32-64

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teak

32-64

Post by teak »

Is it possible to load 64 bit onto 32 bit system? Is it possible to convert from one to another?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 32-64

Post by all41 »

You cannot load 64bit os on a 32bit cpu system.
However you can load 32bit on a 64bit system.
Convert from one to another?
How do you mean?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Is it possible to load 64 bit onto 32 bit system? No. A 32-bit Mint will refuse to install 64-bit packages because they don't work. A 64-bit Mint will refuse to install on a 32-bit system for the same reason.

"Is it possible to convert from one to another?" No. The .iso or the .deb is a finished product. You have to rewind two stages; obtain the source code, compile for the CPU that will be running the code.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I was wondering if this was referring to conversion of hardware?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
teak

Post by teak »

No, I thought may some command line would be able to change 32 to 64. I also wonder if I could have Cinnamon, with MATE and the other. Just for the help. gaining more knowledge. Thanks
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

teak wrote:I also wonder if I could have Cinnamon, with MATE and the other.
That is possible, but it's strongly recommended to do it by making several independent installations, each with only one desktop environment.

In theory, in some combinations, it may be possible to have different desktop environments on one installation, but not all combinations work. This is especially NOT recommended for newbies because you can quite easily get yourself into a pickle. So I advise you not to try this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”