can't boot live usb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrJohnny

can't boot live usb

Post by MrJohnny »

Hi all, i just bought an asus k550vx-dm108t with intel skylake cpu, and i've been trying to install mint (and other distros) without success.

At the begin i could boot live usb of mint 18 and 17.3 (this one has an abnormal cpu usage on my pc) and install
After some time it didn't boot anymore, but the live usb would still boot as usual. So i tried with newer kernels (4.5 and 4.6 stable versions) installed from recovery mode, but the hdd installation wouldn't still boot).
Now, for some reason, neither the live usb of mint 18 boots any more (tried with different pendrives, ISO/DD writing, rufus/unetbootin, and they're not the problem since i'm using a live of mint 18 on an older notebook and it works perfectly).
Today i tried with ubuntu 15.10 live: it first booted successfully, then while trying to connect to a wi-fi network it freezed and since then the live usb never booted correctly again.
I tried even ubuntu 16.04 (which has never booted correctly) and a fedora live usb (which works on the older notebooks) and neither these two boot.

I changed my hdd with an ssd and nothing changes, disabled secure boot and tried with and without CSM without success.
These are the errors i get trying to boot live mint:
- on "normal" mode: "tpm_crb MSFT0101:00 can't request region for resource [mem 0xfed400400xfed4103f]", the memory region is always the same even with different hard disks and pendrives. after 5-10 minutes i get multiple errors like "NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU@5 stuck for 23s! [plymouthhd:261]"
- on compatibility mode: the pendrive seems turning off, i get "/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found" tons of times, and after several minutes it opens a busybox terminal.

On windows 10 everything works well without any issue, and the usb ports work.
So, what's happening? why i could at least boot at the begin, and now i can't even boot the live usb?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
myface64

Re: can't boot live usb

Post by myface64 »

While in win10, download the easy2boot software and install on your usb. Then put Linux distro into Linux folder and see if that will work for you. You can format the stick in fat32 or ntfs. Usb sticks, sometimes get corrupted. For me, it is the easy way to test Linux distros.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

thanks for the answer
i'm absolutely sure that it isn't a usb corrupted issue, because i tried with 3 different pendrives, downloaded distros at least 2 times each one and re-created live usb pendrives lots of times, but none of them works, neither with a dvd.

I created the pendrive with easy2boot, and with CSM enabled it booted correctly and i managed to install mint 18 (the live usb still generates same errors but boots).
The first 2 times it booted successfully, but it freezes on black screen while trying to shut down, and the exhaust fan is always at 100% speed (cpu usage seems normal).
I updated the kernel at 4.5 version, re-booted the system without new issues (but again with black screen while shutting down and fan at 100% speed)
Now, at the fourth time i boot up the system it takes a lot of time after the login, because cinnamon crashes, and at the fifth time it won't even reach the login window, stuck loading "intel_backlight.service".
myface64

Post by myface64 »

Just use 17 version 18 have some bugs. I installed the LMDE2 with Cinamon and everything was working fine. After upgrade to Cinamon 3, my HDMI quit working. I think that Cinamon 3 have some bugs. When KDE come out, did had a bunch of bugs. I am on 17.3 KDE and love it.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

just reinstalled mint 18, live usb wouldn't shut down and cinnamon crashes again (with the stock kernel, didn't update this time). At the last installation, cinnamon didn't crash for 2 boots (until i updated the kernel), now it crashed immediatly with stock kernel.
choosing "default session" instead of cinnamon while logging it doesn't crash, but still can't shut down or log out.

can't install mint 17.3 because, like i said, it has an abnormal cpu usare (1 core is always at 90-100%), and it doesn't support skylake processors (so i'd face many other problems)

what do i do?

edit: now the live usb built with easy2boot doesn't work anymore, i can't boot anything

Return to “Installation & Boot”