[SOLVED]Mint 18 Cinnamon slow boot time 2 min 50 second

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jkorten

Re: [SOLVED]Mint 18 Cinnamon slow boot time 2 min 50 second

Post by jkorten »

Well I uncommented my "quiet" line in the grub file, and my boot process is waiting on a network attached storage device that I mapped to a directory in fstab

(Specifically I have a directory above my home called backup so that I can backup my home directory to my NFS without any circular reference caused by the backup directory being under my home directory)

specifically I have

192.168.1.168:/backup /home/backup nfs _netdev,auto 0 0

This did not used to cause any trouble if my NAS wasn't booted. Now I have a two minute countdown while waiting for this partition to come alive during boot. Is there any way to prevent this wait?

Also - if you Mint folks could please reveal the trackpad control I am being driven nuts by mouse clicks every time I touch the trackpad.

Regards,

Jerry
vidtek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED--Re: Mint 18 Cinnamon slow boot time 2 min 50 second

Post by vidtek »

venik212 wrote:I finally figured it out.
During the upgrade from 17.3 to 18, the UUID of my swap partition changed so it did not match the UUID listed in fstab. The system was trying to find the swap partition with the wrong UUID, and wasted almost 3 minutes doing so before it gave up and proceeded with the boot process.
Once I turned swapoff (in gparted) (and commented out the swap-related line in /etc/fstab), the same system now boots in 8.8 seconds instead of approximately 3 minutes.
It seems to be a soft spot in Linux, which enables the UUID listed in fstab to differ from the one you get with the blkid command.
Since I have 16 gb of ram, I doubt whether I shall ever need a swap partition, so I shall live swapless, at least for now.
Perhaps I should add my disappointment that the clever and useful debugging tools like systemd-xxxx etc. failed to finger the problem.

System: NUC5i5RYK, 16 gb RAM, 250 gb SSD, Mint 18.0/cinnamon.
Thank you venik, this has been driving me nuts for a while. I can confirm it's an issue with the upgrade/or new installation with Mint. The swap file UUID seems to be randomly generated. My boot time has been reduced by 2 mins. Cheers, thanks again. Tony.
Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Mint 18.2 Sonya KDE & win 10 Be/FE myth 0.28
Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10
wackywalt

Post by wackywalt »

This worked for me in LinuxMint19 (Tara).

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029598 ... ng-to-boot
- check /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
- if there is UUID in it like RESUME=UUIID=some-uuid,
then replace with RESUME=none
- Afterwards, sudo update-initramfs -u
- Reboot
refra1n

Post by refra1n »

Thanks @wackywalt and team - this dramatically cut down my boot time of Mint 19 on MacBook Pro Retina.

Return to “Installation & Boot”