Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon not so good as it should be?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon not so good as it should be?

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:35 am

Pjotr wrote:But are they more than the inevitable teething troubles of an otherwise exceedingly fine LTS? :)
Yes. :!: Compare it with LM 17 (and ask richyrich, why he only half a year ago posted, that he continues to use it) or compare it with LM 13 (where no point-release did ever exist or was needed to solve teething troubles). If 18 is "exceedingly fine", what is 17.3 in comparison: celestial?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:50 am

altair4 wrote:Ubuntu 16.04 was not ready for prime time. 16.04.1 is no better.
I see the same here.
altair4 wrote:Anyhoo, I have consulted my crystal ball and I predict that this thread will either be closed or moved to the "Chat about Linux Mint" sub-forum.
Closed: With which reasoning?
Moved: OK, this is obviously no support thread.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:19 am

Anyhoo, I have consulted my crystal ball and I predict that this thread will either be closed or moved to the "Chat about Linux Mint" sub-forum.
You may be right altair4 and just to help it along I would like to say this:

Thank you to Pjotr for your idealistic and enthusiastic accolade of Linux Mint 18 which prompted some heated discussion.
Thank you to Cosmo for your thorough and eloquent presentation summarising Linux Mint 18 (Ubuntu's) failings and also for your thoughtfulness in providing a translation of Pjotr's exuberant accolade.
Thank you to Clem and the team for trying - we still love you and won't abandon ship (at least not yet) :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:19 am

kyphi wrote:won't abandon ship
Absolutely not :!: The goal is to make the new ship ready for heavy waves, as the trusted 17 vessel is.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:02 am

I've posted in other threads that I've only minor problems with Mint 18 Mate, but I thought I'd repeat it... but with a few details of the fixes/workarounds that I've applied. Just to reiterate; I've been using Mint 18 Mate as my main OS since the Beta release - before that I was using 17.3 Cinnamon.
  • gvfs/gvfsd-smb-browse high CPU usage after boot - workaround was: sudo chmod 744 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-smb-browse
  • List of Wifi Networks gone when resume from sleep and screen brightness on max - workaround was:
    Paste the following to a new document

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
    case $1/$2 in
      pre/*)
        exit 0
        ;;
      post/*)
        # Place resume commands here, or `exit 0` if no resume action required
    	echo 35 > /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/brightness
    	service network-manager restart
        ;;
    esac

Place in /lib/systemd/system-sleep and do "sudo chmod a+x /lib/systemd/system-sleep/name-of-script" to make executable
  • NetworkManager-wait-online.service and ModemManager.service taking too long to start, so slow boot - fix:
    systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    and assuming you don't need it (you might if you use Mobile Broadband?) systemctl mask ModemManager.service
(I'll add more as (if ;) ) I remember what I did. I'll go through my bash history to check later. I'd hope that none of the above will be necessary after 18.1 is released...)
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:44 am

And if you use samba do not do the first and last thing mentioned above.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:13 am

altair4 wrote:And if you use samba do not do the first and last thing mentioned above.
I didn't mention samba as I knew it was removed from the Mint 18 stable release, and the advice was to purge it if upgrading from the beta. It never occurred to me that others might need it and install it manually, which I realise now that I shouldn't have assumed anything ;)

BTW, I don't endorse my workarounds for other users, it's just what worked for me on my hardware - (For instance; you'll notice the Brightness fix is specific to my GFX hardware. )
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

myface64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface64 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:43 pm

I have a laptop ( Lenovo G51) and get on internet trough wi-fi. I hook up my 32inch tv to see better as my eyeballs are going bad. I did try all 3 flavours of 18 and experience wi-fi drop trough my laptop wi-fi and usb wi-fi. None of those have working "clone" hdmi. The new plasma do not have "clone" at all.
I installed LMDE2 and had Cinamon 2. After "upgrade" to Cinamon 3, I lost the hdmi clone. I really do not see much of progress right now. Still using 17.3 KDE where everything works fine and love it.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:06 am

After updating the kernel to 4.4.0-34 in Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon I am pleased to share that there have been no further application mishaps nor freezes that were previously experienced. Now LM 18 is looking very promising. Pjotr may have been right to give such high praise :)

There are still a few minor quirks to be fixed but overall the system is now stable. What a relief.

All that is left to do is:
1. Desirable software has to adjust to LM 18 and find its way into the repositories.
2. Font Viewer still does not open from the main menu (the fix posted on the blog, no. 284 does not work for me).
3. User-specified gsettings revert to default on reboot.

Please be very careful with kernel upgrades - just because it worked on my Asus laptop is no guarantee that it will work on your laptop and know how to restore your system if things go wrong.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Installation & Boot”