Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Live CD customization

Post by seabird74 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi everyne,

I have been following these instructions: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1784

My goal is to set up a live/install USB for my specific needs. Now when I follow these instructions to the letter (with Linux Mint 18) and then put the ISO to my usb stick it does not boot.

When I use the linux mint original ISO I get 3 partitions:
-Linux Mint 18
-Linux Mint (EFI)
-Empty non used space

When I burn my customized DVD it only creates one. (I am now testing by just adding one package to get it to work. Will do a lot more to it once I get it working)

Any clue where I am going wrong? (or does this tutorial just not work on 18??)

Thanks for the help

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Live CD customization

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Thiss howto is quite outdated, released iso images are now hybrid images supporting uefi and flash drives.

But you should first assure the standard iso image you created can boot using Virtualbox, select the iso image as the Live DVD to boot. If it doen't boot then you did something wrong in the first place.

seabird74
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seabird74 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi, the standard LM18 image boots just fine. Or do you mean the custom one?

Any better tutorials out there? I just want to have a base system set up (ppa's/software/settings) when installing my laptop or when I need to use another computer.

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:22 pm

seabird74 wrote:Hi, the standard LM18 image boots just fine. Or do you mean the custom one?
The one you created.
Any better tutorials out there? I just want to have a base system set up (ppa's/software/settings) when installing my laptop or when I need to use another computer.
I was mainly commenting on the iso partitions, I did not delve into the howto, would need to try myself to verify it works, but generated iso image not hybrid should at least boot as a LiveDVD in Virtualbox.

You may first proceed this way to assure the iso image was properly generated. Do not yet modify the Live System, skip instructions 3 to 7, only proceed with other instructions. When done and working right proceed with instructions 3-7 then regenerate the iso image. Converting an iso image to hybrid can be done using the isohybrid command from syslinux-utils package.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:38 pm

seabird74 wrote:I just want to have a base system set up (ppa's/software/settings) when installing my laptop or when I need to use another computer.
Then don't create a live USB. Install Mint to the USB the same way you would install to a hard drive.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

kb5050
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kb5050 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:04 am

Look for 2 small apps, USB Stick Formatter, and USB Image Writer.
They seem to work fine.
If your flash drive had some custom boot of some other image, you can use the Disks application to remove all partitions off the USB drive before attempting to create the image.

Now as stated can test in virtualbox or just boot it on any other computer as a test.
If your looking to make a persistent bootable flash then as stated best to do so using install to the USB treating it like a hard drive, but use a custom install thus to leave space for storing and your home folder etc.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=224912

Refracta Tools

Install Linux Mint 18 to a hardrive and set it up how you like then convert it too a live disk ISO.

Return to “Installation & Boot”