in my test machine and see how good Groria is. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”