Why won't my PC boot from the optical disc drive so I can install Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why won't my PC boot from the optical disc drive so I can install Mint?

Post by Punchy71 »

Certainly

It's a Gateway desktop PC tower bought new in 2012 at Best Buy (model DX4850)

Intel Core i5 2300 (2.80 GHz)
6 GB DDR3 memory
1 TB Hard disk drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (originally it had this on it, then I upgraded to Windows 8 (mistake), then upgraded to Windows 10 (even bigger mistake), which is what it has on it right now.
Intel HD Graphics 2000
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Did you ever get around to disabling Secure Boot or at least determining its status?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 »

Reorx wrote:Did you ever get around to disabling Secure Boot or at least determining its status?
I looked in BIOS and couldn't find any listing of "Secure boot" anywhere. The closest I found was a "Quiet boot - enabled" listing.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

What OS did the computer have on it originally? Did it come with Win10 or was it upgraded to Win10 from Win8.x or Win7?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 »

Reorx wrote:What OS did the computer have on it originally? Did it come with Win10 or was it upgraded to Win10 from Win8.x or Win7?
It originally came with Windows 7 installed. The original owner gave me the computer. Then I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8. Windows 8 was terrible. So I opted to upgrade to Windows 10. Well as it turns out, after me using Windows 10 for some time now as a kind of trial period, it's not so good either. So now I'm trying to wipe Windows off the hard disk entirely and install Linux Mint 18 on it.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Punchy71 wrote:
Reorx wrote:What OS did the computer have on it originally? Did it come with Win10 or was it upgraded to Win10 from Win8.x or Win7?
It originally came with Windows 7 installed...
So I assume that there is no secure in the BIOS on your machine. I believe that secure boot came in with WIn 8...
Punchy71 wrote:So now I'm trying to wipe Windows off the hard disk entirely and install Linux Mint 18 on it.
Wish you had said this earlier. Use whatever methodology you used earlier to boot the DVD. Then click install and do a "whole disk" installation. The install routine will wipe Win10 for you and install Mint. :mrgreen:

P.S.: Don't forget to back up any important data from Win10 before nuking the HD and installing Mint.

Image Image Image
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 »

Well, my desktop PC finally saw my usb stick after I rebooted the PC with the stick in the USB socket while it was off. Upon turning it back on again, it saw the USB stick with the .iso image and I was able to launch and install Linux Mint 18 finally.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Life's good!

Image Image Image

Return to “Installation & Boot”