New system same /home. Permissions issues.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bryzf
Level 1
Level 1

New system same /home. Permissions issues.

Post by bryzf »

A little knowlege is a dangerous thing.
I had a working (almost perfectly) LMDE system with /home on a different drive partition. I was having update problems with the sources list as the sources were not being found. I wanted to move to Linux Mint 19 Sarah, as the system is for my elderly parents (recently converted from windows with no regrets). I installed Sarah on a seperate partition of the second HDD, leaving the /home partition as is and didnt format it. The both systems show up in grub and both boot, however the load very slowly with error/warning messaged firstly;
$Users $Home/.drmc file is being ignored.This prevents the default session Language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.
I click OK and proceed towards desktop to get an error;
Could not update file /home/bri/.ICEauthority $Users $home directory should be owned by user and have 644 permissions ( or something very similar to the other message. I understand its because the /home is owned by the LMDE system not the Sarah system, question is how do I fix it.
Also when I try booting into the Sarah system it does a check disk ^c to cancel brings me to a Terminal screen, with enter root password for Maintainence, ^D to continue and Systemctl-*** for a couple of options and it can be tricky to get it to boot to desktop from there.
Should I just reinstall after backing up the home directories or will that not just create the same problems anyway. My parents are in their 80s so the less change or instructions to proceed for them the better.
Please Help.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: New system same /home. Permissions issues.

Post by Habitual »

bryzf wrote:A little knowlege is a dangerous thing.
I had a working (almost perfectly) LMDE system with /home on a different drive partition. I was having update problems with the sources list as the sources were not being found. I wanted to move to Linux Mint 19 Sarah, as the system is for my elderly parents (recently converted from windows with no regrets). I installed Sarah on a seperate partition of the second HDD, leaving the /home partition as is and didnt format it. The both systems show up in grub and both boot, however the load very slowly with error/warning messaged firstly;
$Users $Home/.drmc file is being ignored.This prevents the default session Language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.
I click OK and proceed towards desktop to get an error;
Could not update file /home/bri/.ICEauthority $Users $home directory should be owned by user and have 644 permissions ( or something very similar to the other message. I understand its because the /home is owned by the LMDE system not the Sarah system, question is how do I fix it.
Also when I try booting into the Sarah system it does a check disk ^c to cancel brings me to a Terminal screen, with enter root password for Maintainence, ^D to continue and Systemctl-*** for a couple of options and it can be tricky to get it to boot to desktop from there.
Should I just reinstall after backing up the home directories or will that not just create the same problems anyway. My parents are in their 80s so the less change or instructions to proceed for them the better.
Please Help.
Slow down.
If you haven't wasted more than just post time,
open a terminal and issue

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $(whoami) | pastebin
and paste here the resulting link.

This can be fixed.
Thank you,
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

If you would correct the problems in home, it would break it for LMDE.
So I recommend to install anew withe either another home partition (only for LM 18) or leave the home for sarah at the system partition.
Banzai Beagle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Banzai Beagle »

FYI I am getting the same error after attempting to share folders on 18.1 using the fix at this post: tutorial/view/1861

Return to “Installation & Boot”