Cannot install grub bootloader!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pyrax

Cannot install grub bootloader!

Post by Pyrax »

I made a bootable usb with Linux Mint 18 Mate on it. I boot it up live then on the desktop I click "Install Linux Mint". I got threw the process and everything is fine until then end. When installing grub, it says "Installing grub to /dev/sda" although, since I'm using seperate hard drives for windows and linux, I want grub to install to /dev/sdc. It pops up with an error saying "Cannot load grub to /dev/sda" then asks me to pick a new device to install bootloader on. I click on /dev/sdc but when I click OK, It doesn't do anything. It just loads for a sec then stays at the screen. I tried to continue without bootloader but when I do, the installation crashes. Any information would be helpful!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ImpulZ

Re: Cannot install grub bootloader!

Post by ImpulZ »

Heyho,

Did you had a look at this post already?

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

It explains very well were to install the bootloader.
* VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!! Near bottom of window, "Device for bootloader installation" should be the EFI System Partition. Select that one in the drop-down box. It will be a small (200-550MB) partition formatted as FAT32. It will likely be /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2; but double-check that to be sure.
I hope I could help.
Best regards,
ImpulZ

PS:
This is actually only the case if you got a modern Windows Version installed and/or you are using UEFI. But everything is explained in the post I mentioned.

Return to “Installation & Boot”