Mint was there.....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HvAs

Mint was there.....

Post by HvAs »

Hello.
I have a UEFI/EFI Toshiba Satellite C850-1C1, but I think my problem is more software related.

I had a fine working dual Boot with (at first win8.1) and Mint 17 as my main os.
A while ago wwhen I was running Mint there was an update and after the update the boot was only win (so grub was gone).

I tried allkinds off everything with no positive result! Reinstalling mint wend fine, but no grub......

So after the upgrade to win10, I decided to empty my hd and reinstall win10, followed by a new install of min 17.3
(that means sda2 was cleared also!!). This worked fine..

Until... again an update cam eby from Mint and I saw it moving something to sda2 and the result was again sh*t, windows only, so no grub/mint.

Since this is my only Uefi machine I can't see what went forward in sda2......
BTW does Mint keep a log off what is done with updates????

Anyone an idea to fix this (besides throwing away windows) ?????

grtz., Henry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chris53

Re: Mint was there.....

Post by Chris53 »

I’m no expert but here's a suggestion:

Have you tried booting Mint (or another distro) from a live USB? If not, give that a go, on Windows download "Unetbootin" and an iso image of Mint and use Unetbootin to create a bootable usb. Then restart your machine with the USB stick plugged in and try and boot from it. You may have to press a certain button to get a boot menu (Usually F12 or something) or you may have to change the boot order in the "Bios" menu. To get into the "bios" setup from Win10 follow these instructions

Navigate to settings. ...
Select Update & security.
Select Recovery from the left menu.
Click Restart Now under Advanced startup. ...
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
Click Restart.

If you can successfully boot the live USB, you may be able to fix it by using a tool called "boot-repair", or reinstalling GRUB by another method.

Return to “Installation & Boot”